It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Without the MOULa servers, MOSS or DirtSand will have to be good enough. It's really a test of the client anway. I would not depend on CWE server code being released this century. Even if you have the binaries, and I'm not saying they are any more likely, you'll still need to set up an Oracle server. MOSS or DirtSand would be easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am 

I'm wondering, how long, more or less, for things to stay as they are?
(Meaning, provided that donation rate remains the same, and Cyan proceeds to phase2/3/whatever planned next.. another shutdown maybe??).

Truth is, I've suggested in the past to a fellow explorer (a veteran and wise one, hint hint) to try doing a donation event. Unaware maybe of the above misunderstanding himself, he told me this is not a question of money but of a combination of personnel and money instead and this is something we can do nothing about, so we never discussed it again. It came to my mind again though after reading the newer posts. But being unable to decipher the wishes and expectations of Cyan on one hand and seeing the disappointment and hatred among the fans for various reasons on the other, honestly, I kinda feel stupid by even mentioning it here.

Honestly, could it be an indirect way of telling us to slowly pack our things and move to another online home (whether that would be a new MOULa shard or a completely different place, falls under the above "wishes and expectations of Cyan" category), and to just accept things and go with the flow??

('.')

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 am 

adi, I think the fundraiser party is due.
How about a weekly crossworld event?

like a CCCP(d) ;) d for donations. Just don't forget priorities.

btw. the mistake of CAVCON level is as I see it a very easy one to make. The misread of finances between what we have, and what we get, is made everyday in everything from household budgets to large corporations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:13 pm 

I could really go for some pizza right about now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

We are where we are ...
Would someone please remind me where / how to donate?

ETA Found and done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:16 pm 

For general reference, the Donate button can be found on the front page of the site, also accessible through the "Home" link at the top left corner of your screen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh. I used the one at the bottom of PLAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:33 pm 

That one works just as well, I'm sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with the idea to have the fans host a beta server. That way you can actually test changes instead of just postponing them because Cyan doesn't have money to host one.

PS: Does anyone think Uru has a curse or something on it? Every time someone wants to work on improving the official server / client, or adding content, something happens. Cancellations, CAVCON meters gone wrong, buggy physics. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

adi wrote:
Honestly, could it be an indirect way of telling us to slowly pack our things and move to another online home

No, definitely not. The MOULa servers are really there at the whim of the fans, such as yourself. If people stop logging in then we'll shut them down. But there is still about 4,000 unique users logging in each month! To me, that is very encouraging and shows that fans still want the servers there. If donations do not cover expenses then we will try our hardest to find ways to stay in budget and keep the MOULa servers running.

BTW, donations is a hard thing for Cyan. In the past, we have always just made a product and other people sold it. Begging for donations is not something we are use to or good at and personally it is just not my style - and to me, saying "we'll give you X if you donate Y dollars" just feels like ransom (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone).
So, getting ideas from the fans about donations would be very helpful. And I do think the one-size-fits-all donation model we currently have could be greatly improved.
Also, maybe there is something other than donations - like ads? We could use some consensus on what people would accept. To some people they are very offensive, to others it is just part of life (since they are everywhere). So, maybe a group of fans could try gather some ideas and get a consensus of the community.

Beta Servers:
Hmmm, EccentricOne call me… err PM me. I think there is probably a way to get things to work - such as you hosting the frontend and the backend on MOULa which connects to the Oracle database.
Oh, and I forgot about other server types like MOSS and DirtSand that new clients would need to be beta'd against. It does get more complicated - but nothing that can't be addressed.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

This sounds promising in my limited view. TY Chogon for your post...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, Chogon... if there's one way to make money it's with Ads. Sorry, but video games are an escape for me. I am vehemently against Advertising in any gaming experience and holy squee dung would Ads just crap all over the beauty that is URU. I get enough advertisements everywhere I look as it is...

And I'm certain many would agree. Ads in URU would go against your vision and the vision of Cyan. I think I'd rather see URU die quietly then to see it defaced with ads and graffiti.

(now i'm recalling the visuals of Pyst :P )

That being said, I am not against advertisements on these forums. So long as it occupies minimal indirect screen space I would certainly tolerate banner ads on the MOUL forums to offset costs of hosting either the forums or URU. I don't hold these forums to any expectations I wouldn't hold any other internet forum to even though it's certainly grand to have an ad free forum here (and certainly not to say they're not a cut above most other web forums). Ads are a minimal distraction on webpages. to me anyway, they can be ignored easily enough if presented in an unintrusive manner.

Ads are a great way to make revenue so I wouldn't discount them entirely. I would however place them low on a list of things to do to generate funds. And there are certain places where they just do not belong, however minimal they may be.

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not against Cyan-approved ads in-game if there's a decent "the DRC put them there to pay for the restoration" reason given. I trust that Cyan and the fans would work to make the ads appear in only a few areas. I'm sure we all have enough class not to stick them on the memorial. :)

Of course, the other thing I've thought is that ad placement on the loading screens could be a way to go… But I think I'd prefer the billboards in the Cavern approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Malfhok wrote:

Of course, the other thing I've thought is that ad placement on the loading screens could be a way to go… But I think I'd prefer the billboards in the Cavern approach.

I was going to mention this as well. Ads in the loading screen is pushing my tolerance but it does stop just short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm surprised that we haven't found a Pehpsee can or two among the debris at the end of Takotah Alley. You know there would be plenty in RL.

Edit: Never mind. That would be too much like Pyst.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 132  Next