It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Funding MORE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

CYAN can only do things which are fully funded at present.

How much would it cost for the community to fully fund the start up and maintenance of MORE at this time?

Would that be the quickest way to get us all back in URU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 pm 

Take a look at the front page

We are now MORE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Isn't there a difference between MORE and the recent announcement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:31 pm 

MORE will never happen if cyan does goes ahead and make the game open source!

They will only retain rights to the content, and not the actual engine and code.

Unless they are using a modified agreement, in which case it won't be "open source", but whatever cyan lays out.

To be honest, if cyan is making it true open source, I think financially, cyan’s pockets are empty, and this is truly an immense gift we are getting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:57 pm 

An open-source Uru will be like the Great Tree... Cyan can benefit by incorporating any changes in the branches that are beneficial to the growth of the Tree. Perhaps what may appear to be a wayward branch will become what the Tree needs to blossom again? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:57 pm 

I'm sure shard owners will be taking donations at some point. Then you can support whichever shard(s) you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

DarK wrote:
MORE will never happen if cyan does goes ahead and make the game open source!
They will only retain rights to the content, and not the actual engine and code.
If Cyan had the resources, I'm sure that Cyan could still go ahead and do whatever they might wish to do with URU/MORE - whether the code goes open-source or not.
And I believe that the community would flock to a Cyan-approved version, partly because Cyan would uphold certain standards and partly because it would function as a central meeting grounds, as opposed to the multiplicities of shards that players will pop in and out of.
(For instance, in UU days it became necessary for a few clever programmers to establish several "Who's Online" mini-apps that allowed players to track where their friends might be hanging out)

Quote:
To be honest, if cyan is making it true open source, I think financially, cyan’s pockets are empty, and this is truly an immense gift we are getting!
Truly!
...and if a means of contributing to Cyan for their generosity becomes available, that's the first place any donation monies I can afford are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

It of course would be up to Cyan. Open Source projects (for instance, Blender) do receive public and company contributions from those who wish to assist in this manner. As Cyan is working on an Open Source URU code, is their any reason why they could not setup a similar means to help fund and facilitate, and perhaps expedite, the process? Those who so desire could help Cyan through this means.

As a long shot, perhaps it could even help Cyan establish their own server domain for the hosting of the official Canon of URU and who knows, maybe put some fuel in the pipeline for eventually some new official content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:15 pm 

RW. wrote:
It of course would be up to Cyan. Open Source projects (for instance, Blender) do receive public and company contributions from those who wish to assist in this manner. As Cyan is working on an Open Source URU code, is their any reason why they could not setup a similar means to help fund and facilitate, and perhaps expedite, the process? Those who so desire could help Cyan through this means.

As a long shot, perhaps it could even help Cyan establish their own server domain for the hosting of the official Canon of URU and who knows, maybe put some fuel in the pipeline for eventually some new official content.

Agreed! :D

We do desparately need a Cyan-controlled server to hold Cyan-santioned content (they could cherry-pick from the user produced stuff and add to this Canon, as well as adding their own stuff when they get into a position so to do) - the point being that it is unchangeable by anyone other than Cyan.

It could be used as a kind of Template, so if anyone's Shard gets nadgered, they can do an installation from the Cyan-server to get the most up-to-date canon baseline.

Now whether any players would actually be allowed to link to Cyan-sanctioned, pure Ages ..... that's a different mattter. :lol:

EDIT: forgot to say, yes to donations for this kind of thing (IM-not-so-HO, of course :wink: )

She's quite, quite mad, you know (sadly shaking head)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:32 pm 

DarK wrote:
Take a look at the front page

We are now MORE!

Please re-read the front page, when MORE was announced ONLY the plugin was going open source

MORE failed, MOOSE is coming

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

Cyan Web Site wrote:
So, Cyan has decided to give make MystOnline available to the fans by releasing the source code for the servers, client and tools for MystOnline as an open source project. We will also host a data server with the data for MystOnline. MORE is still possible but only with the help from fans.

Several parts of that paragraph have been taken to mean different things. However, I think it is clear we are getting more than the plug-in now. Whether this creates MORE or MOOS or MOOSE is poorly defined. Does the "MORE is still possible but only with the help from fans." mean Cyan considers this OSUL part of the experiment?

There are questions I added the list of Questions for Cyan here on MOUL after reading their announcement.

What is the deal going to be on the MOUL ages?
What is meant by 'host a server with the data'?
Will they allow anyone to have income from use of this material?

If Cyan restricts their content (ages - the textures, sounds, buildings, land, etc.) will those running Uru servers be able to use it? Or will the new Uru be only UCC stuff?

Will the data server be a vault for in game play or is this just a repository for age files? People seem to have various opinions on this one.

There is a consensus among the technically computer literate that there is going to be some significant operation cost for decent game play in an Uru MMO server. Another part of the community think a cheap UU solution is possible. We don't know. But, if there is a significant cost to operation will server operators be able to charge admission, accept donations, create in-game economics? We don't know.

We do know several RPG's are financed by donations only. Other environments have several ways for fans to pay for the game servers or at least the bandwidth they consume. We do not know if we want to adopt those or if we even can. While we speculate and debate those issues, we have no solid basis for a consensus to form around.

Others have speculated on what we would need to pay Cyan to fund MORE. Fan run servers are likely way cheaper.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm 

My take on the data server is that the MOUL content data is pretty large, so Cyan will have it available to download to use with the source code rather than everyone having to host it themselves. It won't really be Uru without the content. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:53 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
I'm sure shard owners will be taking donations at some point. Then you can support whichever shard(s) you'd like.

Somebody mentioned rewards for donations?? As I recall a lot of people mentioned Cones for their Relto, how about taking both of these ideas and adding a few frills and dressings? A donation of $(A) gives you a small cone, a donation of $(B) gives you a regular size cone, and a donation of $(C) and above gives you a large cone. The more often you donate the more cones you get, and if your Relto is getting to crowded with donation cones just kick a few over the edge.

what-do-ya think?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
Will the data server be a vault for in game play or is this just a repository for age files? People seem to have various opinions on this one.

My take on that is that people are getting confused between a data server and a database server. A data server hosts files and a database server hosts the vault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Whilyam wrote:

Somebody mentioned rewards for donations?? As I recall a lot of people mentioned Cones for their Relto, how about taking both of these ideas and adding a few frills and dressings? A donation of $(A) gives you a small cone, a donation of $(B) gives you a regular size cone, and a donation of $(C) and above gives you a large cone. The more often you donate the more cones you get, and if your Relto is getting to crowded with donation cones just kick a few over the edge.

what-do-ya think?

Bad idea IMO... Then Uru would become more like those other MMO's, where you have to buy things in order to personalise your stuff a little more, you would have to buy a cone in order to be a real explorer. Nothing wrong with donations, but they shouldn't be visibly measurable in the game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next