It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Story (and ideas)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:11 pm 

These are some ideas i've had about the fan-created content and Ages featured in UL:OS (pronounced You-loss).

And so, in the Spring of 2009, the DRC secures funding from a multi-billionaire with not much to do (Of course there's something odd about his motives, searching for something called the 'Fragment' in the ruins of D'ni and its Ages). One of the last things done by the DRC before they lost the last set of funding was discover a set of journals from Catherine's early life, which describe in detail her lessons in the Art with Ti'ana. The last few months have been spent translating them, and with the advent of the Return, the Dr Watson releases the information to the explorers, to do as Yeesha said: make a home.

Also, it occurs that some form of control may be needed over fan-created features, possibly with the good folk at Cyan acting as the DRC, approving fan content in conjunction with the guilds, possibly making requests of the fans to make their Ages fit in with the story.

I read somewhere on the forum about an idea of 'Nexus 2.0', which is a version of the Nexus with a youtube like interface (ie. you can select favorite Ages and groups of Ages), and of the idea that fans can choose to add copies of linking books to Relto shelves (possibly by clicking a book icon next to the linking panel), although a Bevin/City book should be a permanant fixture on the shelf.

With lots of fan-created content, thing may get confusing. So it may be helpful to have a resource site (called the Nexus or something) which lists Ages, linking book locations, episode summaries, collectible locations, etc. to help explorers.

Also, can we have other music on the Cannens (eg Main Theme from Myst 4), and some classic Ages from the Myst games would be nice.

If anyone else has story ideas, or just general ideas, please don't hesitate to post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 pm 

I don't think us continuing the official storyline is a good idea, it will bring more bad than good in my opinion. Beside, I can think of some interesting fan stories which would go fine with the storyline without messing it.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually I think the official story line using Yeesha, Ti'ana, Catherine etc. are not going to be allowed. . . Not sure about the DRC even. . . . if you did the story using an unknown D'ni character . . . . searching in an unknown age for an unknown artifact you'd be OK. . . . well at least that is how I understand it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Continuing a snippy thought process in a spot where it can annoy more people: ;)

We've all had some interesting ideas about how to continue the Yeesha/Cavern storyline. Tons of ideas. The best ideas ever.

But if you've ever done any serious writing, game design, or other arts, you ought to have discovered a simple truth: ideas are cheap. There's no such thing as an idea so great, that to not explore it immediately is unacceptable.

If you have an idea that isn't currently going to be allowed, such as, say... continuing the Yeesha storyline, just sit on it, and come up with another idea. If you can't instantly/easily come up with a worthwhile idea that IS allowed, I can almost promise you that your "great idea" isn't as good as you think it is. The process of testing, refining, combining, enriching, trimming, and polishing a great idea should have spun off plenty of other ideas, and if it didn't, you need to get cooking.

Darn few people in the arts have only one workable idea ready. Those who think they do, are generally off by one.

Why do I care? For one, the yelling can get tiresome, "but I WANT to open up my hat store in the cavern! Nothing else will satisfy me! It's my RIGHT!" But more importantly, all hands on deck! If you've got what it takes to produce your Great Idea (and it's NOT easy), steer that talent and drive over towards GoW and maybe get cracking on a Pretty Good Idea instead.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

The Doctor wrote:
These are some ideas i've had about the fan-created content and Ages featured in UL:OS (pronounced You-loss).

And so, in the Spring of 2009, the DRC secures funding from a multi-billionaire with not much to do (Of course there's something odd about his motives, searching for something called the 'Fragment' in the ruins of D'ni and its Ages). One of the last things done by the DRC before they lost the last set of funding was discover a set of journals from Catherine's early life, which describe in detail her lessons in the Art with Ti'ana. The last few months have been spent translating them, and with the advent of the Return, the Dr Watson releases the information to the explorers, to do as Yeesha said: make a home.

Also, it occurs that some form of control may be needed over fan-created features, possibly with the good folk at Cyan acting as the DRC, approving fan content in conjunction with the guilds, possibly making requests of the fans to make their Ages fit in with the story.

I read somewhere on the forum about an idea of 'Nexus 2.0', which is a version of the Nexus with a youtube like interface (ie. you can select favorite Ages and groups of Ages), and of the idea that fans can choose to add copies of linking books to Relto shelves (possibly by clicking a book icon next to the linking panel), although a Bevin/City book should be a permanant fixture on the shelf.

With lots of fan-created content, thing may get confusing. So it may be helpful to have a resource site (called the Nexus or something) which lists Ages, linking book locations, episode summaries, collectible locations, etc. to help explorers.

Also, can we have other music on the Cannens (eg Main Theme from Myst 4), and some classic Ages from the Myst games would be nice.

If anyone else has story ideas, or just general ideas, please don't hesitate to post!

I can't say I like your idea half as much as you probably do. I'm not sure if Yeesha/the DRC/or especially Catherine are allowed topics for a storyline. Even if Cyan gives it a green flag, it will be near impossible to implement or to get people to agree with. Sorry, but everyone has a couple "great ideas" that they want to use for storyline.

I'm also afraid I hate the Nexus 2.0 idea. That would make a nice OOC tool, but not a very good IC one. The Nexus is an old piece of D'ni technology, not a popular website - deal with it.

I definitely agree with you that there should be a resource site to keep track of all the Ages. That would be a real helpful resource.

Also, I would love to be able to add more music to the Cannen. There are probably several legal hurdles for classic Myst music, but maybe more different Uru tunes. Maybe 'hoods could have Cannens, and choose what music to put in them...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]