It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

This topic has been discussed off and on since explorers were allowed in and I believe progress has been made over the years in ascertaining the nature of the district that we are allowed to explore. Discussions of individual buildings are affected by each explorer's definition of the overall purposes of the district.

I want to get this thread started to redirect from the Hall of Kings thread so I'm going to be very brief initially but return later with more detail.

My belief is that the area we have access to is like a Roman forum or a Cathedral compound in that it combines religious, cultural and administrative functions. I don't think any of the buildings are residential and commercial activity was minimal.
We know there were other residential and commercial areas on the island and of course the City Proper on/in the cavern walls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is my first installment of information gleaned from the notebooks of the DRC. I have used the copies posted on the Guild of Greeters site. (If anyone knows of an already existing list of this sort PLEASE let me know as I would much rather be running about peeking into corners of Ae’gura.)

I think it is most important to note that very few of the descriptions of construction projects specify that they were built on Ae’gura island. I have tried to include all buildings that may plausibly have been on the island or that have been discussed by my fellow explorers as being on the island. By the time of Ahlsendar’s birth, reaching “the other side of the city” involved sailing through the Arch. It is not made clear if by “the other side” they meant the other side of the island or the other side of the lake.

This is meant to be a framework into which we can insert information gained from other sources, so please help fill this list out with information known to be canon. Try to cite any sources. Of course please point out where I’ve missed or mistyped information.

[I hope I may be forgiven for slipping in the following editorial opinion.] I take the view that we needn’t try to cram everything mentioned into that part of Ae’gura which we can explore, or even see. Nor should we limit possible building identifications to those mentioned in the notebooks. Unless someone has information from RAWA or his ilk to the contrary, I think this is not like a theme park where whole districts are represented by a single building.

King Ri’neref
Surveyors determine and mark the location and line of the Great Zero pointing magnetic north. The location was partly chosen due to waterfalls from the ceiling of the cavern assuring a sizeable fresh water supply.

Year 0 Great Zero Monument is built

The king decrees that the Great Zero line is to be set apart for holy buildings and all such buildings must have royal approval. Such restrictions were not the usual Ronay way.

The most important religious buildings are built along the GZ line with the rest of the city surrounding the area.

Year 8 The Writers’ Guild is completed having been started “almost immediately”.

Years 48-63 After much wrangling over the design the temple to Yahvo is built, called Regeltovokum. It is a place of worship and a reminder of the Great King who, it was foretold in prophecy, would come at a later time. A gold throne is placed there at some point. (See under king Ja’kreen.)

Year 100 The other 17 Guilds are dedicated on the first Day of the Circle. There are restrictions on the guild buildings including that they must face the GZ (line?), size, shape and minor visual guidelines.

The king refused to build a palace.

King Ailesh
Year 233 The first common library opened.

The king refused to build a palace.

King Shomat
Year 347 The King completes a very lavish palace with ornate gardens.

Years 600-625 The King’s Arch is built to help fulfill a prophecy about the Great King. All subsequent kings travel through the arch to their coronations.

Year 643 The temple of the Great King is completed. Its dimensions are described as exorbitant and odd. The Gold throne is moved there from the temple built by Ri’neref.

Year 775 The king encourages further private construction for the island such as the J’taeri district.

King Mararon
This king expanded the number of guilds and schools.

King Koreen
Year 1323 The Pento invasion and occupation begin. The Palace is evacuated. Ahlsendar was rumored to have been born under the King’s Arch as his mother is fleeing “to the other side of the city”.

As the invasion/occupation continues more of the city is destroyed and more citizens killed.

Judges
Pento forces are fortified in the city.

King Ahlsendar the “Great King”
The king returns to the city. He “sailed directly through the arch to the palace”.

Year 1501 The king has himself sealed in the Temple of the Great King with a massive number of books.
Year 1502 The Temple is renamed the Tomb of the Great King.

King Solath
Years1610-1650 The Karim district is constructed including (but not limited to) an opera house and concert hall. Construction was slow due to various problems. The location of the district is not specified as being on Ae’gura island.

King Me’erta/ Queen Mother Jolatha
The king proposed changing the line of the GZ to align with an unspecified prominent landmark. This was most likely to encourage the construction of cult buildings in a newer section of the city. The new temples were built on his recommended new GZ line but the official line is not changed.

Year 1843 The temple of the Great Tree is built. Some books and a piece of robe taken from the Tomb of the Great King are stored there.

Year 1876 The temple of Water is built.

“Cults spring up everywhere”

Last edited by ventris on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 pm 

Ae'gura could be called a "cultural, traditional and elite" district.
Cultural because of the religious buildings (where are they?) and the many art/museum-style buildings (Pod museum, Concert Hall, Library, Hall of Kings, Kadish Gallery and probably more).
Traditional because it has been attempted to mostly keep it as it was when D'ni was first built (enforced using the restrictions for the GZ line) and the Guilds seem to have their "headquarters" there.
Elite because the very high society was able to build non-common buildings there (the palace, which I assume to be in Ae'gura, and Kadish Gallery, because Kadish was believed to be the Grower).
Maybe also administrative, because of the guilds. But there probably was an administrative district somewhere else.

