It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:08 pm 

Personally, I'm looking forward to both types of server - canon and otherwise. I love the Uru canon (can't say how many times I've played through the Uru: CC and Live ages (when the latter were available through GT) over the years since first purchasing CC in 2004 - must be hundreds by now. And I've enjoyed the canon ages every time.

However, I'm also looking forward to seeing the new stuff people will create, including some of the wackier ideas. I know there will be a canon shard/server collection/call-it-what-you-will. I'll be a frequent flier (I mean linker) there. I will also be poking around the new ages that don't necessarily fit the canon, to get ideas of what Uru is capable of. I'm a natural explorer that way, I guess.

So, when I want to ground and center - I know the canon shard will be there. When I want to stretch out a bit, that's where the new stuff will come in. Variety and the original - talk about having your cake and eating too...

:)

Respectfully...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maritova wrote:

What, will the license say, "This code may not be used in ways that deviates from Cyan's original vision"? Then it's not open source at all.

Typical snippets would be something like:

"Cyan Worlds Inc. reserves the right to revoke individual or group licenses if, it its sole judgment or the judgment of its designated representative(s), the use of its intellectual property substantially deviates from normally accepted community standards of behavior or obscenity."

"Cyan World's intellectual property shall not be used to aid or enhance the sale or marketing of any product without Cyan World's written consent."

"Cyan Worlds grants licenses only to groups or individuals with a demonstrated commitment to quality in the use of its intellectual property. Quality shall be broadly interpreted. However, Cyan world's reserves the right to revoke individual or group licenses if, in its sole judgment or the judgment of its designated representative(s), the licensee has not maintained for an excessive period."

I don't know if they intend to go this way. I just hope they do.

Maritova wrote:
How are you affected by others doing something different from what you want on another shard?

I'm affected the same way when some hack butchers Hamlet or another Beatles impersonator ruins one of their songs. Greatness should be respected for its own sake. What Cyan did should not be treated like or used for junk. And that choice should be theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorahmin, I can appreciate your sentiments. A knockoff, especially what some would call a cheap one, has the potential to detract from something that is truly original. Yet, if Cyan put some of the limitations into license and affect as you have indicated , I doubt very much (as Maritova has stated) the 'code' they evidently have decided to rework into and release as Open Source, would be considered to be open and really qualify as such.

Cyan has by releasing their intent to the media and the community set upon, it seems firmly, the Open Source path. To be considered Open Source, there is some release and relaxation of control over program code to qualify which implies some limits upon Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I'm affected the same way when some hack butchers Hamlet or another Beatles impersonator ruins one of their songs. Greatness should be respected for its own sake. What Cyan did should not be treated like or used for junk. And that choice should be theirs.

And they made the choice to have people make their own choices. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:13 am 

If we are going to have a dictator, there is really only one choice. He understands D'ni better than anyone else...

All hail King Esher, first king of the new Age of Kings!

Assuming he's alive and we can find him. :wink:

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:57 am 

Phffffft. You can keep your delusions of grandeur Samsbase. It makes for great entertainment for everyone. :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
And they made the choice to have people make their own choices. 8)

A visitor to China once came upon a group of men pulling a fully loaded barge up a river, working from along the shore. Each man held a rope attached to the barge, and all strained to move it upriver. Another man, holding a large whip, stood alongside the men. Should any of them try to let their rope go slack, the man would whip them until they once again pulled the rope taut. Horrified, the visitor approached the group of men and offered his help in getting them free from the man with the whip. As they struggled against the current, they forcefully rejected the visitor’s offer, and politely but firmly told him to move on. “We hired him to do that,” they said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:30 am 

DarK wrote:
ddfreyne wrote:
Everyone will have the freedom to play on the shards they like most. Even if there are shards where people can have Bahro avatars or where the Great Stairs are bright pink… so what? You don't have to play there.

Interesting coming from a cyantist?

A what if here...

There are no other servers/shards/pink fluffy marshmallows to play on which retain the feel of Uru as cyan envisioned?

Where does that leave me?

With a reason to set up your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 am 

I'm the dictator!

I'll set up a CANNON server.

~Joey "Fearless Leader" Lubbertuckle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 am 

Shorahmin wrote:
Maritova wrote:

What, will the license say, "This code may not be used in ways that deviates from Cyan's original vision"? Then it's not open source at all.

Typical snippets would be something like:

"Cyan Worlds Inc. reserves the right to revoke individual or group licenses if, it its sole judgment or the judgment of its designated representative(s), the use of its intellectual property substantially deviates from normally accepted community standards of behavior or obscenity."

"Cyan World's intellectual property shall not be used to aid or enhance the sale or marketing of any product without Cyan World's written consent."

"Cyan Worlds grants licenses only to groups or individuals with a demonstrated commitment to quality in the use of its intellectual property. Quality shall be broadly interpreted. However, Cyan world's reserves the right to revoke individual or group licenses if, in its sole judgment or the judgment of its designated representative(s), the licensee has not maintained for an excessive period."

I don't know if they intend to go this way. I just hope they do.

Maritova wrote:
How are you affected by others doing something different from what you want on another shard?

None of those would meet the FSF's Free Software definition, and I'm pretty sure they'd fail the OSI's looser Open Source definition, too. Which would mean claiming Uru is open source would be a violation of trademark law in the US, if memory serves.

I sincerely hope that, at worst, they 'inflict' such restrictions only on the Ages and such, letting us use the server for similar, not-D'ni things. I know I have some ideas that would fly in the face of what some claim is the 'spirit' of Uru, but I think they'd be fun anyway.

It'd be even cooler if they left it open enough for me to implement Douglas Sharper Bahro Hunter X-treme! 3D though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 am 

Joey Zoonishii wrote:
I'm the dictator!

I'll set up a CANNON server.

~Joey "Fearless Leader" Lubbertuckle

Yay cannons! Boom boom boom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 am 
Obduction Backer

The Great Cone rules all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 am 

I vote Kadish Dictator of ALL :D

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:57 am 

One thing I'll hate to see is people continuing the official storyline. Fans story is fine and I also want it. But I'm sure people will continue the official storyline. That would cause tons of cofusion.

(btw, another thing I don't want to see is cyan worlds telling us the story that was planned and everything. I heared people want that. What if they WILL return to develop? personally I hope they will take good things from every server, and than open 4 servers, one in which the story continues, and give us some great content... oops, I'm dreaming. Anyway, you never know what will happen, just like when gametap came. I rather stay in mystery than take the chance. Besdie, it's fun)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 am 

I have never deviated from the offical story line and i never plan to :) that is the reason i am in URU MOUL and what i plan to continue. Other avenues are like Ages, they are fun for ppl and i hope they enjoy them but i wont be in them unless they are canon. thanks and shorah. If there is a nice connection to the original story and the new material or area is nicely made, then i will be there as an explorer happily.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next