It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
I saw URU and OPEN SAUCES and I went WOOHOO!

Oh that's gravy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:10 pm 

8)

I'm pretty stoked about this. It'll be AWESOME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 am 

This is as I had hoped. There are huge numbers of people out there that would love the challenge of making this the best VR world, and so many technical challenges to keep all us software folks busy for a long time. And in the end, Cyan gets the credit for starting something that will quite possibly change the MMO world forever.

D'vid

Post subject: cyan and change
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 pm 

CHANGE seems to be the way of the world right now. I just want to be able to play with my friends and to play the explorer game in any fashion it can be. Could anyone give us a few hints as to what to expect here? Thanx!!

Post subject: Re: cyan and change
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 pm 

adijike wrote:
CHANGE seems to be the way of the world right now. I just want to be able to play with my friends and to play the explorer game in any fashion it can be. Could anyone give us a few hints as to what to expect here? Thanx!!

We don't know quite yet, adijike. Hopefully we will get at least the MOUL experience, (albeit on a smaller scale,) at first, but the sky's the limit after we figure out how the Plasma flows. ;)

Post subject: Re: cyan and change
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm 

SCGreyWolf wrote:
but the sky's the limit after we figure out how the Plasma flows. ;)

Oh, that's easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

:)

[edit] Fourth time's the charm. Why does this board freak out so badly on parentheses in URLs? [/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, this forum has some problems with those url's from Wikipedia.
But I noticed you found the trick.

When the original url is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics) you have to leave out the ( and ) in the word physics.
So the url becomes this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_physics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:19 pm 

veralun wrote:
Yeah, this forum has some problems with those url's from Wikipedia.
But I noticed you found the trick.

When the original url is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics) you have to leave out the ( and ) in the word physics.
So the url becomes this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_physics

Actually, you can include the brackets, you just have to URL Encode them (%28 for "(", %29 for ")"). Though I will also note that putting
Code:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)]Blah[/url]
caused a totally blank message to appear to be posted, though the content was still available in the "edit" screen, annoyingly.

Post subject: As the plasma flows!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:19 pm 

:roll: I guess you mean that "..it is anyones guess as to how this will flow!" and I guess that means that there is no positive anything yet, right? O well, I will continue to wait and wonder. Thanks! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:27 pm 

adijike wrote:
:roll: I guess you mean that "..it is anyones guess as to how this will flow!" and I guess that means that there is no positive anything yet, right? O well, I will continue to wait and wonder. Thanks! :wink:

Yes. We're still waiting for Cyan to release the source. Hopefully we can get some servers up to play on as soon as it's available. The "new Uru(s)" will follow afterward when the community has had a chance to peruse the code. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:28 am 

Actually, what I meant was, it would be nice if the "GUILDS" could actually all come together and work together in just one thing for the Uru Community say, set up together their own GUILDS Officially recognized Forum threads for the Uru Community to debate and voice most popular opinions on topics polled and then keep a running count of the topics and there results.
Example: Debate names into a List for a poll Vote on a final Official Name for Uru Open Source.
1. MOOSE - Myst Online Open Source Experiment
Note: Myst is not really Uru. Technically- Uru is Ages beyond the other Myst Game Ages.
2. USE - Uru Source Experiment
3. UOSE - Uru Open Source Experiment
4. ? ? ? - This is just an example.

My Point: Cyan set up the Guilds for a possible future for Fan Created Ages. Loosely based on the story line of the D’ni civilizations system of Guilds. The mistake with the Cyan set up in MOUL was no KING to coordinate and direct things. Or was it really a mistake? Included in the Guilds systems structure, Cyan should have created a "MASTER GUILD" to be made up of a "Master Guild Counsel" comprised of the presidents from each Guild to represent the interests of their prospective Guilds and the Uru Community in the place of a KING. This would have at the start, given a more equal official status and recognition to all the Guilds, but more importantly, the Guild Presidents could have perhaps worked out a more effective system by which their roles and purposes could have been better established and defined. MAYBE even their own Official Website containing all the Other Guilds under one roof and place. If Cyan would have publically recognized the "The Master Guild Counsel Members" as their Official representatives to the Guilds and Uru Community, we would not have the ineffective Guild system we now have. One without a Central Voice to speak to or really for the Uru Community at large. The way it is now, semi-functional Guilds with Cyan as KING recognizing the Guild of Writers as their Officials to receive and communicate with them. The rest seem disconnected from the whole, organized with non-uniform agendas for working together in their own overall interests for the Uru Community.
Example: The Guild of Messengers. One might think their purpose should have been the "Official Guild" to host and post News for all the other Guilds or for a Master Guild Counsel representing all the Guilds to the Uru Community. The Central place for all the latest Guild Announcements, News, Agendas and Polls. The Centralized place for Uru Open Source Announcement to be posted. Just seemed a logical role and function for them, being called the Guild of Messengers and all. But instead we have the more recognized Official Uru Community website, The Cyan MOUL. With Open Source, I would have thought the Guilds Uru Community could see the need to organize themselves within their own Official Website Guild Masters. ???
Cyan, as a mostly absentee, hands off KING, failed to define a standardize official system by which the Guilds they set up would function as a whole together in their roles and purposes..
Blame? Cyan? Uru Community Members? Guild Member heads, maybe. In allowing this to happen, the Guilds are splintered in their over-all combined effects to serve the Uru Community. The existing Guilds System really fails to centralize the Uru Community and draw effectively on its members to which is their greatest resource.

JKla, I stand corrected since MORE is not happening now though,

Last edited by Jahmen on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 am 

Jahmen
Quote:
Cyan as a recognizing the Guild of Writers as their Officials to receive and communicate with them.

Point of clarification GoW has no official status re-Cyan.

[edit]correction noted[/edit]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:35 am 

Jahmen, I agree that there needs to be a master guild, but I don't think it should be the presidents of the other guilds. They already have their hands full as it is. I think that each guild needs to elect a member to represent them to be a part of the Master Guild. I like your thinking tho on this! Adijike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I believe the intent of the guild system was to mirror that of D'ni. In that situation there was no need for a master guild, just the guild masters (leaders if you prefer) came together to discuss situations. In this case, all we're talking about is the Messengers, Maintainers, and Writers for this game. The Writers would probably also help with the engine coding, and when something new is finished passed onto the Maintainers. The maintainers would then dissect the new content and make sure it was sound, and then either return it to the Writers for further work or notify the Messengers it is ready to release. The messsengers then fill everyone in through all the new outlets that the content is available and either Maintainers or Writers then post it. I fail to see where a central guild is necessary and think as long as a communication style like I laid out occurs, things will be more than fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am 

The Guild of Writer has their own shirt in Kirel so they certanly do have a valid identity with MOUL and all of us. All five of the original guilds do and there will be more guilds over time. The Guild structure is a great idea and will be a great help for the future of the game.

"We Build Worlds"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next