It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Okay... the title of this thread really should be something else. Like "How can we meet new players' needs while the GoG is on hiatus?". Because that is really where we're at.

:!: Option 1 is a clear non-option. While theoretically all guilds exist to serve the public, it's fair (if distasteful) to posit that what happens to the GoG will be decided by members of the GoG (and that is still technically true even if it is decided by only a tiny number of GoG members, or even just one). Though I have a message to all guilds, below, about that sort of thinking.

:!: Option 2 is up to members of the GoG to engage in at their own risk, within their own circle(s)... and talking about the issue outside of the GoG means you've already abandoned this option.

:!: Option 3, of the offered options, is the only viable course of action for the community-at-large as well as greeters who feel their concerns have fallen upon deaf ears.

As for Nyrphame's thoughts, I have a few thoughts, for all to consider.

First, clearly there is a strong, unhappy response - whether from few or many - at the GoG's "hiatus." People do not react strongly to an announcement like that unless it is important to them! Where the GoG may feel they are not so important anymore, it is clear that not everyone agrees. I think most groups would be honored to see such an outcry if they said they were suspending their operation - it really validates their existence and what they do.

Second, and this is my opinion - I really do believe the guilds exist to serve the community, but I understand why that creates a sort of conflict for each guild. The guilds are all made of volunteers - nobody is getting paid to run them and they cost money, paid out of the volunteers' pockets. So it's hard to accept, within a guild, being bossed around by those who aren't in the guild or even those in the guild who are less invested in the operation. What the guilds do is in a way defined by a balance of both their own interests and desires AND by what the community asks of them. That said... I really don't care what your structure is, but when you have reached a point where what the community expects of you is in direct conflict with your goals, it's time to let someone else do the job. It is NOT the prerogative of the Guild of Greeters (or any of Uru's guilds) to go on hiatus if there are ANY volunteers willing and able to keep the guild running and active. Anyone who disagrees with this should not be running a guild. Strong words I know, but I stand by them.

Third, tanshin already mentioned this, but Veralun's update in the locked thread has given the green light (with conditions) for this discussion. I wanted to add that I accept that Nyrphame may not have noticed that change, and I can't blame her for what she said about it. If the policy hadn't been updated, I woudn't be adding my voice here now.

Edit Since everyone's throwing in disclaimers - the opinions I've expressed here are my own. I am not affiliated with the Guild of Greeters, but I am presently a member of the Guild of Messengers and am a former Guild Master of that group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

| Owner of Eastern Time Zone's Bevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi gang,

I find myself wondering at the end of the long posts what the posters view point is (know what I mean?).

Some of my thoughts:

1. Hiatus: What I have always said is that I can understand why some Greeters have lost interest due to the relative emptiness of the Cavern. There is no hiatus, just a loss of energy in a mostly empty Cavern. I would like to see what happens if we have some more in-game Greeters (many Greeters contribute out-of-game).

2. That being said, if there are other potential Greeters that would like to give their energies to help the Guild, that seems like a good thing. I don't expect them to have any more energy than the current Greeters (after a month or two), but let's see.

So, my hope would be that we can open it up and see who is interested in becoming a Greeter, and let's see how it goes. We can still use the existing process to qualify them.

Again, I am in every night, and I am a Greeter.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:12 am 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 am 

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last edited by Tweek on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

| Owner of Eastern Time Zone's Bevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next