Another thought: maybe the island of Ae'gura itself had multiple districts and we are just able to visit the central one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 pm 
We do know that there are multiple districts, due to a model of the island showing other clusters of buildings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:39 am 

What I have found is that Shamathen later called Kerathen district was the lowest district bordering the lake in Ae'gura. this district was for the lower class workers,dock workers and boat repairmen and such, A'Gaeris lived in this district.
Jaren district which was located on the upper east flank of Ae'gura was for the upper well to do or near elite class. This district was adjacent to J'Taeri district. Aitrus lived in Jaren
The J'Taeri district was on the upper east flank of Ae'gura. This was the elite district of senior guild members,wealthy merchants. The Great Tree Pub was located here,this district had its own public Library for the elite.
This is all the information I have found so far but there was a district called Belari district were the poorest lived. I am not sure of its location,be it on Ae'gura or City Proper.
Cate Alexander mentioned a district called Ishah in Ae'gura but no infromation on this one either.

KI 00142411

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is some more from the DRC notebooks on the Kings. Again I have tried to limit this to information that might affect Ae’gura but as the books are not very specific I have tried to cast a broad net. I’m not sure whether to include information from the storybooks about the kings. Please let me know of any canonical information to add. As we get our basic facts in agreement then let the deductions and speculation begin!

King Behnashiren
Years 2070-2193 Due to the Pento plague the population decreases tremendously.

King Hemelin
Year 2255 The King becomes deathly ill. He meets Lalen to whose care for him he credits his recovery.

Year 2257 Lalen is credited with the discovery of the book of Birenni which leads to the cure for the plague.

Year 2262 The king and Lalen wed and the D’ni Renaissance begins to develop.

King Naygen
Years 2397- 2408 The D’ni Renaissance is in full swing. Multiple concert halls and theaters are in use in the city (and elsewhere?)

Year 2488 Successful extrusion tests are carried out by Guild of Miners. The king makes the Guild of Miners a major guild and splits the Guild of Fine Arts into multiple minor guilds.

Years 2502 -2504 A new council chamber for the guilds is proposed and constructed over the Tomb of the Great King, largely obscuring it. Inside the council chamber is hidden a massive treasure vault protected by puzzles based on the patterns in the Great King’s Tomb. The patterns are repeated throughout the fabric and decoration of the council chamber

King Hinash
Years 2577-2580 The new Guild of Miners facility is built using swift, efficient extrusion techniques.

The King promotes expansion within the cave system and in the ages. Previously there had been strict control over imports and interactions with other cultures.

Foreign materials and design are used more in construction.

King Needrah
Year 2807 Lahkeer designs an acclaimed monument to the discovery of the Book of Birenni.

Continuing Hinash’s push for expansion within the cavern, new districts begin construction in unspecified locations. Jaren is residential. Kaleh is elite residential(?). Kali is a business district.

Year 2916 The Industrial Extrusion method is announced. It allows for “uni-structural” construction, which involves the weaving or knitting of stone.

King Rakeri
Year 3100 The number of religious sects reaches new low and their membership is generally under 500.

Deteriorating districts, mostly low income areas, are renovated.

A new Theater Company and Concert Hall are constructed in the low income Belari district.

Year 3112 –ca.3123 The Great Temple is almost completely reconstructed using handheld extrusion technology. Inside, the temple is painted by the artist Fahlee.

The original line of the Great Zero is honored again.

Expansion continues inside and outside the cavern.

King Tejara
Year 3271 The royal palace undergoes major renovation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I try to stay out of Ae'goura. I have Ag'ouraphobia.

Could not resist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Whereas I am clearly Ae'gura-cultural.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 am 

Teknobubba wrote:
I try to stay out of Ae'goura. I have Ag'ouraphobia.

Could not resist.

ventris wrote:
Whereas I am clearly Ae'gura-cultural.

Funny! :D

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

More notes from the DRC books about the kings. If anyone has notes from the DRC communications, such as Sharper saying that the J'taeri district is "way up" somewhere please post them. At some point we could try to correlate the locations in the novels with what we can see in our district of Ae'gura. Unfortunately the novels seem to be canon as far as general events but not so much as to locations so we have to be careful not to shoehorn in things from the novels.

King Kedri
"Up to that point the Island had been set aside for the elite"

The king founded the district of Shamathen, later called Kerath'en as a "more affordable" residential area.

The king financed extensive renovation throughout D'ni. These projects included adding to the Great Temple and the Opera house.

King Ji
Year 4500 The Watcher writes Words.

During this reign a Guild of Legislators is mentioned.

