It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:12 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
I remember when we had 3 times that many people in one Neighborhood, and there were at least five other Neighborhoods with the same number of people. That's not even talking about the city and the private ages.

Well, it's not like that right now. Someday it might, but for now, it's not. Not to say it can't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:30 am 

Really, this pissing contest we've gotten into is getting old. There's no reason to segregate the old crowd from the newbies. It doesn't matter if you were part of Choru or Prologue or UU or Gametap or if you just joined yesterday. Times change.. we deal with it and we get past it. Things could be much much worse and so long as we continue to stay at cavcon 4 and above they can only get better.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
Really, this pissing contest we've gotten into is getting old. There's no reason to segregate the old crowd from the newbies. It doesn't matter if you were part of Choru or Prologue or UU or Gametap or if you just joined yesterday. Times change.. we deal with it and we get past it. Things could be much much worse and so long as we continue to stay at cavcon 4 and above they can only get better.

[insert counterpoint to the above statement here]

okay, now you do me :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
Loshem wrote:

[insert counterpoint to the above statement here]

okay, now you do me :roll:

Um...but Loshem is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 pm 

Loshem wrote:

i was part of it all.... i win science.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

d(Logins)/dt is positive again! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 pm 

I really love URU. I really do not understand what kind of "content" people are talking about.
Is it more "content" mean more ages or what? More clothing? Very confusing to me.
URU has a lot to do, and previous posters have mentioned many of the things that are available online.
Adi is very correct by saying URU is very much alive.
The people who love URU are here to stay.
I would really like someone to mention the new content that is expected that they are wanting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 am 
Obduction Backer

to answer your question about content, Nicoleleigh: yes, content is all those things.

people still show up in uru and have a great time, but it is no longer growing at the moment. no new content means the game doesn't expand.

as for potential new content. well, that depends on what people want and who's providing it. there's a whole mass of unfinished Cyan developed content. ages areas of d'ni and various mechanics that were intended, conceptionalized and even partially worked on and developed that never saw their way into URU as a finished product.

things like the gahreesen wall, the minkata sparklie, dozens of unfinished areas and cavern locations and two additional types of marker games, among many other things.

as for who's providing it, it won't be Cyan. not entirely, anyway. they might provide unfinished content they worked on to fan developers or assist in developing uru further alongside open source developers, but the idea is to give URUs continued development to the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

It has very recently (in the last couple days) come to light that the CAVCON level has not been accurate for a long time. There was a miscommunication between accounting and CAVCON - the question "Is donations still covering expenses?" was answered "Yes" but what was really meant was "Yes, there is still money in the reserves to cover expenses" which still had the hidden answer of "but the current donations being made monthly are not covering monthly expenses and we are using part of the reserve to make up the difference"

So, when MOULa was released, we were definitely at CAVCON 4 and a good reserve was built. However, we have been at CAVCON 2 probably for most of the time MOULa has been live (RAWA is going back in time and will make the CAVCON level history more accurate in his post).

So, what this means now is that I will doing some cost cutting measures on the MOULa servers. The first phase should result in no degradation in service - as I will be combining servers that were separate to be more flexible - this is an easy one.
The second phase I will be asking for volunteers from fans to host file servers to spread out the data transfer costs (more details on that later).
If we come to a third phase - then we may have to degrade the service but other measure might be found that would save the level of service.

Anyhow, the first phase will happen this morning - watch for an announcement from Tor'i

Thanks!
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uh oh...

if services do "degrade" just what exactly do we lose? and if i may risk seeming crass, if combining servers is more cost efficient, why was this not done a long time ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

This sounds like a pretty colossal blunder considering that MOULa has been online for about 1.5 years now, and the cavcon updates came weekly. I do hope there will be an inquiry into how this happened because, in a game that is hosted by the community's donations, communication about the funding status is crucial.

On the plus side, consolidation of services is definitely a good thing. There are certainly less (active/concurrent) users now than there were when MOULa launched. Nothing wrong with making the operation leaner and meaner. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 pm 

Thank you for sharing that update Chogon, as always the efforts of Cyan are very much appreciated by all who care about URU and MOUL...and we support and encourage you to do all you can as we do. Please ignore negative carping and comments here and elsewhere and know there is a body of loyal fans and many new players enjoying what MOUL has to offer every day...and as far as content, we are content with the content we have thanks very much. Lets continue to enjoy this wonderful world we have and as i said, the naysayers are welcome to their own parade. As for the rest of us, we love what we have and appreciate Cyan's efforts to keep URU MOUL alive.

MOUL Lives.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:26 pm 

Chogon wrote:
The second phase I will be asking for volunteers from fans to host file servers to spread out the data transfer costs (more details on that later).

Thanks!
Chogon

Would the best people to host this be The Open Cave and the Guild Of Writers?
I would speculate that most of us would be unable to host this on our normal PC's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

AdamJohnso wrote:
I do hope there will be an inquiry into how this happened ...

Other than what I posted? Oh, you mean the conspiracy part. Here you go:

Extraterrestrials that shot JFK infiltrated municipal utility systems and planted spider-bots that tainted the water supplies with a bacteria that was drank by millions of people, who became controlled by an off world mastermind that used the power of a million human brains to change the fabric of mathematics. However, the mastermind did not realize that a slight tear in the laws of nature had shown as an anomaly in the CAVCON meter - which thankfully we discovered in time before physics as we know it would cease to exist.

--Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

It seems I've let the Cavcon meter lull me into a sense of complacency. I've become lax in my donations so I'll be more on the ball with them. Probably won't help a lot, but that's about all I can do. Thank you, Chogon, for letting us know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 132  Next