It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

I looked at what kind of Ad revenue could be generated and we would need 10 times as many logins per day to even start to being worthwhile and more like a 100 times as many logins to really make a difference. Numbers we didn't see even from the start. So, besides the "Pyst" factor, that just doesn't look feasible.

Main_Avvie wrote:
That being said, I am not against advertisements on these forums. So long as it occupies minimal indirect screen space I would certainly tolerate banner ads on the MOUL forums to offset costs of hosting either the forums or URU.

Hmm, that is interesting. I'll pass that on.

Thanks,
Chogon

Last edited by Chogon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Without the MOULa servers, MOSS or DirtSand will have to be good enough. It's really a test of the client anway. I would not depend on CWE server code being released this century. Even if you have the binaries, and I'm not saying they are any more likely, you'll still need to set up an Oracle server. MOSS or DirtSand would be easier.

Kind of off topic, but have the Nvidia PhysX SDK issues been fixed for MOSS? Or, likewise, is Bullet Physics still being ported successfully?

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
That being said, I am not against advertisements on these forums. So long as it occupies minimal indirect screen space I would certainly tolerate banner ads on the MOUL forums to offset costs of hosting either the forums or URU.

I am also ok with this. There's plenty of room for a few un-obstructive ads and The Manhole add space could easily bring in a bit of revenue. As long as it does not interfere with the experience I'm ok. (Experience hindering site here. )

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:57 pm 

Chogon wrote:
Main_Avvie wrote:

Hmm, that is interesting. I'll pass that on.

Thanks,
Chogon

Funny, that's what I assumed you were talking about when ads were first mentioned! This is only one of two forums I frequest that don't have ads somewhere on them. Ads really irritated at me at first, but eventually you learn to look past them...

Which I guess kind of kills the point of the ads... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Rils wrote:
Ads really irritated at me at first, but eventually you learn to look past them...

Shhhh. Don't tell them that. ;-)

Anyhow, the revenue from Ads on this web site would still be pretty small, so TPTB are not real excited about adding Ads here anytime soon. But if they did, it would be similar to The Manhole placement.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rils wrote:
Funny, that's what I assumed you were talking about when ads were first mentioned! This is only one of two forums I frequest that don't have ads somewhere on them. Ads really irritated at me at first, but eventually you learn to look past them...

Then you install AdBlock ;). Of course, then when you have to use IE on someone else's computer, all the ads on the intertubes are quite surprising...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Kind of off topic, but have the Nvidia PhysX SDK issues been fixed for MOSS? Or, likewise, is Bullet Physics still being ported successfully?

The physics engine (whatever it might be) and MOSS should be unrelated. As far as I am aware, all of the physics is computed on player computers, in the client program (CWE).

It's too bad to hear that advertisements don't seem to be worth the effort to set up. Here is a thought...

If setting up something like a Google Ads block on the forum is not worth the effort and potential irritation of forum visitors, perhaps you could still position some more advertising toward your own products (as you said, "similar to The Manhole placement")...
- Cyan Worlds Soundtracks Store
- Cyan Worlds @ Good Ol Games ( http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_gen ... %20worlds/ )
- Cyan Worlds @ Steam
- More ads for iTunes products - Myst, Riven, Stoneship...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 am 
Obduction Backer

At the very least, there ought to be a Bug Chucker shirt for Uru. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:15 am 
Obduction Backer

ya know u bring up a good point. there's been advertising on clothes in URU before. that i could deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:16 am 

Has any consideration been put into setting up a Cyan account at someplace like CafePress? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd buy a t-shirt or two that's related to Myst, Riven, or Uru logos.

(assuming your ex-publishers don't still own the rights to any potential t-shirts)

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
Has any consideration been put into setting up a Cyan account at someplace like CafePress? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd buy a t-shirt or two that's related to Myst, Riven, or Uru logos.

(assuming your ex-publishers don't still own the rights to any potential t-shirts)

Oh I'm in the market too! but you bring up a good point with the rights issues :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:53 am 
Obduction Backer

As I recall, Uru, MYST, and Riven-themed goods were (maybe still are?) available from MystWear.

Also as I recall, when the arrangement with MystWear was set up, it meant a greater portion of proceeds would go to Cyan than a site like CafePress offers, where the artist receives a pretty small portion of the profit per item.

Note: MystWear does not appear to have updated their website in a while (last updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010). IMHO, they should update their site at least monthly to ensure potential customers know they're alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:19 am 

Marten wrote:
As I recall, Uru, MYST, and Riven-themed goods were (maybe still are?) available from MystWear.

Also as I recall, when the arrangement with MystWear was set up, it meant a greater portion of proceeds would go to Cyan than a site like CafePress offers, where the artist receives a pretty small portion of the profit per item.

Note: MystWear does not appear to have updated their website in a while (last updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010). IMHO, they should update their site at least monthly to ensure potential customers know they're alive.

I didn't even know that existed. There doesn't seem to be a link anywhere on the MOUL or Cyan websites.

It also looks like most of the designs are screenshots of ages, which is not really the sort of thing I had in mind... there are plenty of logos and patterns in Uru and the other myst games that would look good on a t-shirt. I've never found big colorful pictures on my shirts to be appealing, personally.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:56 am 

This is actually a very very old thing, but Cyan actually has something on Cafepress; or at least when I found a post speaking about it (it must be here somewhere, and probably on the DRC forums too) the author of the post seemed to imply that the account is really owned by Cyan.
I think this is the kind of t-shirt PaladinOfKaos if talking about: http://www.cafepress.fr/drcstuff.3636616
The item seems to still be in Stock, and I can say it is good quality, because I already have one :wink:

EDIT: found the original post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 132  Next