It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mowog wrote:
Rather than a dictator per se, perhaps something like a Guild of Canon would be more appropriate. Such a Guild could explore new Ages, particularly Ages purporting to adhere to the Canon, and approve these Ages or offer suggestions before the books are released.

You rang? ;)

Quote:
BUT WHATEVER WE DO:

The focus needs to be on Uru, and any Writers attempting to focus on Canon, as well as the GoC itself, will need to keep Uru topmost in their minds. Meaning, suggestions by the GoC would need to be respected by the Writers, if such suggestions will help the Writers adhere to Canon.

Please note that I'm all for some no-holds-barred Ages as well! Heck, that's what makes Catherine so fascinating. I think there's a definite place for "sandbox" Ages like Catherine's Torus, where writers created them "just because they could." But it will need to be made clear to explorers that such Ages are entirely the work of other explorers, and have nothing to do with D'ni history, traditions, etc.

I'd like to make it clear that while the Guild of Archivists will (Cyan permitting) be offering their services to anyone who wants to have their Age, story, or Cavern area added to the D'ni extended universe (I'm deliberately avoiding the word "canon" here, since strictly speaking only Cyan can take things that far), we will not be waving the Canon Stick (would that be related to a Boom Stick? ;)) around with impunity. The GoA "seal of approval" would be entirely optional for any fan-created content, but can be used by explorers and shard owners to decide if they want to visit/add it, so canon-friendly IC-oriented shards may not pick up everything the community puts down, while other - perhaps more OOC-oriented - shards are still welcome to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aeronie wrote:
Only one group has been proven avid fans since Myst started.

They've stayed out of all the community politics.

They are fully supportive of Cyan and all their works.

Most of all you newbies prolly haven't heard of them.

I speak of the Lysters. Cyan is even part of the Lyst.

Might be worth engaging them.

The Lyst has stayed out of politics? Really? Well then, I guess you don't count any of the people on the original Mysterium committee or the newly created Mysterium committee as "oldbies" or "avid fans".

Oh, and this whole "newbie" vs. "oldbie" thing is a little old by now. I am an "oldbie" back from the days of Rivenguild (heh, probably before you joined...late 1997 or early 1998?), and some of my best friends in this community are what you would consider "newbies". And honestly, even though I'm an "oldbie", some of the people you would call "newbies" are more avid fans than I am. Just because I've been around for a while, doesn't mean I'm as much of a hardcore fan as some of the more recently-joined people.

So how about you back off the classification system and let us all just be one community? It's people like you who cause this whole community to be as fractured as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:58 pm 

I didn't say I try to control everyone. I just thought it will be better for a united uru. Beside, I said for a number of times that this agreement is only if everyone agree. If they are not, OK than.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

oh! pick me! pick me!

I can definately be a Benevolent Dictator.

The Benevolent part is gonna be a cinch. Cave Dwellers would ask , "May I", and I would say "Yes."

The Dictator part might be harder, 'cause as I know next to nothing about how or when, I would not be able to provide any direction. But the flood of PM's would make me feel so popular!

I feel, at least just to begin with, we would have to say 'no limits, no guidance'. We have to know what we have, and how to do it, before we can make a decision. Then the guidelines that we need, will be a better fit, and come more naturally.
(The exception to this might be goals that might be too ambitious...maybe have some things be put on hold for a month or so. But that would be a first guideline....to start slowly, and review. Not to crash anything.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zardoz wrote:
Tomala wrote:
And they made the choice to have people make their own choices. 8)

A visitor to China once came upon a group of men pulling a fully loaded barge up a river, working from along the shore. Each man held a rope attached to the barge, and all strained to move it upriver. Another man, holding a large whip, stood alongside the men. Should any of them try to let their rope go slack, the man would whip them until they once again pulled the rope taut. Horrified, the visitor approached the group of men and offered his help in getting them free from the man with the whip. As they struggled against the current, they forcefully rejected the visitor’s offer, and politely but firmly told him to move on. “We hired him to do that,” they said.

This is so refreshing. Viva la choice.

Fear-mongering is so very tiresome.

It seems that the more cries for control there are, the more those criers then suggest the best ways to do the controlling. Try giving up needing control and just see what happens. After all, no one can actually force someone else to play on one shard or another..... the minute that demon raises its head another, free-wheeling shard will appear. There will be a place for everyone. That's my prediction.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is my 2 cents worth of input...

I would prefer to have all of the Guilds unite and do what MORE was planning to do (except that they go off on whatever/wherever storyline tangent that the Guild members agree to go), by gathering input from all of the programmers out there and trying to compile it into one more or less consistent storyline.

However, I really enjoy playing Half-Life mods that have been created my independent programmers. Some of them are extremely well done with long involved game play. I don't know if it is as easy to create Uru (Myst Online) programs, but I would not be opposed to individual programmers loading their storyline creations on a website like FilePlanet for the rest of us to download onto our already present Uru game. (Is this even possible?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
but I would not be opposed to individual programmers loading their storyline creations on a website like FilePlanet for the rest of us to download onto our already present Uru game. (Is this even possible?)
I think this is where the open-source code base (repository) is heading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:23 am 

IMO, the Guilds should work together to make the "primary" shard... this would be the shard that in the future, Cyan can continue the story through (pulling the data from the Guild shard or connecting with it making it the "New D'Mala" shard) when the time comes... the Guild controlled shard I would think would help alot because the guilds could then control better what does and does not happen on their servers (for example no pink great stairs).. meanwhile other groups could start shards where they can do whatever they want. By having a "guild controlled" shard, administration would be done by the guilds OOC and IC, the guilds would be active carrying on a Storyline that the explorers and guilds will have control over.. When Cyan does come back with the new content (I know i should be more cautiously optimistic instead of just overly optimistic) the DRC could return and continue the Cyan Storyline based on where the guilds take us as a whole...

