It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 pm 

Hello.
Im a mystfan and played all the games and read the books. I have a few questions:
-Will their be one or several servers, maybe even with different content?
-How can i support this project? I have some experience with in C++ and DirectX, but im the opposite of creativity. And i prefer quality over quantatie. So i would write one good instead of 100 bad scripts, even it needs a long time.
-Have we access to the full code, so that we could even add some little new features, or only to the scripts?
-Will there be a guild of keepers (in german "Bewahrer") so that they thest new ages before release?
Greetings
Anthalas

PS: Sorry for my english. Im native german.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 pm 

Quote:
-Will their be one or several servers, maybe even with different content?

Yep. Couldn't say it better.

Quote:
-How can i support this project? I have some experience with in C++ and DirectX, but im the opposite of creativity. And i prefer quality over quantatie. So i would write one good instead of 100 bad scripts, even it needs a long time.

Right now, waiting is the thing which will really help. You can also practice on creating worlds for the game at http://forum.guildofwriters.com/ , but notice that the Guild of Writers aren't doing a lot of things considering open source uru, since it's release is all up to Cyan. The writers work on open source uru will start as the source code is released- should be "soon".

Quote:
-Have we access to the full code, so that we could even add some little new features, or only to the scripts?

Features? as much as I know, and I know well enough, we get to add whole new AGES. So yeah, features won't be a problem :wink: .

Quote:
-Will there be a guild of keepers (in german "Bewahrer") so that they thest new ages before release?

There are many guilds in the game. The guild of maintainers is testing the ages before release.

The game should be released soon, we don't know when, but it shouldn't take over 4 months. I hope.

Oh, and welcome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah and welcome to the community, Anthalas. Please be sure to check out the OpenUru website as I believe you'll find many people with similar interests as yours and able to answer your question about how you can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm 

Anthalas wrote:

I disagree with The Strangers advice to wait. There is a huge amount to learn about how the game is put together. Jump in. Since 2003 fans have been hacking the game and figuring out how to make tweaks to it and turn things on and off. But, we do not have the actual source code to the game. We will, that is the open source we are waiting for.

The game was made in 3DMax and a proprietary development tool known as Plasma, which I think of as the game engine compiler. It was purchased and further developed by Cyan (I think I have the purchased part right). Plasma in its incarnation for Uru used PhysX and DirectX. There is discussion on several forums about why to keep Plasma and why to abandon it and use something newer or how to change out PhysX and/or DirectX. I suspect some people will do one and some another. So, it is likely to get complex and that is a whole other thread of other discussions.

Creating a source code library and selecting version control maintenance tools is under discussion. Cyan has hinted that they will set something up to maintain the main code thread. There is discussion of the various systems to use for that. OpenUru.org seems to be having a through look at those options. GoW (Guild of Writers – the ones making new game areas) is discussing it too as well has here.

We will have the server side code and client code, but not yet. The game uses Python for much if it’s programming. We use Blender and a plugin to load and save ages (game area models). One can immediately help with Python programming. GoW is probably the best place to volunteer for that. You can also find age writers with immediate needs at GoMa (Guild of Maintainers – those testing the ages).

So, if you are wondering how to find all these forums and people, see the Guilds section here. There are quick references and resource lists and links. Plus check Rel.to, which is sort of a central link repository for all things Myst-Uru.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 pm 

Oh, I thought he was talking about directly helping with the source code... if he meant help as a whole, than I agree, nalates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:31 pm 

I wonder how we are supposed to pick which server to use? If they all have different content and different storylines, then it could get a little confusing. I would have trouble trying to find the 'best' one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm 

That's the fun- trying different ones. Look at these forums and find your best.

All this makes me wanna play uru already. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hopefully, someone from each of the available servers will post a description of the game on their server so that potential players can decide which sounds the most interesting to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:14 am 

It would be interesting to see if by the actions of people on the different servers if things might change at a different pace.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]