It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
I'd imagine new content will arrive as soon as it's ready, which in some cases may be more or less now. I've heard some people have been working on their own projects while OS was still in the making. of course, they still need to share and impliment that content into a fan run shard.

I'd imagine whatever can come first is whatever developers can manage or have managed so far.

and possibilities of open source? whatever developers can manage to do with it.

that's my laymans take on those matters anyway.

I think you've got a solid grasp on the situation. :)

Quote:
my questions are:

1.) will there be a way to host content all in one place so as not to seperate explorers across multiple shards?
2.) what will determine what content is suitable for os uru. i.e.: cyan level of quality and work that pretains ligitimately to uru.

Tough questions to answer. I'm not going to try to answer (1) because ... I'm not qualified to try to explain it and I'll probably say something wrong.

As for (2) - that is going to depend upon the administrator for each shard, and how you personally define "Cyan level of quality" because not everyone here even agrees what that means. (It's an aesthetic, subjective thing... not really objectively measurable.) What pertains legitimately to Uru can only truly be decided by Cyan, though RAWA has posted guidelines at http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15890 . Short of any declaration from Cyan, you will have to decide for yourself if you want to consider someone's fan creation as a part of your version of Uru canon.

Edit: Bad auto-URL detection, the period at the end is not part of the URL. Bad! No biscuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

dragossh wrote:
The client has a few bugs, including the famous Bevin naming...

"Bevin" is more of a "misfeature" than a bug. There's no problem with the software; it's doing the right thing. The wrong thing was typing "Bevin" into the code such as in plNetCommon.h.

plNetCommon.h
Code:
#define kNeighborhoodAgeFilename         "Neighborhood"
#define kNeighborhoodAgeFilenameW         L"Neighborhood"
#define kNeighborhoodAgeInstanceName      "Bevin"
#define kNeighborhoodAgeInstanceNameW      L"Bevin"
#define kStartupNeighborhoodUserDefinedName    "DRC"
#define kStartupNeighborhoodUserDefinedNameW L"DRC"

Be careful what you change though. There are known literal comparisons where specific string values are expected for the code to work correctly. It's not exactly good practice, but sometimes (ok, maybe close to all the time) costs and deadlines are more important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you Marten. Hearing that I appear to be keeping abreast of this to the best of my abilities is reassuring. As for your answers to my questions, I understand completely. It is probably too early to ask those questions anyway since I'd imagine no solid answers exists for them yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:56 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

As a kind of follow up to this, JWPlatt has posted a new summary thread to address some of the "layman's questions" and which has now been stickied: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24545

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

So I'm guessing (guessing, guessing, do you hear me, guessing) that at the beginning, possibly always -- there will be different Uru worlds floating around, different installations, different instances, however you like to describe it. Each will be separate, distinct, with their own logons, avatars.

I'm also guessing (guessing!) that a number of them will pull in the Cyan worlds, and then add to it their own ages, changes to the front end, the client, that sort of thing.

As to what's going to be on what -- well, there's no central authority telling people what to do. I know that some around here have asked for that, for a long time, but... when you do things as a labor of love, you do what you want, what makes sense for you to do is what you like to to, often but not always taking input from other people. I would not expect some sort of strict hierarchy saying " this group of people polled all Uru explorers and set up a list of what the open source developers are going to work on, and that is what they are going to do". I don't think it's going to work like that.

In my thoughts (guessing again, guessing), you'll have more than one instance of Uru, but not hundreds and hundreds of them. People like to congregate around projects, around worlds. I'm guessing there will be some number of Urus out there, but not a zillion. Maybe there will be a website that lists the Urus. Maybe we can list them here, when the time comes.

It really is all good.

Last edited by mszv on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

that's the way i understand it too mszv. though again i'll stress that it would seem preferable to access all content somehow seamlessly so as not to split up explorers across multiple isolated shards. it would seem obvious to me that such a thing would be a long time off, but it would be good to entertain the thought and somehow make it work eventually. perhaps by linking all shards together, allowing users to switch from one fan hosted server to another that hosts the content they wish to access w/o having to leave the game and while retaining all progress across a network of interlinked shards. essentially, hosting uru across many shards instead of a single one. or perhaps having a single shard to host content that is included across all seperate shards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
dragossh wrote:
The client has a few bugs, including the famous Bevin naming...

