It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Relto music player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 am 
Obduction Backer

So, I don't really want a full-on spoiler here with geography lessons, etc :) ... just a number. As in, how many music tracks are available for the Relto music player? There are so many beautiful pieces of music in MOULa, and I only have two tracks for the player. I keep looking where ever I go, and I'm beginning to wonder if there are any more than those two. If there are more, I am happy to keep looking, so please don't tell me what and where... just if.

I initially tried searching the archives for the answer but then realized I might learn more than I want to by doing that.

And, a corollary question... if there are just the two tracks, how hard is it to make other existing MOULa music files into Relto player files, and would that be something that could reasonably be done by the fan-based community of programmers?

Thanks in advance.

Adar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:44 am 
Obduction Backer

There are only two available, and it's quite illegal to add more songs until we get a content license. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for the prompt reply. I wish there were some way I could contribute to the effort, but my work and life experience do not touch on the relevant aspects of MOULa's needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

(Edit: I'm a moron, I thought you were saying we needed a liscence to add music from outside of the game, not the liscence to edit game ages)

Hm, not being an age-builder and such.. isn't the canen a matter of a python script? If so, wouldn't it be possible to just have it add a whole list of musics innately and have the other unlocks as is? A better solution would be to have it unlock the song for an age when you get to the age/page/etc.. visiting the anti-kadish vault would give that page, visiting teledahn would give the main song, visiting the gallery would give nothing since there is an unlock, and so on. Probably not possible without hijacking the scripts somewhere but the idea of just tossing a whole list into it of the in-game musics would be nice....

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Gondar wrote:
(Edit: I'm a moron, I thought you were saying we needed a liscence to add music from outside of the game, not the liscence to edit game ages)

Hm, not being an age-builder and such.. isn't the canen a matter of a python script? If so, wouldn't it be possible to just have it add a whole list of musics innately and have the other unlocks as is? A better solution would be to have it unlock the song for an age when you get to the age/page/etc.. visiting the anti-kadish vault would give that page, visiting teledahn would give the main song, visiting the gallery would give nothing since there is an unlock, and so on. Probably not possible without hijacking the scripts somewhere but the idea of just tossing a whole list into it of the in-game musics would be nice....

Technically you are correct (Even though you noticed your flub.). However, as Adam stated, Cyan doesn't and won't accept new scripts until a content license agreement for open source developers can be reached. Likewise, these types of edits cannot legally be available on any MOULa shards until a content license is issued. If you'd like more info about this, click here.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
There are only two available, and it's quite illegal to add more songs until we get a content license. :?

I think that classical music older than a certain date can be added without restriction. I used to collect MIDI music from the net until the music industry clamped down on the unauthorized distribution. Even though the MIDI files are really collections of computer instructions directing it how to play the various instruments, the industry won. Since older music is mostly in the public domain, that is about all you can find in MIDI collections, now. I think that Baroque and other classic music could be used with the music player without problem.

I seem to recall that the player in original URU sounded absolutely horrible! I had one in my Relto but only played is a couple times.

Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the cannen only plays .ogg files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, there's a LOT of public domain music. I prefer 30s jazz myself, but classical is great too. You can sort of add it as is. Just replace the psnlMusicPlayer.ogg/psnlGalleryMusic.ogg files in the MOUL\sfx folder (and remove the wav versions from streamingcache if they exist). It needs ogg vorbis, mono, I'm not sure if it cares about constant vs vbr or what have you. I just reworked my own files into mono and tossed them in. It only gives the two songs, and only you hear them instead of which it would normally be playing, but it does work.

Right now though we can't add more, because as helpfully noted that would require editing the age and scripts, and that would require a content license to edit Cyan's work and redistribute modified... or something of the sort. Drat, huh? :?

What I really wish we could have, something I've wanted in a lot of games, is an 'online radio stream' option. As in, from in-game you can tune your radio or music player or what to "http://some.url/playing.ogg" or what have you, and it'd stream it and control from in-game. That way I wouldn't have to fuss with the volume, turn off music, and pull up winamp in the background. Moreso, then when the game needed to turn down or mute the music for a cutscene or special thing, I'd be able to hear it instead of my music blaring over the whole thing full volume.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject: Re: Relto music player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm 

What would really be cool is if you could route URU Live podcast content directly to relto via music player. TECHNICALLY if it is produced by an official source, it wouldn't be illegal as long as you didn't mess with it. Rather, you could use a KI function to open a feed or official subscription managed by iTunes.

Try and get this idea out people! Maybe it can be done!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:44 am 
Obduction Backer

calroger wrote:
I seem to recall that the player in original URU sounded absolutely horrible! I had one in my Relto but only played is a couple times.

Yeah, they make the music more muffled sounding to make it feel like it's coming from the device which is an old D'ni music player.

The gallery music for the Relto music player is a different, lower quality sound file than the original that's used in the gallery itself.

The default Gehn's music for the player also has the muffled effect compared to how it sounded in Riven itself.

Still, it's too bad Cyan didn't add anymore of the collectable canen music additions than just in the gallery.