It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:27 am 

Let me clarify as best as I can what I believe to be the case: when Cyan first approached the GoMa about the role Cyan envisioned for them, they indicated that the Maintainers should be involved in evaluating fan created content. That evaluation would include bug-testing, storyline consistency (in accordance with RAWA's guidelines) and an assurance wherever possible that no copyrighted materials be included (meaning that the Writer didn't code in copyrighted music they didn't have a right to use, or a texture grabbed out of some other game, etc.).

The copyrighted material portion of this has nothing to do with using code provided by Cyan, but code plagiarized from outside copyrighted properties that -- should they get added to the official MOULa server -- could bite Cyan in the legal tushie. Someone has to check that, and Cyan has always known they would never have the manpower on staff to handle this. Thus, they hoped to create a volunteer army, so to speak.

But before anyone starts calling the GoMa power-hungry fascists, Cyan also indicated that the Guild of Archivists be part of the evaluation process, to make sure fan-created content doesn't contradict any of Cyan's storyline or violate any of RAWAs guidelines. I have also always felt that an equal number of members from the Writers Guild should be included in the process (equal numbers from all three guilds) to assure the coding is properly executed and stable. This is different from walk-through bug-testing.

Now, having said all this, I realize that content created with no intention of being included in the official Cyan MOULa server need not be evaluated at all. I do presume, however, that if the above evaluation process is ever successfully implemented that even creators of that kind of content may find evaluation by the committee useful while fine-tuning their art.

Most of this is stuff Cyan and the three guilds talked about in the days of MORE. However, if you read Rand's recent open letter, you'll see he still seems to want to utilize the guilds as a voluntary army for evaluating fan-created content in place of staff Cyan can't spare. I realize it is still too early to know what Rand wants, but if I'm right I don't want to hold up good content from being given to the explorers because we're not ready.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3