It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Feed dah MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:03 pm 

This is how I see MOOSE (Myst Online Open Source Exploration) going into the future. I never see my point of view of MOOSE as the direction being taken but how I see it none the less.

MOOSE is being given to the community yes. Source code etc. MOOSE will have MOUL released with it which I find exciting. MOUL needs plasma as its engine, which is all well and good.

MOOSE will need Ages written for it. I dont feel those Ages require or should be written using plasma as the engine. I mean as the plasma engine sits today. Perhaps and who knows when, the plasma engine may be improved.

To me MOOSE is D'ni or URU and the continuation of the community or its society etc. So MOOSE lives in the beetle inks we decide to write new Ages in. New and yet free game engines are that beetle ink.

MOOSE to me is not a hammered order where you must use the tools of the GoW towards plasma as the game engine. MOOSE is a place for the story of D'ni/URU to grow and expand between Ages created by us.

I think because of a book on a MOUL/Chronicles shelf many feel that GoW, its tools and plasma are the catch all towards Age creation. Perhaps until MOOSE is released but then no longer is GoW really needed. Age creation should be done with the best engine of your desire or abilities. Many engines teach the tools so nicely.

So I dont see Ages feeding MOOSE as a plasma thing. I would think Cyan would want the best tools of today or the future being used as ink for its Age books.

So grab an engine and learn to feed the MOOSE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 pm 

Dear Fezz,
I have PM'd my email address. Your vision is our vision, so you are not alone. May I open the door to our World Creation Campus where you can learn all about us in a stunning 3d realtime environment.
Visit the many learning hubs, including how we teach the tools you may find at your GoW or GoM sites. Our lessons are designed for quick understanding and use as you will see. Each hub awards ranking points, which you can not accumulate until passing World Creation Camp. Upon completion of Creation Camp you can then gain access to the vast Worlds hub.
Creation Camp takes a recruit into the field of your interest(s). World Creation is free with a slight catch. You have to participate in some small way towards the creation of Worlds. Creation Camp guides you in learning so current knowledge is not required but helpful in speed of Camp completion of course.
I hold the World Creation rank of 4 Star General. With this rank I am allowed to invite you above the long waiting list of those wanting to join. I hope you will consider my invitation and look forward to meeting you.

3dRT Engine Development
Java,C,C++,Python,WebScripts
Shockwave,Blender
Hobby-Plasma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:55 pm 

ooo, what's that? the secret order of 3d designing? :shock:

Anyway, if I may: welcome, gooburn. I hope you will join the game when it open up. Your signature shows you are very skilled, hope to see what you can make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm 

Fezz and Gooburn - your ideas are interesting but won't mean a thing if the URU community can't explore your Ages because they aren't compatible with MOUL. IMO clutering up one's computer with different game engines just to view some Ages that have no link to Cyan's core of MOUL would be a waste of space. But that's just me. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 pm 

We are far from secretive. We exist with National and University grants from all over the world. Most of our members are selected by Alumni, given a Sponsor and go into the gaming industry while remaining to help others along. We even have High School Students from around the world among our ranks.
Thanks for the welcome. I hope Fezz will take an interest in how we look at Plasma and introduce the implementation if desired by your community for new Ages. MOULos is not without its challenges as you will find once you wrestle with Plasma. I myself will not be creating URU Ages. MOULos will be served as it is presented, with a minimal interface to other Worlds.
Responding to the concern of multiple game engines. Technology today gives us large hard drives more than capable of the demands we place on them. Many have hard drives not only having multiple games but multiple OSs or operating systems.
Look perhaps at the game series Myst. Real Myst was published using Plasma 1.0 running on Windows95\98, I think Mudpie was also. Myst URU used Plasma 2.0 with Myst 5 using 2.1. My point is each has a separate game engines actually, yet can run on one system.
So without clutter IMO any game or program and engine alike can interface depending on what is desired. For MOULos the interface minimum is KI messaging and chat. This could be expanded to include the character. However each World is character independent. The message interface is of largest importance for you as each Age will envelope the URU theme.
It was a pleasure addressing your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to respond.

