It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
/me hugs IE6 and promises never to delete it, and waves to everyone enjoying whatever browser they like and enjoy.. as it is a big world and there is room for us all :)

You aren't complying to standards.

You aren't complying to standards.

*slams hand down against his desk, and the Riven iBook that he's been trying to stabilize*

What kind of FOOL are you?!

*sighs, then looks at the iBook where he's been having to code in horrible debilitating ways in order to support IE6*

Welcome... to the part of the internet that refuses to evolve. You and I... will be here forever.

---

Wait, that's not how that scene goes? Oh. But man, CrisGer... I think you had any idea how much those old shoddy browsers hurt and confound the art for those of us who do it for a living, or even just those who want the internet to continue evolving, rather than having to sit and stagnate in just one place while waiting for people to wise up and catch up... you'd probably be trying to convince people to upgrade too.

Everyone is entitled to their own choice of OS, browser, and various other forms of software, but once you're using a browser that's eight years behind the curve, you're just hurting everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 pm 

CrisGer wrote:
/me hugs IE6 and promises never to delete it, and waves to everyone enjoying whatever browser they like and enjoy.. as it is a big world and there is room for us all :)

/ROTFL.....Good for you Dr.Cris, if everyone threw everything out after it was a couple of years old there would be no antiques today and look at what they are worth today :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm 

By the way, I'd much rather spend time enhancing the web site than spend time making it compatible with broken browsers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:45 pm 

IE6 -Tthe World's first digital antique? :shock:

And I might just take up the challenge of making the first Uru-based browser... sometime. 8)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm using I.E.7 (with XP updated ) and not having any issues....hmmmm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Well, there's always Safari...

(hides from the barrage of rotten tomatoes)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 am 
Obduction Backer

So what browser do those of you who don't like IE prefer? I installed Firefox, but it seemed to have an issue with other programs in my computer. (Or they had issues with it) Since it is a new computer, MOST of what I have in here is microsoft at the moment. . . including Vista, which I don't much like :evil: (ugggh)

Last edited by Mystdee on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:48 am 

Mystdee wrote:
So what browser do those of you who don't like IE prefer? I installed Firefox, but it seemed to have an issue with other programs in my computer. (Or they had issues with it) Since it is a new computer, MOST of what I have in here is mocrosoft at the moment. . . including Vista, which I don't much like :evil: (ugggh)

I use Firefox, currently version 3.0.5. I don't know how I ever survived surfing the internet without my AdBlock and Greasemonkey. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
Mystdee wrote:
So what browser do those of you who don't like IE prefer? I installed Firefox, but it seemed to have an issue with other programs in my computer. (Or they had issues with it) Since it is a new computer, MOST of what I have in here is microsoft at the moment. . . including Vista, which I don't much like :evil: (ugggh)

I use Firefox, currently version 3.0.5. I don't know how I ever survived surfing the internet without my AdBlock and Greasemonkey. :P

I Liked firefox, but things were a bit weird, maybe I'll try it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 am 

Google Chrome is nice on Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:34 am 

Chrome is nice, but has no extension system (yet) and the bookmark system is sub-par. It's still a work in progress though, so that will probably change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 am 
Obduction Backer

People keep telling me to use chrome, but I've been using Firefox since it was just Mozilla and wasn't released as a new flashy thing. That and I love my plugins.. I only see javascript and ads when I want to, no sooner. Oh, and thanks for not making the site rely on so much excess code.. scripting or not it's remarkably well-behaved compared to pages that are say exclusively flash with the text in the flash. That and excesses of javascript are what are REALLY breaking the internet. As far as I'm concerned if it won't even load in say lynx (even if it has major layout problems, which is understandable) you have a problem.

But I still use firefox for browsing, and haven't wanted to switch yet. (The first thing I did with my new computer was fire up IE, download firefox, change default browser, and never touched IE again)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 am 

Gondar wrote:
That and excesses of javascript are what are REALLY breaking the internet. As far as I'm concerned if it won't even load in say lynx (even if it has major layout problems, which is understandable) you have a problem.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe excess use of bad JavaScript... but there is so much you can do that makes the web-browsing experience much better -- something like jQuery, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 am 

ddfreyne wrote:
By the way, I'd much rather spend time enhancing the web site than spend time making it compatible with broken browsers. :)

My feelings exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am 

Gondar wrote:
People keep telling me to use chrome, but I've been using Firefox since it was just Mozilla and wasn't released as a new flashy thing.

Firefox was never Mozilla ;-). Mozilla was a full-out browser suite, Firefox was released as the boiled-down version of it. Unfortunately it's suffered quite a bit of bloat over the years, but it's still quite a bit ahead of the competition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next