It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

carlushka wrote:

>>>snip

EDIT: The old girl pulled through and I played through the Cleft! I just wish I could figure out a way to play on my Win 7 computer because the graphics card is far superior and I worry about the old computer overheating (they're both laptops). I updated the NVIDIA drivers on the new one but it didn't help. But still, I'm finally in the Cavern after a solid week of hard work!

I have MOUL running on a 64-bit Windows 7 desktop and a 32-bit Windows 7 laptop without any trouble. However, I installed it to C:\Urulive and didn't let it install to the default location. What kind of problem are you having with Windows 7? Error messages? I'm sure I'm not the only one not having trouble; maybe someone can give you some ideas.

Last edited by Donahoo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've got the game running on both ends of the power spectrum. On one end is a Win7 x64 PC with a 3.2ghz Quad-Core and a NVidia GTX280 graphics card. On the other end is a WinXP x32 laptop with a 1.8ghz Dual-Core and Intel Integrated GMA 950 graphics. The only modern 3D game I've seen run on a wider hardware configuration is WoW. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Drakmyth wrote:
I've got the game running on both ends of the power spectrum. On one end is a Win7 x64 PC with a 3.2ghz Quad-Core and a NVidia GTX280 graphics card. On the other end is a WinXP x32 laptop with a 1.8ghz Dual-Core and Intel Integrated GMA 950 graphics. The only modern 3D game I've seen run on a wider hardware configuration is WoW. :P

That's almost what I have, except my desktop has nVidia 260 graphics card and my laptop is only 1.7gHz.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:16 pm 

I have been strugling with the "Checking for patcher update..." problem since saturday. I have tried endless times, tried reinstall and all, but getting nowhere. Stuck at version 1.866.
Then a few hours ago I tried fresh on another PC. Downloaded the downloader from Cyan again and installed, but still get the same problem and still stuck on version 1.866, even if version 1.870 supposedly was out by then.
So is there any way to get to version 1.870 outside of the faulty installer/patcher?

I'm also wondering if this is related to a firewall? Where I live now there is a strict firewall where only ports that we ask for are being opened. So is this patcher using some port that may be blocked? If that is the case and that is my problem then the only thing I can do is to wait and let it solve itself, because I'm actually moving out in less than a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think you may need a network expert like Mac_Fife. Something is inhibiting a connection to the file server at your end.
There was a problem at the Cyan end initially but it has been fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Definitely sounds like a connection problem, as we can guarantee the servers aren't down. I'm not really surprised they haven't updated the patcher on the website, since it's supposed to update itself. The only solution I can think of (short of waiting until you move) is to get the 1.870 patcher from someone else. But even then, if you're still stuck at "Checking for Patcher Update..." it may not help, and I don't know what port the patcher uses so you can request it be opened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Drakmyth wrote:
Definitely sounds like a connection problem, as we can guarantee the servers aren't down. I'm not really surprised they haven't updated the patcher on the website, since it's supposed to update itself. The only solution I can think of (short of waiting until you move) is to get the 1.870 patcher from someone else. But even then, if you're still stuck at "Checking for Patcher Update..." it may not help, and I don't know what port the patcher uses so you can request it be opened.

MacFife posted the port number somewhere here; I saw it a few days ago. Might be able to search his posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm 

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19545
Mac_Fife wrote:
... Myst Online : Uru Live on port 14617 ...

I tried to run netstat (a tool that shows IP adresses in use) and got widely different results than Mac_Fife has mentioned. On one it says 49476 and the other it says 51906. But that may be due to that I have my own little subnet inside the net where the firewall is, and that it somehow translates the ports. Perhaps someone should check up this and if it is a fact that the patcher uses a non-standard port it should be mentioned in the guide that they should check their firewall, or like in my case ask for ports to be opened.

