It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 am 

So, I've been thinking over something ever since the cavern reopened. Now, the Ages we've visited thus far have been uninhabited. That being said, the book Myst: The Book of Atrus and various other games in the series show us that such is not always the case. Often as not, an Age already has a population living there, and from what is seems these are normally primitive.

All that being said, what did the D'ni do about natives? Are there records of attempts to communicate with them? Were Ages abandoned or given prominence because of this fact? What about the Guild of Writers? Were members admonished or exalted for a propensity towards writing Ages with sentient beings in them? Finally... and this was the main question that drove me to post... who was responsible for interacting with local inhabitants? The Maintainers were the ones often as not making 'first contact' I'd imagine, but in terms of actually understanding the natives and interacting with them in a meaningful, longer term fashion... The Guild of Linguists perhaps? Messengers?

To take this all a step further, it seems like a very big issue that as far as I can see was entirely overlooked by the DRC. With the reopening of Ages, what happens if we found an Age fully populated? On whose hands would fall the responsibility of interacting with them and serving as ambassadors? The Guild of Greeters or the Guild of Messengers seem like good choices of those we have active, but as I said, I've not been able to dig up anything specific on this issue as a whole. It'd be interesting to see what Cyan folks had to say on it, as well as current guildfolks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:00 am 

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm 

I don't think the D'ni immune system was weak, just different.
[spoiler]Just like in The Book of D'ni the D'ni stomach bacteria was fatal to the Tehrahnee, but obviously wasn't to the D'ni.[/spoiler]
I don't think there were rules against writing Ages that were inhabited. They had a Guild of Linguists that was responsible for trying to communicate with people that don't speak D'ni (source: The Book of Ti'ana). I would be surprised if they intentionally wrote Ages that were inhabited. I find it more likely that they wrote Ages that happened to have the building blocks for civilization to emerge

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 pm 

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:05 pm 

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]