3dRT Engine Development
Shockwave,Blender
Hobby-Plasma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:38 pm 

ooo, what a shame you will not be creating stuff in uru. You seems like the man for the job. Well, on a different topic, have you ever played uru? or are you new to the whole thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 pm 

Seems and job, are the operative words. When it seems like a job, its no longer a game. Plasma is a job. My interests only lie in the chat portion of MOULos. The chat and maybe the KI is all, (for now) that I need to share into another engine.
For me, I stay with the recommendations of Mr. B. His name escapes me, it was Bodon, Bonstead or Bonstein, I forgot now. Mr. B was the Senior Plasma Programmer for Cyan at the time. He was quoted in a gaming mag or white paper, as strongly not recommending Plasma for further dev. He sited many reasons, both from a commercial and dev point of view.
The chat and KI are my only interests for anything of Plasma in its condition today. I hope all the best for the MOULos team, eagerly waiting to see, what they can do with Plasma.
I will let you answer for yourself, if I have played or not.

3dRT Engine Development
Shockwave,Blender
Hobby-Plasma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gooburn said:
Quote:
I will let you answer for yourself, if I have played or not.

OK..I give up...Might we find a site that we can see, delve into, and perhaps join into your 'side' of things to come? I do enjoy a good riddle now and then, or puzzle, per se....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:28 pm 

Seconded :wink: First riddle I like to see answered is how come Gooburn has 3 posts in this very thread, yet his post count says 2? Let's take it from there................... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:13 pm 

Okay, I googled "Worlds Campus and Creations," "Worlds Campus & Creations," and "World Creation Campus" and got nothing even resembling what you're talking about, Gooburn. The closest thing ("closest" is used very loosely) is an article about a college with a campus on Second Life. What is the name of this apparently very well-funded and vaguely-defined organization that I can't find in a simple Google search?

You seem to have this air of "Look at me, gracing this board with my presence, presenting Uru with a beautiful vision of paradise. My unnamed group is going to lead the way forward for Uru. Oh, but nobody can see what I'm talking about. But really, I am better at this than you guys, and you, Fezz, should feel honored that I have chosen to introduce you to this amazing world of awesomeness."

If you're such a huge, "far from secretive" group, where the fiery abyss are you? I mean, Jesus, people call the Guilds secretive, but you can ask them any questions you want and basically see everything they're doing (with the exception of some Ages that small groups are keeping private until they're finished). You seem like a ghost that just came out of nowhere.

Give me proof of your credentials, and I'll take you seriously. A group of Freemasons of Level Design sounds, quite frankly, stupid.

I've been in the crowd following the Myst: The Book of Ti'ana movie and a while back, we found someone talking about how he had begun production on a movie based on The Book of Atrus that he had already partnered with IMAX to shoot. A quick search provided us with some backwater fake website and an email address that wouldn't respond to any mail. The guy was a complete fake, just trying to get attention for himself at the expense of the real filmmakers. And it seriously had the two screenwriters of the Book of Ti'ana movie angry off.

That's what this sounds like.

You sound very arrogant, Gooburn.

Go show your support to the makers of the Myst film!
www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 pm 

You believe as you like. I am not sure, if Fezz feels honored, I can not speak for him. What I am allowed is: We are negotiating with Fezz for his services. We first had to be certain he had no contractual agreements with Cyan. His talents are next to impossible to find in the gaming world.Bringing him on board, if he so chooses, was our first concern. Now,look at your letter, would you allow that sort into your portals?
Regarding those with courtesy:
I think links, as an introduction would be the proper thing here. Allow me to wait, until the release of MOULos, out of respect for Cyan.
I wait as you do, however remember that,"by Spring Time", doesn't exactly mean by March 20th. What is promised, and the best intentions of, may differ.
I appreciate your interest, and I hope I can be of help in the near future.