"Bevin" is more of a "misfeature" than a bug. There's no problem with the software; it's doing the right thing. The wrong thing was typing "Bevin" into the code such as in plNetCommon.h.

Ah, yes. I thought the client was inserting the Bevin string the moment I saw the Fun House without the "Bevin" naming.

JWPlatt wrote:
Be careful what you change though. There are known literal comparisons where specific string values are expected for the code to work correctly. It's not exactly good practice, but sometimes (ok, maybe close to all the time) costs and deadlines are more important.

Note taken :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 pm 

Whats going to be the first thing that common folk will see/notice, is my main question. Also when will we start to see BIG changes like new Relto pages or new Ki layout.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

apparently not on the MOULa server, squirtdude. we can expect to see those on fan hosted shards when they start getting set up and hosting content. presumably, we might see fan developed content in the MOULa server eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Retaining progress looks like pretty tight linking to me -- that really makes it one world, one game. Your avatar would look the same across games, you'd logon once, and your progress would be the same across games? Would the KI look the same, would functionality be the same?

That seems so unrealistic to me. As I said, guessing again. I don't even see why it would be a goal. What body of arbitration would manage it, and why would the developers want to participate? I think a loose interconnection -- some list of Uru instances, all separate -- that makes more sense to me. But again, just guessing.

As for what's coming out -- I suspect that when the developers have something to share, they will share it here. I'm not sure where we'd go to see what people are working on -- the openuru site would be one good candidate, I guess. Again, just guessing.

And yes, seems to me, the current Uru stays the same, nothing changes, and other instances of Uru get made, and that's where we see the new stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, great! JWPlatt has posted a "stickied" post called "Open Source - CWE and MOSS in layman's terms". In it he refers to some FAQ links at OpenUru.org where you can post questions.

He also listed some basics for those of us that need simpler terms.

Please refer to that post and use the links if you'd like to ask a question.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24545

Cheers,

Dadguy

Last edited by dadguy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
though again i'll stress that it would seem preferable to access all content somehow seamlessly so as not to split up explorers across multiple isolated shards. it would seem obvious to me that such a thing would be a long time off, but it would be good to entertain the thought and somehow make it work eventually.

This is something I'm really hoping for, too- I'm not fond of the idea of everything being scattered throughout multiple log ins and services, and nary the twain shall meet.

In my ideal setting, I'd log in once, go to my relto and on one shelf would be all the Cyan made or vetted content; and on the other would be any unique, wild, wonderful fan-made places that I had chosen to put on that bookshelf.

Maybe it would work by having a "Here there be Dragons" sort of Library server, where I can visit lots of places, and then decide which books I want to 'check out' for my relto.

I want to be able to choose my experience- canon or crazy, IC or OOC, explorer or Great Zero Bungie Jumper- without having to choose who I have access to at the same time.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Until you have a vault you have a set of bubbles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like that idea Eleri. You're thinking of a way for players to "plug in" content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Following this train of thought, Chogon posted the following back on Dec. 13, 2008
Quote:
...By opening up the source to MystOnline, it does not preclude Cyan from creating their own server in the future with Cyan's content and storyline. However, with our current situation, that might be a long ways off and we don't want to hold people back.

Also, the architecture of the MystOnline servers is a *lot* different than the Until Uru servers. The MystOnline servers are very scalable and with some open source programmer help, it should be possible to have one shard (shard is not really a good term here) that has many servers, spread over the world but to the user playing, it will look like just one big server. And it should be possible to make them safe and secure.
There still will be rogue servers created, which is fine. But with organization by guilds and other fan groups, and good information, UruLive can still be great place to live.

Ok... where were those sources again... just kidding.

Thanks,
Chogon

I know that was over two years ago, but is his vision still plausable? It sounds like what Eleri and others (myself included) would love to see happen. Or have things played out in a way that makes Chogon's vision no longer possible?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next