It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Reading the other threads, I begin to despair. Many of the issues that will confront the new "Landscape" will never be resolved through endless discussion. Mostly, they are matters of opinion having no "Right" answer. Other positions are clearly self-serving. We will need an URU Czar to impose a direction and to enforce standards. Those standards should include cultural and quality issues. I hope Cyan doesn't just "Turn it over". Rather, the use of their IP should have very tight strings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

The genie is out of the bottle now, Shorahmin, and you can't put it back. The best you can do is find a shard with people of a similar view and join it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

No we don't.

The only ones i would trust to do this is Cyan, and they have others business;
And, freedoom is good :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
The genie is out of the bottle now, Shorahmin, and you can't put it back. The best you can do is find a shard with people of a similar view and join it.

...Or set up your own shard, where you can enforce the rules as you see fit. But bear in mind not everyone may think as you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 pm 

Quote:
And, freedoom is good

Indeed, but the question is: how much freedom is good?

If every server will have all kind of crazy things, I'll have no where to go. I would like to play uru, not secondlife.

Overall, I just don't uru to turn into a mass. Now when it has all chances to be so, I'll just wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:39 pm 

Everyone will have the freedom to play on the shards they like most. Even if there are shards where people can have Bahro avatars or where the Great Stairs are bright pink… so what? You don't have to play there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:50 pm 

ddfreyne wrote:
Everyone will have the freedom to play on the shards they like most. Even if there are shards where people can have Bahro avatars or where the Great Stairs are bright pink… so what? You don't have to play there.

Interesting coming from a cyantist?

A what if here...

There are no other servers/shards/pink fluffy marshmallows to play on which retain the feel of Uru as cyan envisioned?

Where does that leave me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:53 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Quote:
And, freedoom is good

Indeed, but the question is: how much freedom is good?

If every server will have all kind of crazy things, I'll have no where to go. I would like to play uru, not secondlife.

Overall, I just don't uru to turn into a mass. Now when it has all chances to be so, I'll just wait and see.

Answer: All freedom is good.

Look, the good thing about having a number of shards each doing their own thing is that they can all grow. There WILL be a canon/official/no-nonsense shard (probably organized as a union of the Guilds). That's where I imagine you'll spend most of your time. But there will also be shards where you can change the color of your skin and be abducted by shroomie in a rainbow-colored Teledahn and I'd imagine you won't be there. Each of these will rise or fall based on their conduct and openness. Perhaps the official shard will be wildly popular because of the new amounts of content people can produce. Perhaps the color-changing-shroomie-abduction-rainbow-Teledahnosity one will because people want to do that. The point is that we can all have our own flavor of Uru. What will be the challenge is making these changes optional so we won't have to have varying installations to run them (because I plan on going to as many shards as possible).

And if you don't want Uru to turn into a mass, then for Pete's sake don't bring in a church Age and we won't have to do one! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:14 pm 

I'm not worried.
I just wanted to say that.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

DarK wrote:
ddfreyne wrote:
Everyone will have the freedom to play on the shards they like most. Even if there are shards where people can have Bahro avatars or where the Great Stairs are bright pink… so what? You don't have to play there.

Not to diminish Denis' standing, but he's a website intern like Tweek, not a full-blown Cyan employee. I wouldn't read too much into company policy from his posts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
DarK wrote:

Not to diminish Denis' standing, but he's a website intern like Tweek, not a full-blown Cyan employee. I wouldn't read too much into company policy from his posts. :)

With all due respect to Tweek and Denis for the work they do on the website, especially while it's being cranky incarnate right now...I think it might be a good idea if their poasting color was something other than Cyan-employee blue. This isn't the first time in this melee that I've seen people miss the disclaimers.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Or perhaps their disclaimers should be in blue - and bolded, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not to derail this thread, but haven't Tweek and Denis been interns for well over a year now? Seems more like two. At my job interns were there for a semester (about four months). Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I hope Tweek and Denis stay for years more, but I have been curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

My siggie has always been bolded, people have been ignoring it since the day we became interns ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I vote myself lord and dictator of all!

anyone here want to veto that ?

thought not

(everyone is obviously too scared of me)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next