It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Does anyone wish....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm 

Does anyone here wish that (I know that Cyan can't support it at the moment) Uru were going to be Cyan created instead of fan run? I know I do... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:27 pm 

I do (at least, with fan involvement). But they can't do that, so we are the only ones who can keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Of course! I think a lot of us do. There's so much I would like to hear about the D'ni that only Cyan can release...

However, there's nothing to do about that. I'm just going to enjoy the open-source Uru! I'm sure the fans will come with nice things as well... they already have. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't. That is, I don't wish Uru was Cyan-created instead of fan-created - I wish it was both. And if Cyan-created means we get even more Bahro bogeymen and DRC office politics, I'll take fan-created over Cyan-created, at least as far as the storyline is concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 pm 

But I loved the bogeymen! :shock:

Yep, like zardoz said- both cyan AND fan involvment. If it comes with DRC and bahro, even better (sorry, had to say it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 pm 

With all my heart I wish Uru had been Cyan produced Five Years Ago.

But that is water under the bridge.

Uru in the Fan's hands stands a better then even chance of continuing to exist long term. A lot of work and it might even manage to become something again that showcases the Artistic talent that had always been part of the Myst Franchise. The Fan's may be custodians, stewards, or what ever you wish to add to Uru as we are able but that is the one thing that I wouldn't give up in this mess; The Fans can add to Uru.

Now we just have to wait thru the oddly long wait to get the Client/Server software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:04 am 

Gotta say that if you have seen/heard/read any of the interviews with Rand Miller about Uru and what his intentions and visions were for the game, it is obvious that the fans MUST be involved as well as Cyan and they always were.

Open source will be mostly fans and less Cyan, yet there are 3 things to note about this:

1) Open source does not take Cyan out of the picture ,NOR does it stop them from coming back and creating content and any time.

2) Cyan is a company that has had many creative and talented people in and through it's doors. These people did not suddenly become artists when hired by Cyan. There are many talented and creative people that have not worked for Cyan as well. (think -Exile , RealMyst, Revelation, other adventure games you have enjoyed simple or complex) It is not necessarily the company that makes Uru. It is the people behind the keyboards and cameras and instruments, not to mention the slightly caffeine stricken twisted minds, that have given us the game we all love and crave.

3) Open source is a darn site better than UntilUru where the mere static state of the game deteriorated its' enjoyment. And even in that static state it was the fans that kept it alive and interesting with their creativity----- dances, karoake, sardines, marker quests, ect.

I rather look forward to this being opened up a little to the creativity of people who love the game.

<tap> <tap> <tap> still waiting ...........

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:24 am 

Quote:
1) Open source does not take Cyan out of the picture ,NOR does it stop them from coming back and creating content and any time.

My only concern is that once/if they will revive and will want to return to the game andd develop it as they always wanted, it won't be any good for them because people already have free servers. As much as odd as it sounds, I hope that if cyan worlds return, they will gather all the good things from each shard, close the shards, and open their own 4-5 shards with one being the official one. Or at least make some kind of of monthly fee for each server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:08 am 
Obduction Backer

you don't understand open source...

If it really is, as Cyan puts it, "Open Source". Then.. they cannot, I repeat, cannot, close the shards.

If they have lied to us, then, sure, but, I'd be giving them the finger, and telling them where to stuff their "official" version.

Just because there are free servers, does not mean that Cyan will never be able to run a official server.

Look around at the forums...

In the words of Ti'ana... What do you see?

Look at the many posts... and What do you see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:45 am 

Quote:
Just because there are free servers, does not mean that Cyan will never be able to run a official server.

Yes they will. But people rather play the free servers, and cyan gets no money. No good.

So if they can't close shards, will they at least be able to take a monthly fee from people who are playing uru, no matter which shard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Look closer..
What do you see?

I see many people demanding.. or crying for... (or whatever) Cyan approved, or official canon content... etc. Cyan's stuff. Stuff *only* Cyan can ever provide.

I believe they will pay for that. The demands for Cyan's products, for Cyan's vision is still strong, as evidenced by this forum.
This demand is likely to grow, as an open source uru gets attention from the open source communities... from the larger gaming communties.. I believe this community will rally behind Cyan like they did in the days of D'mala.. It was all about "support Cyan!" while I was there, at least.

And, no, the way that open source works, they will not be able to charge people on shards not owned/run by them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

Quote:
And, no, the way that open source works, they will not be able to charge people on shards not owned/run by them.

So there's no reason for cyan to return ever?

Sad. Really sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mr S, don't give up just yet.

Tony Fryman wrote:
...we could not just let it whither and die. We still have hopes that someday we will be able to provide new content for UruLive and/or work on the next UruLive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:38 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Quote:

So there's no reason for cyan to return ever?

Sad. Really sad.

Why would you say that? They can still make and sell journeys. id Software released the source code for Quake and they still produce and sell it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:43 pm 

I just hoped to see, maybe, one day (not many chances but there's hope) a real version of uru. But the real uru. Not "second life uru- the cyan worlds addition". But once cyan worlds open source it- it appears there's no reason for them to return and develop. They will get no money, because people have free shards, and now I know that they can't even take a monthly fee from other servers.

It's just a shame to see cyan worlds completely out of the frame, with no true reason to return.

Don't get e wrong though. I'm really looking forward for the open source uru. But I hoped there's a chance for a cyan worlds uru again...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next