3dRT Engine Development
Shockwave,Blender
Hobby-Plasma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:49 am 

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to sell? Nobody except Cyan currently has enough information to create a full Plasma age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 am 

Gooburn wrote:
His talents are next to impossible to find in the gaming world.

I don't mean to offend anybody, least of all Fezz who is a mere player in this drama... but you came to that conclusion based on the first post in this thread? If so, you are even better than I thought... 8) I think somebody has a sense of humor! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 am 

I'm touchy on four parts here.

1. You came out of nowhere and offer no explanation as to who you are.

2. Your idea is to basically throw out Uru and make your own game with the Uru name on it that we should all play.

3. Your organization and actions have no basis in good common sense (hiring random people when there's an enormous waiting list, government funding for a group of level designers)

4. Your behavior matches that of someone pulling a prank/scam.

Sophia has a good point there. No disrespect to Fezz, but a world-class modeler? How did you come up with that conclusion from a comment about age design? I asked the Myst moviemakers about a plot change from the book; does that make me the next Shakespeare?

My question to you is: Why would governments and universities all over the world be so interested in a field as ridiculously small as video game level design? And why would such a prestigious organization be interested in Uru?

Give me a link to your website, and I'll stop acting like this. But I'm a born-again skeptic, and I don't believe anything until I have concrete proof.

Gooburn wrote:
I think links, as an introduction would be the proper thing here. Allow me to wait, until the release of MOULos, out of respect for Cyan.

Out of respect for Cyan? Would letting us know who you are and what you want to do be disrespectful to Cyan? So far, it's sounding like that's the case.

Give me a website and I'll heartily eat my words and apologize. But right now, you have an invisible unicorn argument going here.

"I have a unicorn in my garage."
"Really? Can I see it?"
"Actually, no, only I can see it. It's invisible to everyone else."
"Oh... can I touch it?"
"No, I'm the only one who can touch it, too. Your hand would just go right through it."
"Does it leave footprints?"
"No, it flies, it doesn't walk on the ground. It can breathe fire, too."
"REALLY? Can I see that?"
"Actually, the fire is invisible and heatless."
"So then how do I know that there's really a unicorn?"
"Because I said so."

Show me the unicorn, General Gooburn.

*looks at post*

darn it, I'm flaming people. I told myself I'd never do that.

Go show your support to the makers of the Myst film!
www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:29 pm 

Not offering sale of anything. Not looking to create Plasma Ages. Plasma is interesting, that ends it. Worlds of matching ... well exceeding, URU quality are quickly created. Why go through the struggle? If Age creation is a struggle, to those here, please enjoy it as you like, I am not here to oppose that.
Worlds are shuffled about the internet.Examples such as: There,Second Life or Kaneva, come to mind. What ever flavor, Worlds are there waiting for you.
If you want to provide a Grant or funding, please explain that openly in the forum, and provide contact information via PM. Your offer will be reviewed, and doors open, upon acceptance of your offer.
Ideally, we teach Fezz, then he opens the ease of Age creation, with its tools, to your community, on blades at our location, or place of his choice.
With permission, I will explain.
A University Professor, is the common tie with Fezz. It was mentioned, Mr.CTA enjoyed MOULgt, having the user name of Fezz. Not until his Post, did we feel we had anything to offer. I have sent him a CD info packet.
Fezz is a CTA, certified with the SEC. More than trade activity, Fezz is known as a Wealth Builder, having written a Market tracker, with an astounding 90+ percentile accuracy.
Gaming has got to be, the toughest economic struggle, yet we have a need for managed financing. Fezz is a shelter from that struggle, provided we can get him onboard.
MOULos, is interesting. If it just wasn't Plasma. But then, it probably would not be released. I just hope, it can be brought to a state, devs want to work with it.
Interesting, how things get gummed up. I enjoy each comment, and dont feel flamed at all. Your views are more than understandable and welcome. I would have it, I could do more, but it's not the case short term.

3dRT Engine Development
Shockwave,Blender
Hobby-Plasma

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next