It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: E3?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:18 am 

I just happened to remember from another forum that E3 is just around the corner.

Considering in NZ its the middle of Autumn, thus its Spring time in the north :wink: :wink: Cyan did give a very rough outline that they are likely to release MOOSE tools and source code about now.
So my mind is wondering, if, at E3 Cyan will be there with a little stall showing of "Something Else tm" and an announcement of when they will release those sweet tools and code?

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 am 

I'm not sure there's anything to tell us... usually Cyan Worlds give *us* any status news. At the lack of that, I believe they work on iPhone Myst updates, and maybe on openUru (don't you think openUru is a good name for he open source uru? it's like realMyst, but it's openUru. Yeah).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:13 am 
Obduction Backer

As I was told from a forum moderator, Cyan still sticks to the official abbreviation "MORE".
Regardless of the fact that it will be released open-source.

So, it's not called OSUL, MOOSE, OSMO (in fact that's something different), openUru (although I would like this name), or any other title.
Still MORE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's wrong, Tachzusamm. MORE has been superceded.

Quote:
Even though the development of MORE Uru Live has been progressing (the new account system is nearly done!), I’m sorry to say that outside events have caused us to put this project on indefinite hold.
Open Source is MORE's replacement. MORE is Cyan, Open Source is us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wonder why there is still any doubt about the official name. Just take a look at the heading of this forum. Whether you want to use that name shortened (and shuffled) is up to you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Do we need to have a vote on this or something? :? I honestly don't care what we call it as long as we whittle it down to a single name. My personal hope is that once the source code is release, we could push a fan-driven advertising campain to promote the return of Uru. It would help at that time if we're all calling it the same thing. :wink:

I will admit that I do like MORE's punnablilty, but that feeling is minor.

MORE on topic (hehe :lol: ) I doubt Cyan has the extra funds to have a presence at E3 let alone announce Uru's source code release there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:00 pm 

Between now and the time a MOOS server goes up calling it by a variety of names probably does not matter. Once servers are up they will probably have their own designations.

PURPLE - Purple Uru Role Play League Engine or whatever...

For search engines and promotional purposes a single name is probably better. But, getting the community to agree now is not likely to happen. We have several threads about what to call the open source version.

Chogon pointed out that OSMO can be confused with Cosmic Osmo, which is the only reason I can see for disqualifying any of the names... acronyms.

There is also all the playing and name spoofs people are into for now. Without a clear reason and motivation that most buy into, I doubt they will give that up.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:17 am 

Never mind that, I will continue to call it MOOSE, despite what anyone else says, as it explains in one word what should be happening.

The question I put forth is, How likely do you think Cyan will be at E3 with their "Something Else tm" and whether they may announce more on Myst Online, an Open Source Experiment (or Experience) ie MOOSE

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan wrote:
Never mind that, I will continue to call it MOOSE, despite what anyone else says, as it explains in one word what should be happening.

There is no way you can justify MOOSE as describing anything to do with Uru.

I realize people have an attraction to idiotic and arbitrary names, especially ones attached to strange animals but please don't actually attempt to justify it as being logical or appropriate.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:49 pm 

No body ever really gets their way...

Idiotic fun names are part of life in the community. Myst Online Open Source Experiment has a whole humorous thread with pictures and all. :D

I usually drop the 'E' but I think that 'E' is funny and enjoyed the pictures. If Grogyan likes MOOSE, he is free to use that term and have fun with it. That is what Myst & Uru have always been about. Fortunately there is no way you can force your stuffy opinion on him.

:P

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Back on subject, I checked the E3 exhibitor list and our favorite Spokane-based gaming company is unfortunately missing. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:40 pm 

:( no Cyan?

FYI Cyan is calling it OSUL, which I find a tongue twister to say aloud, and because having a commercial game engine that is entirely open source is completely new for the game industry, so its an experiment, the basic premise was for the foundations of the D'ni culture, so I feel MOOSE is an appropriate acronym

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
There is no way you can justify MOOSE as describing anything to do with Uru.

A moose has been described as an animal designed by committee. I think that is very relevant to this open source incarnation.

David Tierce

This post inspected by: Maintainer #165
MOULa-Ki: 15763576
GEHN-Ki: 00022090
DI-Ki: 00145074

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:33 am 

greendragoon wrote:
Back on subject, I checked the E3 exhibitor list and our favorite Spokane-based gaming company is unfortunately missing. :(

Though Ubisoft and other publishers are. It's still unlikely that Cyan's going to reveal anything at E3, but they still could under the umbrella of a publisher of the hypothetical game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
If Grogyan likes MOOSE, he is free to use that term and have fun with it. That is what Myst & Uru have always been about. Fortunately there is no way you can force your stuffy opinion on him.

Unfortunately you totally missed my point, but that's okay. My stuffy opinion doesn't matter anyway.

Grogyan wrote:
having a commercial game engine that is entirely open source is completely new for the game industry

Not exactly.

Anyway, this doesn't explain how the word MOOSE "explains in one word" what the project is.

dtierce wrote:
A moose has been described as an animal designed by committee. I think that is very relevant to this open source incarnation.

Must be a cultural thing. I don't believe I've ever heard that particular joke about the Moose. If I had, I'm sure the name would make more sense.

greendragon wrote:
I checked the E3 exhibitor list and our favorite Spokane-based gaming company is unfortunately missing.

I can't say I'm too surprised. Unless they had something really big hidden up their sleeves, I wouldn't expect them to go. Their presence has been pretty small even when they did have something to show (Uru, Myst V)... It's too bad though. Would have been nice to hear they've got something new.

Whilyam wrote:
Though Ubisoft and other publishers are. It's still unlikely that Cyan's going to reveal anything at E3, but they still could under the umbrella of a publisher of the hypothetical game.

I'm pretty sure that's how they've done it in the past.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next