It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Like most of the posters above me, I disagree with you, Shorahmin. I don't think an imposed direction and enforced standards across all of the Uru universe are needed or even desirable. Enforcement of storyline direction and the like will naturally be handled by those who have the technical power, the shard owners. Technical interoperability standards will emerge on their own because everyone benefits from them.

However, your question is a valid one on a purely technical level, with the term "benevolent dictator" used in the specific sense that it usually has when applied to open source projects. Who will have write access to the source repository? Who will decide who gets write access? The natural candidate would be Cyan, but they don't have the capacity. I guess the best solution would be to use a decentralized version control system, and give only Cyan write access to the "trunk" (although they wouldn't use it except for the initial release). All development would happen in branches managed by individuals and groups from the community. Hopefully, in a similar way as for the shards, one or a few of them, perhaps maintained by the guilds, will emerge as the "main" ones.

But that is Cyan's problem and not ours. Wait and see, on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm 

If their is to be one person or one group of people in charge should it not be those who are most qualified and have the time.

so the one with the best qualifications and the time would win the position.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:15 pm 

Maybe you can be tsar of your own server if you want direction.

Part of the great thing about this is: decentralization. Basically if one dude happens to give up Uru or loses his server, everyone's not in the dumps.

We can live beyond one person or company's problems. Uru will live on as long as we the fans still want it to. We finally can start to make our dreams for Uru come true. :D

If we have the source we also will not need to use Cyan's data server. We can have completely fan-made-content servers. :D In this way even if Cyan's data server was to fail we would still have Uru.

I don't think we need to continue a life of someone saying: NO, your dreams must stay locked up. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it would bespoil the URU that was if on some shard somewhere one could equip their avatar with anatomically correct attachments and proceed to fornicate with other willing or unwilling avatars. I think we all know where this happens. Not all freedom is good. Some freedoms get abused. I don't want to be king of anything. I would like future URUs to respect the theme and culture of the original. I don't have a problem with pink or rainbow stairs. I do have a problem with abandoning that which held the fans loyal to the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorahmin wrote:
I think it would bespoil the URU that was if on some shard somewhere one could equip their avatar with anatomically correct attachments and proceed to fornicate with other willing or unwilling avatars. I think we all know where this happens. Not all freedom is good. Some freedoms get abused. I don't want to be king of anything. I would like future URUs to respect the theme and culture of the original. I don't have a problem with pink or rainbow stairs. I do have a problem with abandoning that which held the fans loyal to the original.

And a think a magority of us agree with that ,even those how want to do whatever they please.

Fact is : Uru will be what we want it to be. if we want a strict controlled environment, then, that can be done, If we want some OOC than can be done too.
And, as it seams that most of the peaple here want an IC environment, it's very probable there will be one (among other stuff).
But that's the beauty of it, we can do what we want without necessarily having to disturb the other .
I've been dreaming a having both an occ and an ic server running at the same time :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 pm 

Shorahmin, as much as I agree with you, people want to do their own things, even crazy things. I won't like some of those things (I suppose) and it seems you won't like some of them too. But we can't tell people what to do. Personally, I'll just go to IC servers (when I say IC, I mean no crazy stuff. I don't care if people TALK IC or OOC, the content matters).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

The stranger wrote:
Shorahmin, as much as I agree with you, people want to do their own things, even crazy things. I won't like some of those things (I suppose) and it seems you won't like some of them too. But we can't tell people what to do. Personally, I'll just go to IC servers (when I say IC, I mean no crazy stuff. I don't care if people TALK IC or OOC, the content matters).

Quite right :)
Weird, Stranger, one of yougest peaple here, acts most mature than his elders...

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm 

I always thought the younger generation needs to be smarter and more mature then the older ones cuz of the way technology and society is developing.

its nice to know its happening

Thank you Stranger

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:20 pm 

I fully expect to see some flat-out wierdness over the next few months in-game. It's going to be an echo of UU; people are gonna be doing whatever they want with their shards.

I only ask that we have at least one shard-- at least one-- that is regarded as "normal". Maybe a shard that most reflects the original status of MO:UL; one where we can add all the high-quality content that I'm sure will be pumping out of the community in the near future.

I don't really care if people want to have a 20-foot Bahro avatar and turn Kerath's Arch upside-down, in their server. But I'd like to be able to stick to the one(s) that are more catered towards higher-quality content and stories. More of a preserved stage for the players who are serious about adding to Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I only ask that we have at least one shard-- at least one-- that is regarded as "normal".
Have you looked at the prospective inter-guild shard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:24 pm 

I agree with calam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calam wrote:
I only ask that we have at least one shard-- at least one-- that is regarded as "normal".

Calam, I am very positive this will happen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

... seven - eight - nine - ten. I'll try to say this calmly for a moment. I have no doubt that there will be a family of shards (hopefully linked) that will remain true to the Myst canon. And I hope to contribute to these in some useful way.

However, the thought of Cyan's magnificent achievement being trashed by anyone still distresses me. I still hope that they put reasonable limits with sharp teeth on the license.

There, I did it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 pm 

Shorahmin wrote:
... seven - eight - nine - ten. I'll try to say this calmly for a moment. I have no doubt that there will be a family of shards (hopefully linked) that will remain true to the Myst canon. And I hope to contribute to these in some useful way.

However, the thought of Cyan's magnificent achievement being trashed by anyone still distresses me. I still hope that they put reasonable limits with sharp teeth on the license.

There, I did it. :)

What, will the license say, "This code may not be used in ways that deviates from Cyan's original vision"? Then it's not open source at all.

How are you affected by others doing something different from what you want on another shard?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next