It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Ok.. screenshots taken. "Main" areas of the two games, we've seen Uru's peak... 22 users. Here's two Off-peak shots of Champions Online. (note, this is so you can see the list of players in each instance... not including the one I was in, or any full ones)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19223939/GameCl ... -59-82.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19223939/GameCl ... -02-95.png

I almost posted shots of STO but this is an equivalent. Here's the difference, URU is an OS game that's undergoing a full restoration, or rebuilding you could say. Champions is developed by the worlds largest MMO-only developer. As a mater of fact there's not really any equivalent to what URU is doing. URU is positioning itself to become a large fan operated online game, the first of it's kind. What we see now are the faithfuls who are staying around and waiting; they're designers, they're builders, they're artists, they're linguists, they're writers, and they're just regular gamers. There's those who are rebuilding URU and those who are keeping it alive. Plain and simple. (There's new guys too, which makes everything ten times more fun!)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Trekluver: Uru is not, in any way shape or form, the first mmo to do what it is doing now.

If you want a recent example, try Ryzom. GPL'd the engine, the /server/ (which we don't have, btw (at least not the server software Cyan uses))... and licensed *all* of its art assets under the Creative Commons By-Attribution-ShareAlike License. And did so a *year* before Uru released its source. And the licenses checked out, btw - (again, unlike Uru, which has license issues that prevent any real work being released - as in, one cannot distribute binaries) and we are yet to see any of the art assets supposedly "Released" be given a license, therefore making them useless, and unusable. (No license means copyright applies as normal, therefore all rights etc, are reserved, and we cannot use the content legally)

Just for future reference - Uru isn't doing anything new or special. Its been done before, many times over.

EDIT: And as for main_avvie's original post...

The reason I'm still here...

Is because I believe in the original dream that was Uru. I believe fans can still achieve that dream. But I /don't/ believe defending what this version of uru has become furthers the goal of improving Uru, of restoring Uru to its rightful glory... Infact, I believe defending the mediocrity harms Uru far, far more than any "doomsayer" ever could. I am here because I love Uru. I do *not* love what it has become. I do not love the way when I come to the city, I am greeted with silence, where once friendly faces greeted me. Where I am told "its not empty! just come in a 4 am, and there will be people!" as if that is any solution.

I am tired of people defending that which perpetuates the problem, I am tired of people denying, even that there /are/ problems...

I'll let you in on a secret... In the two years between 2008, and 2010, there was *more* action and activity in this community, than there has been recently.

I waited those two years for open source. I too believed it would be the solution to all our problems. It isn't. We need to actually work together, or work on *something*.

Me? I've been working on a little project. We started before Open Source, but now open source hit, we're a bit slowed while we update our tools... and etc. But the idea has always been to improve and expand. To make Uru the dream it always should've been.

Don't have a whole lot I can show you. But I'll show you this heavy-WIP preview render from my work on a character-selection screen (The "rand" avatar is a placeholder for where your avatar will be).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19223939/previe ... tion12.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
All of your points are moot; there is nothing comparable to Uru - except maybe Star Trek. Not the MMO, but the original television series - the one in which fans found something so special that they could not let it die. We're still here, keeping Uru alive, contributing whatever talents we have to build it up, waiting for the day that it's discovered by the masses (through a movie and/or new publisher). Then, the cavern will be reborn and we'll all complain that it's too commercialized. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not going to pretend that URU is on the top of its game. It is in a sad state, and I lament that I've not seen it in the way it once was. In fact, I'm not going to pretend that activity in URU hasn't declined since I first arrived. I hope that someday I can see URU in the manner it once was, but to assume that URU is dead is to write it off. It is an unfair assumption. If something is dead, there is no longer any hope for it. Its problems are over. Dead things are buried. I continue to enjoy the company of my fellow explorers in URU and I'm still invigorated by D'ni and its ages.

You don't really think URU is "dead"

"Dead" is not the term you're looking for. You see life where there is little. You want more life for URU than there presently is. Don't we all? what is going to change that? i agree with you that little has been done towards that but only so much can be done. URU still lives and breaths and it is a pity that there are those who are not content with the way in which it currently stands but there are others still who make the best of it. It could be better and someday it will. for now, I continue to enjoy URU as i always have.

note: the "original post" mentioned was written then promptly deleted as it did not adequately express my thoughts or opinions, but the response adequately covered all the bases.

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:

Now I see where you're coming from. That's the kind of work I'm talking about. If everyone's doing it, URU can stay alive. That looks great so far. I imagine it looking a bit like the one in Champions when it's done. Just a suggestion, there should be a section for unlocked clothing so you can keep it separate; Portal 2 co-op is a little like that. I always hated that URU didn't have that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm 

What it really boils down to is that lots of people are (understandably) frustrated at the seemingly indefinite wait for anything to happen. It's taken a long time to get where we are.. fiery abyss MOUL was offline completely with little to no hope of it returning at all after the Gametap shutdown. The fact that it did come back online is proof of the hope that exists. Will Uru ever be what Rand envisioned? A constantly-changing and dynamic world.. Probably not. But will it die? Absolutely not. Not so long as there's fans both in and out of Cyan willing to keep the dream alive and baby, we've got that in spades!