I know what some of the naysayers will say about the guilds controlling the shard and "elitism"; but, maybe we should have an "official" shard that the storyline can continue on. when Cyan comes back with the resources to continue, it would be this shard that would allow a smooth transition to the Cyan storyline again. The reason i say the guild controlled shard should be the "official" shard (if cyan doesn't host their own from the outset of course) is because the guilds could control the content quality making it into the official story, they can screen changes and seem to already have some great programmers and testers (between the guild of writers and maintainers) to hopefully prevent any corruption or "unnatural" changes someone would try to do to the game as a whole (the guild would be able ot say no to pink stairs or unnaturally huge cones and Bahro (sorry I'm a big cone fan too (no pun intended) but in an official capacity we need a sense of normality to at least one shard)

If you want the strange and unusual, I'm certain there WILL be shards to allow it, but we need a shard that has some "official" status to it IMO..

note: if there are any typos or nonsensical sentences in my post sorry, it is after all 1:30am here and I'm just heading to bed. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 am 
Obduction Backer

klaxen, what you don't understand, is nothing is "official" anymore, nor will it be, except for Cyan-created things.

You can't just lump a bunch of Guilds together and call it "Official".

In an open source world, /all/ versions are as "official" as another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 am 

kaelisebonrai wrote:
klaxen, what you don't understand, is nothing is "official" anymore, nor will it be, except for Cyan-created things.

You can't just lump a bunch of Guilds together and call it "Official".

In an open source world, /all/ versions are as "official" as another.

but see what i meant by "official" has to do with concerns of some in the community about "rainbow Teledahns" and Pink stairs and also storyline... the code will be open sourced yes, but i was just suggesting that we had a "main shard" that those who would want ot continue cyan's vision and story on could do so.. seeing as the guilds were started in the gametap MOUL story arc, i was just suggesting that that story could be continued in a shard controlled by the guilds (not a "maintainers shard" or "writers shard" but a shard that is a collaboration of the guilds together in order to at least have some storyline continuity for when Cyan does return to the Uru project. There can't be an "official shard" in the capacity of what i think u thought I meant... I was just suggesting for those of us that want to carry on the story and "canon" of Uru be through a shard that is a collaboration between the guilds that were created IC and OOC during the last Cyan story arc. it doesn't have ot be a guild run shard or anything, I was just suggesting a shard that could in essence be the "continuation" of story from the past (just like D'mala became leading into MOUL) i only suggested the Guilds run it because they already have some structure and collaboration that could help make it possible.

I personally will be hopefully hopping from one shard to another over all however, i Believe we need something canon for when cyan comes back... just as a launching pad for the future of Uru.

I understand with open source there can't be anything officially official all i am suggesting is a shard to continue Cyan's vision of storyline on (it would make alot more sense for instance to have all the guilds appearing on the same shard together working in collaboration verses having seperate shards for each guild for the story concepts.... i guess what i mean is that we should have someplace where the story of the past can continue while we all have our seperate communities (like in Moul where the real action took place in the Public city but our hoods each had our own private instances of the city.
What we can hopfully do is find a way to have cross-shard communication and linking in the future to make the shards like one large shard. If this could happen, my ideas here would be moot......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
the code will be open sourced yes, but i was just suggesting that we had a "main shard" that those who would want ot continue cyan's vision and story on could do so..

Fans cannot continue Cyan's vision because they don't know which direction Cyan wanted to go. You can guess what their entire vision is, you can make your own storyline, but no matter how close it may be to a Cyan storyline, it will not be a Cyan storyline or in their vision. Though in the future if Cyan comes back to Uru, they may make it part of their vision.

Then again maybe I'm wrong... When I followed the storyline I didn't expect flying bahro, or good or evil bahro, or even two girls dying.

So, do you know something we don't? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:50 am 

no I just mean that we know roughly where they were going (with the idea of guilds and more explorer involvement) based on the last Gametap Episode. So all I meant is if we as the explorers continue the story on our own as if the DRC left and we stayed behind and the guilds became reality etc...so when i was speaking of a shard to carry on the story that is what i meant, a shard that has the Explorers' story continuing (just without the DRC or Yeesha present) in an environment that is consistent with the rest of canon.. remember anything we would do in MOUL was technically "canon" in that it actually happened... i just think it would be a good idea ot have a shard where this could continue (actions we as explorers and guilds could be continued to be added to canon (while other shards could have pink stairs and rainbow Teledahns that are obviously non-canon).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Ok, so similar to what went on in Until Uru. Would be interesting to see how far that goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 am 

Oh I like the idea of a Shard built by the Guilds; mind if I steal that? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:32 am 
Obduction Backer

MustardJeep wrote:
Oh I like the idea of a Shard built by the Guilds; mind if I steal that? :wink: :lol:

Exactly. Lets see who's canon is firing at who. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next