I have on second thought found out that it's best that I don't get into the cavern yet. As I said I'm moving, and there's some things I need to do before that, so playing URU wouldn't make it more time. Anyway, I thank you who have replied for trying to help, and I really hope that it is useful for other people who may have the same problem as I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Donahoo wrote:
carlushka wrote:

>>>snip

EDIT: The old girl pulled through and I played through the Cleft! I just wish I could figure out a way to play on my Win 7 computer because the graphics card is far superior and I worry about the old computer overheating (they're both laptops). I updated the NVIDIA drivers on the new one but it didn't help. But still, I'm finally in the Cavern after a solid week of hard work!

I have MOUL running on a 64-bit Windows 7 desktop and a 32-bit Windows 7 laptop without any trouble. However, I installed it to C:\Urulive and didn't let it install to the default location. What kind of problem are you having with Windows 7? Error messages? I'm sure I'm not the only one not having trouble; maybe someone can give you some ideas.

When I have some time I can try reinstalling to C:\Urulive instead of C:\Program Files like you did. My Win 7 problem is that every time I get to the EULA screen and click accept, it just gets stuck at "Starting URU, please wait..." No error message, no real crash. I did notice it was at this point that the PhysX thing did its update the first time I successfully ran it on XP. Supposedly the NVIDIA driver update I did included PhysX, so maybe there is a conflict there between the game installer and my driver that is causing it to hang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 am 
Obduction Backer

carlushka wrote:

When I have some time I can try reinstalling to C:\Urulive instead of C:\Program Files like you did. My Win 7 problem is that every time I get to the EULA screen and click accept, it just gets stuck at "Starting URU, please wait..." No error message, no real crash. I did notice it was at this point that the PhysX thing did its update the first time I successfully ran it on XP. Supposedly the NVIDIA driver update I did included PhysX, so maybe there is a conflict there between the game installer and my driver that is causing it to hang.

I didn't discover the PhysX was already on my computer until I had already installed it manually. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 am 

On my Windows XP computer it was imperative to install MO:ULA in the C drive and not another dive.

Out of the dark we came, into the dark we go. Like a storm-driven bird at night we fly out of the Nowhere; for a moment our wings are seen in the light of the fire, and, lo! we are gone again into the Nowhere. (King Solomon's Mines)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the new account mechanism? I've submitted my email address (several, in fact), repeatedly, but I never receive the email promised within "a few minutes." I know that Cyan can communicate with me via this email address because it worked fine when setting up this forum account yesterday. So, what's going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not receiving your activation e-mail is a noted problem under the "Account Creation Problems" heading. Basically, some e-mail providers think the e-mail is spam and either filter it into the spam box, or outright delete it. Check that solution for a list of e-mail providers that have been tested and use an e-mail address from them. Also, make sure you check your spam box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quatermain wrote:
On my Windows XP computer it was imperative to install MO:ULA in the C drive and not another dive.

Wonder why that is on you computer? On my XP computer I have it installed on an external drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 pm 

Good call, Drakmyth!

I never thought to check the server logs to see if an attempt had been made, but when I did I saw several.

Looks like Cyan's SMTP server is misconfigured:

2010-02-15 00:04:07 KXVIEV-001QI3-I4 H=catherine.cyan.com (catherine.cyanworlds.com) [74.93.161.210] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: missing header lines
2010-02-15 21:52:58 KXX70A-001U04-BL H=catherine.cyan.com (catherine.cyanworlds.com) [74.93.161.210] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: missing header lines
2010-02-15 23:16:15 KXXAUR-001UAQ-9M <= [email protected] H=smtpout19-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net [68.178.232.18] P=smtp S=2240 [email protected]
2010-02-15 23:19:39 KXXB0R-001UBC-LX H=catherine.cyan.com (catherine.cyanworlds.com) [74.93.161.210] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: missing header lines
2010-02-15 23:25:29 KXXBAH-001UBW-HJ H=catherine.cyan.com (catherine.cyanworlds.com) [74.93.161.210] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: missing header lines

RFC 2822 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt) mandates that a message should contain at least the following header
lines: From: To: Subject: Message-ID: Date:. Since mail that doesn't comply with this section almost invariably is spam, we reject it. Looks like I'll have to whitelist Cyan, as I'm sure they have higher priorities than reconfiguring their mailserver!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next