There's slow times right now. That's an undeniable truth but the fact of the matter is things will start moving again eventually and when they do you better believe the city will fill up to bursting and they'll have to raise the cap up to 100 again (a process that'll no doubt take several months and enrage the community of course :P )

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
things will start moving again eventually and when they do you better believe the city will fill up to bursting and they'll have to raise the cap up to 100 again

This. the interest is there but there's not much interest atm. i, too, have been less regular and have discovered other avenues of entertainment in my free time. but the moment something happens, you bet URU is gonna be chock full of activity. so, URU hasn't been abandoned and new people still arrive and find it compelling. there's even moments of 30-40+ people in ae'gura from time to time for no particular purpose (as if we need one)

the problem is URU has stalled. and like a stalled ride at a carnival there's no one on board. the moment the ride starts up again, the seats are packed. that's indications of life. the issue lies with the spark that reinvigorates that life. it's MIA atm. cyan holds the keys to the ignition, they're aware of our concerns and i'm sure their concerns are the same as ours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe open-source might prove the resurrection of the Cavern, but then again, that's what we've been hoping for more than a year now, and not much has happened (I don't mean to disregard the work being done now ; I'm stating facts : not much has changed). We need to find something to do in Uru until something else happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am 

(I think) I can fully understand where all this disappointment and frustration comes from.

But has any of you whiners ever realized how * LUCKY you've been you had the chance to experience this "glorious past" of MOUL?!
I couldn't join the game in its previous versions due to location restrictions. I have never been to D'mala, or Gametap, never met any of the DRC members, never had the excitement of seeing an Age released in real time and being the frist to step on it, a Bahro outside the Fun House, all the episodes I learn about on Heritage Night, being with more than 5-10 other people online on an average day.
However I'm very happy to be here and I'm not planning to leave even if things stay like these for another 20 years. I'm very happy even when I'm alone in the public City and stare at the Arch for hours. I've joined group explorations, door runs, Guild meetings, TMP meetings, Karaoke nights, DMR concerts, Fun House activities, Heritage Nights, Pod Parties, marker game events, sardine games, long wasted hours with just chatting on the map or just doing nothing at all. Yep looks like I actually foolishly follow whatever event is on whenever I'm online, but heek I'm such a fool I'm actually very happy to do that. Not to mention all the wonderful people I've met, that I wouldn't trade for the most trendy and crowded and often upated game.

Of course it's not like having new content every week but it *is* something. And it *is* people wanting to experience Uru's beauty, and explore and meet and have fun, more or less at any given moment of the day. Unfortunately we can't all be Cyan and change things in a jiffy, this is all we can do right now, but we keep on doing it and we like it with a cherry on top of that. At least we *can* be here.

And then having to watch every hot-tempered one of you to come down in the Cavern for like 5 minutes a month and then dare to call us zombies. This is insulting, and hurtful. :( :( :(

We're doing the best we can, you know, contribute whatever we can, whenever we can. How about you quit whining, bring your suggestions with you if you want and join us for a little longer? :D

* Mod note: Edited - 2/9/11 - see Forum Policy # IV

Last edited by adi on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 am 

I'm with Adi. I never got a chance to try URU Live "back in the day". I had the game, but not the resources to join everyone online. You have no idea how happy I was when I found out it was, unexpectedly, back online last Nov. My PC was never wireless, but I went out and got a wireless USB thumbdrive just so I could go online to the cavern and see everyone.

Yes, it's not as active as it once was, but who's fault is that? People who stop logging in. Not the ones who still join every day for chatting about the most mundane things, or who still experiment with glitches and bahro stones.

I'm happy to be able to log in, do my daily round of pellets and see my newly found buddies online with my fully developed KI.

You saw the golden age of URU. Lucky you. I'm envious. Very envious, but don't complain about lack of content. Be glad it's there, it's free, and still active. It may not be as active as you would like, so why not change that? :)

Atier KI#: 11273431 (Soon to change)
ATR KI#: 13663143 (Soon to change)
The Cavern is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, I had the displeasure of wasting $80 on a year's worth of MOUL "content". Content that I couldn't play despite numerous complaints to Cyan. Yes, very fun experience. Especially the part where the story (which I had to read on forums because I was unable to access it in game) reminded me of high school.

In many ways, what we have now is better than what we had then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 am 

I myself am happy for the Uru that we have. It is lonely at times, but I have a few wonderful friends. There is something to be said for a small but close community. It may not be what Uru was meant to be, but it is still nice. There is still a lot to do on the weekends, especially on Saturday nights.

Boy, now I miss being back in D'ni. Haven't been able to get in for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:54 am 
Obduction Backer

cedward1 wrote:
Boy, now I miss being back in D'ni. Haven't been able to get in for a while.

D'ni Misses You! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:35 am 
Obduction Backer

The Cavern Tonight, it sure doesn't look dead (It's 8:00 BTW):

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I remember when we had 3 times that many people in one Neighborhood, and there were at least five other Neighborhoods with the same number of people. That's not even talking about the city and the private ages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 132  Next