It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stormy weather
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm dreaming up ages in my mind, and some of them are stormy, but all the weather in Uru seems to be fairly windless, all the water calm. I guess in the back of my mind is the seas around the ship in Haven in Myst IV. I assume that was computer generated, but though not in realtime.

Is there any scope for windy weather and stormy seas in OS Uru? If not, is the limitation in Uru, or is it a general problems in realtime 3d?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't know about stormy seas, but there was windy weather in Minkata, wasn't there? That dust blew in my eyes as I recall and the flags were pretty active as well! so maybe you can do windy? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

That is bizarre that you mention Haven in Myst IV...I just finished it not 10 minutes ago and am starting Serenia later this evening...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 am 

Hmm. We can make water that's like the Gira water (3d, ripply), and that has lots of adjustable parameters... so I'm pretty sure that stormy water can be made :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee

I thought of Minkata an hour or two after I'd posted - but I'd logged off and gone to bed by then! You're quit right, there was proper wind there, but nowhere in original Uru, I think. I wonder whether that's down to newer graphics/physics engines in MOUL?

Gandhar

You're a better man than me. I haven't finished Haven (or hence Myst IV yet). Without doing a spoiler, I just don't like puzzles of the Haven type - I'll probably do it with a walkthrough sometime just to get past Haven. That said, I love the shipside bit of Haven, like in the flythrough. It's just the weather I want.

Sehltahn

I'm looking for stormier stuff than Gira - waves crashing on rocks etc. I haven't seen it in any realtime 3d computer game, but then I only play the Myst series :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
That said, I love the shipside bit of Haven, like in the flythrough. It's just the weather I want.

Imagine linking in could be like a flythrough instead of instantaneous...Might make you think twice about going there...Maybe link out in mid-air?...LOL just thinking about base jumping with a linking book...Oh my gosh, he's gonna hit the rocks!!!!....POOF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stoneship in RealMyst was very stormy. Did you get to play it?

RealMyst trailer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gandhar - that's scary for Haven! If I had my Relto book on me I'm sure I'd be reaching for it - but then think of all the places you might not visit if you had the chance to abort. Better to dive in and just see what happens. Especially in the Myst universe where nothing really dangerous ever happens :)

Wafna - I wondered about Stoneship. I played RealMyst years ago and can't really remember. Also I can't get your link to work for the video. I certainly remembered Stoneship as a stormy place, but then Myst and RealMyst seemed so evocative at the time that I wondered whether I'd built it up in my mind into more than it really was. I haven't got RealMyst running on anything at the moment. I guess it just shows that we can potentially do stormy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 pm 

Ahnonay Sphere 2? :shock:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

But if you're talking coastal stormy then none in Uru so far, however, I am designing a stormy-ish age. ;)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

dnidaz wrote:
Gandhar - that's scary for Haven! If I had my Relto book on me I'm sure I'd be reaching for it - but then think of all the places you might not visit if you had the chance to abort. Better to dive in and just see what happens. Especially in the Myst universe where nothing really dangerous ever happens :)

Wafna - I wondered about Stoneship. I played RealMyst years ago and can't really remember. Also I can't get your link to work for the video. I certainly remembered Stoneship as a stormy place, but then Myst and RealMyst seemed so evocative at the time that I wondered whether I'd built it up in my mind into more than it really was. I haven't got RealMyst running on anything at the moment. I guess it just shows that we can potentially do stormy.

well I have played both Myst and Real Myst fairly recently. . . . The original Myst is pretty calm in Stoneship age, Real Myst has the stormy seas and rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

You can go here to download the RealMyst video to keep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

RealMyst cheated.. that Stoneship age was ALWAYS stormy. Therefore it was dedicated to that and I don't think could have worked any other way. Unlike say Kemo which cycled back and forth (and very quickly got out of synch so that it'd get dark with thunder, but no rain, which would spontaneously happen in sunny clear daytime)

But Minkata, Kemo.. storms in ages are quite possible. Myst 5 did it too, on demand.

I like that idea though... trouble is having the storm and wind affect everything it should. If you have an open window, it's a bit jarring to have the storm blowing away and whistling through the cracks, but the piece of loose paper on the table sitting next to it like it was made of nara... :?

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

I loved the weather where we had it. Also the ages that cycled through day and night. And in every age that didn't, I really WANTED it to. Especially Minkata (although that age did sort of have a day/night cycle). And the one age where seasons changed - that was great! I hope the people working on ages are planning to make efforts in this direction.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 am 

Mystdee wrote:
dnidaz wrote:

well I have played both Myst and Real Myst fairly recently. . . . The original Myst is pretty calm in Stoneship age, Real Myst has the stormy seas and rain.

What about the gun in... what was it... I haven't played so long, I'm going to call it ShoomTown. You know what I'm talking about- from ABM, singleplayer. But you could play it multiplayer, right? What happensif you hit another guy with it?

Annnyway...

Realmyst just had it as part of the pictures. Realmyst is just a 3D modeling engine's renders converted to pictures and video (since at that time, it would take hours for even the most advanced supercomputers to render those graphics) files. URU and Realmyst are just 3D environments, which similarly use amounts of polygons that no normal computer could support the physics engines, etc, that most games are running at the same time. If you're wondering, Revelation kind of cheated to make dust and wind on Haven- instead of particles (which is what we normally use for smoke, dust and rain) they rendered blocks and put windy/dusty alpha'd (you can see through part of them) textures.

Where was I going? If ANY game can have rain, uru can. fiery abyss, you don't even have to make the rain effects yourself- just steal the rain particle effects that were used for the rain page on Relto or that one other place where it rains, and apply them to your area (when you're using it in the 3D modeling program of your choice, i don't have to call it an Age, it's just an area, like every other area in Halo or Call of Duty, which is my point). See? Instant rain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:33 am 

Sensei wrote:
Realmyst just had it as part of the pictures. Realmyst is just a 3D modeling engine's renders converted to pictures and video (since at that time, it would take hours for even the most advanced supercomputers to render those graphics) files. URU and Realmyst are just 3D environments, which similarly use amounts of polygons that no normal computer could support the physics engines, etc, that most games are running at the same time.

realMYST is a full, 3D game engine using Plasma 1 (Uru uses Plasma 2). Nothing was pre-render as pictures, everything is full real-time 3D (hence the name "real" Myst). Uru, Myst V, Crowthistle, and Hex Isle are also all realtime 3D.

It's getting hard to find copies, but if you haven't played it, I'm told that it's available for free on GameTap. Definitely worth a visit!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next