It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:18 pm 

Does a path exist already available for creating our own ages? Or are you folks simply using 3DS Max?

Is there any doc on this? I would like to get started with my new content if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm 

Most of the writers use Blender to make their ages, more info at http://forum.guildofwriters.com ;)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 pm 

Thank you for that. Is a doc available that explains the process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Check out http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/, it has some tutorials and many other bits and pieces of documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm 

Thanks! I am reading that site now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

JM, right now the only complete age-creation pipeline (that takes you from modeling through texturing and export to playable URU ages) is the plug-in for open-source Blender developed by the people based at www.guildofwriters.com.

With the impending release of Cyan's plug-in for 3DStudioMax, and its code, several things are likely to happen:
1. People that already use Max will be able to export their work to URU as soon as the plug-in operations are understood.
2. The code will be applied to improve the existing Blender plug-ins.
3. The information in the code will be applied toward the creation of plug-ins for other modeling applications. Several fans have already expressed interest or commitment toward creating exporters for Maya, Lightwave, and Truespace, for example.

Also, keep in mind that these days, there are many means for exchanging data from one 3D application to another (with varying degrees of accuracy and completion in terms of texture-mapping and animation, for instance). What that means is that it won't be so important what application you choose to create ages. For example, I imagine that once the Max plug-in is released, some community members that own Max will offer their services for translating models made in other apps into URU-ready ages.

If you're going to be a serious agebuilder, you're going to be spending enormous amounts of time working with whichever modeling application you select.
Before you worry about getting your data into playable form, you'll likely spend months learning the software and then modeling your spaces.
So before you launch into agebuilding, do some careful shopping-around to decide which 3D application is best suited to your preferences, your temperament and working style, and your finances.

Truespace and Blender are the only free full-featured modelers available right now - and you already know about Max's free Gmax version.
All the for-money apps have demo versions you can download and test to see whether they're right for your needs.
So check them all out - it's a big decision you're going to live with, and many of us have found that it's not that easy to switch back-and-forth between different apps (they can have vastly different GUIs, keystrokes and workflows)

My guess is that whatever means of initial creation you select, there will soon be one or many options to get your data into URU-playable form.

(one very exciting feature of Truespace I just noticed is this: real-time online collaborative modeling!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 pm 

Emor D'ni Lap's answer is right on. I see that as the direction the age writing community is taking or likely to take.

As you read through the GoW forum and wiki (also look at the GoMa forum and wiki) notice who is doing what. For instance at GoMa, AndyLegate is writing tutorials. Post or PM him and ask questions. Do this with those you see writing tools for age writing. Ask them where they think things are going and which way they lean.

It seems to me lots of experimenting is going on while we wait for the code release. Probably a couple of weeks or a month or so after the release we will start to hear more clear cut directions. Some time after that some consensus will likely start to form. I suspect it will be pretty much as Emor described.

Forums like OpenUru.org are discussing possible changes to better handle IC issues (instancing - plans on their wiki), new player entrance to the game, global shard-to shard chat and things like more clothes. GoW is discussing how to work with canon and extended canon and having age building contests. There is lots to read and guide your decisions.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:49 pm 

Thanks guys! I have 3Ds Max, Milkshape, GMAX, Blender..... And Vistapro 4!

I agree there is some learning curve with all of these. I am still in the process....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Unfortunately, technical info on Age creation is very scattered and incomplete, there are a few basic tutorials indeed, but one has to pick up the crumbs, if any, from the forum, etc. Typical, when the experts themself should have to write good manuals, helps. I personally had no problems with Blender itself, however, I gave up after a few months of struggle with the plugin and the scanty documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey Norfren, it's a real pity you gave up, given how good your web-based ages are at http://www.gunda.hu/myages/.

I'd love to see all that stuff turn up in Uru. Maybe there will be better guidance when the OS stuff arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 pm 

If I can figure out a way to create the content easier, I will create a write up and maybe even some video. I found blender un-intuitive to use. But then most modeling software seems to be that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm 

Be sure to take a look at the tutorials on GoW and GoMa (if there are others out there I am missing... tell us).

I cannot imagine any other way to write ages than to model them...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

Well, it seems that one must have a story first, something to say. The models, the "ages" are a means of doing that. But the questions that almost universally are poorly answered are like "Where do I start?". I will see what I can collect, after the OS stuff is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

jmdoggett wrote:
Well, it seems that one must have a story first, something to say. The models, the "ages" are a means of doing that. But the questions that almost universally are poorly answered are like "Where do I start?". I will see what I can collect, after the OS stuff is released.

JM, you don't need to wait until code or plugins are released.
Two essential (and VERY time-consuming) things you can and must do upfront anyway:
1. Figure out 75 - 90% of your age's storyline / gameplay / puzzles / graphic style. Do maps of every Age, do layout sketches of every area within the Age and of the props within those areas. Collect reference images that are similar to what you want to create, and textures that you'll want to apply to your models later on.
2. Decide what 3D modeling software is best suited to you, then practice like crazy! You mentioned that you already own 3DStudioMax...there are tons of tutorials both in-program and on the 'Net: become fluent in modeling and texturing, and start by modeling some of the smaller things you know you'll need in your Age(s). As you get better, model the Ages themselves. You may want to hold off on doing very detailed texturing work, though: it sounds as though that's one thing that may have to be done using the plug-in itself.

This should keep you busy for months... certainly until the tools are released!

Post subject: Startup
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am 

Where do I go to download ULM and TPOTS

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next