It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 pm 

I was going to post that I'd like to see the Shaft "restored" to what it was supposed to be when the D'ni made it, without Ages. Then while I was thinking about my explanation for why I didn't want Ages, I had another thought: what if we made the Shaft, or possibly the entire path to D'ni, an introduction/tutorial for how to play Uru?

• Have an Age/section of the path that you can only complete by jumping.
  • Have another Age/section that you have to complete in certain amount of time to teach running.
  • Have another that you have to complete while the Kemo fireflies (or something similar) to teach walking.
  • Use one of the Eder Tomahns (that can't be the right plural :oops: ) as a classroom to teach about the Art (an overview obviously, otherwise they'll be in there for a loooong time)
  • Have another that is completed by taking pictures
  • Have another that is completed by chatting in the different channels/sending KImail

I haven't really thought out all the details, but thought I'd throw this into the mix. Not that I don't like your ideas, jadawin12, just trying to find some middle ground between your ideas and those that don't want the Myst V ages in the Descent

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm 

Frisky Badger wrote:
I was going to post that I'd like to see the Shaft "restored" to what it was supposed to be when the D'ni made it, without Ages. Then while I was thinking about my explanation for why I didn't want Ages, I had another thought: what if we made the Shaft, or possibly the entire path to D'ni, an introduction/tutorial for how to play Uru?

• Have an Age/section of the path that you can only complete by jumping.
  • Have another Age/section that you have to complete in certain amount of time to teach running.
  • Have another that you have to complete while the Kemo fireflies (or something similar) to teach walking.
  • Use one of the Eder Tomahns (that can't be the right plural :oops: ) as a classroom to teach about the Art (an overview obviously, otherwise they'll be in there for a loooong time)
  • Have another that is completed by taking pictures
  • Have another that is completed by chatting in the different channels/sending KImail

I haven't really thought out all the details, but thought I'd throw this into the mix. Not that I don't like your ideas, jadawin12, just trying to find some middle ground between your ideas and those that don't want the Myst V ages in the Descent

You have some great thoughts here Badger, and I plan on reworking the Design shortly to make it easier for immediat production. As for your ideas I would think that most of that teaching wouldn't need specially made Ages just certain parts of the Decent set up... Hmm I'll post some ideas later today

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm 

Frisky Badger wrote:
f the Eder Tomahns (that can't be the right plural :oops: ) as a classroom to teach about the Art (an overview obviously, otherwise they'll be in there for a loooong time)[/list]

The correct way to pluralize a D'ni word is the suffix -tee. I'm not sure whether "Edertee Tomahn" or "Eder Tomahntee" is correct, you'd have to ask someone better versed in the language.

I now return you to your regulary scheduled thread.

Post subject: Re: Designing the Decent
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
jadawin12 wrote:
In another thread JW Platt mentioned designing the Descent, the Journey to D'ni.

Actually, the post to which you refer was a suggestion to utilize Second Life for rapid development of various scenarios for projects like this in order to get a feel for what would work best before spending the time on creating it for Uru.

Dot then followed with a post suggesting that perhaps one or more of the Devokan sims in the OSGrid (like SL, but not as scary ;) ) could be used for this purpose. It's now being seriously discussed on the OpenUru.org site in the Where to Begin (The Game) thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
Frisky Badger wrote:
f the Eder Tomahns (that can't be the right plural :oops: ) as a classroom to teach about the Art (an overview obviously, otherwise they'll be in there for a loooong time)[/list]

The correct way to pluralize a D'ni word is the suffix -tee. I'm not sure whether "Edertee Tomahn" or "Eder Tomahntee" is correct, you'd have to ask someone better versed in the language.

I now return you to your regulary scheduled thread.

/facepalm
I should have known that :oops: I think I need to stop paying attention at work so I have more room in my brain for Myst/Uru retention. :D
jadawin12 wrote:
]As for your ideas I would think that most of that teaching wouldn't need specially made Ages just certain parts of the Decent set up...

I agree, but if you used Ages, once players got to the "end" of the Age there could be a link to a point furthur down the Descent; that way you can save some time designing, and walking, the path. Though I would probably walk the whole thing if given the opportunity. :D

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 am 

So, thank you so far for all the responses and ideas, but I'm having a small problem. As I worked on this project it kept growing and growing until it was far larger than the Descent. It began to become my own ideas for a Shard. So instead of flooding this thread with those ideas I'm going to make a new one. :D . So expect to see these ideas (and more) moving to a new Shard thread in a few days or so. And any of those reading this who have their own ideas for a Shard I look forward to your replies.

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2