King Demath
Year 4826 Fusion compounding technology is developed by the Guild of Masons.

King Yableshan
Year 4889 The king announces the first renovation of the Guild structures since their founding, loosening the restrictions on their construction.

Year 4901 The king announces plans for a new Common Library in Vanem, a middle class district.

King Emen
The head of the Relyimah is mentioned as having more than one mansion containing puzzle rooms.

Many of, or most of, the islands which had previously belonged to the government, are sold to very rich private owners.

Year 5202 The king approves a public ferry system connecting Ae'gura, the City Proper and the surrounding islands.

Year 5236 The guild of Masons announces the invention of Deretheni which will allow much improved building techniques.

King Me'emen
Year 5307 The Guilds of Miners and Masons reveal the creation of Nara " a metallic stone 30 times the density of steel" which will have a massive impact on construction.

Renewed interest in Words causes new attention to be given to older temples on the alternate GZ line which are renovated and remodeled. They are referred to as "secular" temples.

The king proposes but does not carry out a tunnel from Ae'gura to the City Proper due to opposition mainly from rich Ae'gura residents.

King Lanaren
Year 5714 The king "pushes through" the decision to build a tunnel between Ae'gura and the City proper and the tunnel is begun.

Year 5734 The tunneling is halted ostensibly due to environmental concerns but more due to Guild Masters resident on Ae'gura opposing it.

King Jaron
Renovation and construction continues throughout D'ni.

The king pushes for expansion and exploration of the cavern. Resulting in the greatest expansion in the city's history.

King Rikooth
The king continues expansion of the city and cavern.

King Kerath
The king starts official turnover of power to the Guilds.

The king recommends renovations and additions to the Council Chamber.

Year 6970 Construction is begun on the new Guild Hall for all the guilds to symbolize their official power. The Hall and adjacent government buildings further cover the tomb of the Great King.

Year 6977 The king turns power over to 5 Guild Lords.

Guild Lords
The Mee-Dis invasion results in the near destruction of the Ink Making and Book Making Guilds and the further withdrawal of the D'ni from involvement with non-D'ni.

The Kings' Arch comes to be called Kerath's Arch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

From the books on the kings we have a description of Ae’gura Island as the religious and governmental center as well as the most prestigious residential area for the elite. Which of these districts of Ae’gura Island do we enter when we arrive at the ferry terminal? Almost all the buildings we can see could be said to be on or very close to the Great Zero line. We are told that generally, under the kings, only religious buildings were built on that line and that other important buildings faced it. There were 2000+ years (say 6 life spans) under Guild rule to change this policy but, as the notebooks mention the D’ni remodeling rather than removing important structures, most of the buildings we see could date back, in some form, to the days of the kings . Therefore I suggest that the district we visit is not a residential district.

If the Great Zero line was originally reserved for religious buildings the area we have access to should be a religious center. The DRC did not label any of the structures as temples but we have a few unlabeled or undefined buildings which may have religious purposes.

It seems to me that the area we have access to includes, or at least abuts, the administrative center of the Dni empire. The DRC’s map designates one building above the plaza as the Guild Hall. We can tell from the descriptions of the process of law making that the Guild Council Chamber became, over time, the seat of government. The Guild Hall tower, which we can see far above the plaza, was intended to house all the guilds and represent their power. Centers of government usually accrete subsidiary offices and buildings to house them. Such buildings are mentioned as having further covered the Tomb of the Great King and presumably make up part of the built up area we see below the Guild Hall.

Since the buildings furthest from the Great Zero line have been designated by the DRC as serving cultural purposes we must also think of the district we visit as a cultural center. The Museum contains portraits of royalty, a number of book stands some of which hold the pod age books, and the sculpture in the center, seemingly all available to any visitors. The Concert Hall has been demonstrated elsewhere (see the Ae'gura Investigations: Concert Hall Balcony thread) as possibly large enough to accommodate an audience of multiple hundreds. The Hall of Kings appears to be some kind of display room and since the main road to the library passes through it we might think of it as a public museum or monument. The Library has a large plaza and extends several floors underground so it seems likely it accommodated a steady flow of patrons.

Whether the district had significant commercial activity is harder to determine. What we refer to as the ”Pub” seems to have provided communal drinking facilities for some group but we don’t know if this was a business catering to visitors or a perk of bureaucrats. What we call the ”Mall” could have anything behind the doors but as the surrounding buildings, presumably including Kadish’s Gallery, were seemingly not commercial perhaps we should expect the same of the ”Mall” spaces. Unless we are to suppose that, under the Guilds, buildings in the Great Zero corridor were converted to commercial uses, then probably the Tokotah buildings were not department stores or hotels.

The center of power and religion for a country will receive many visitors for official business, religious ceremonies, civic ceremonies and sightseeing. The broad streets, pictographic directional signs and multiple overlooks are evidence of these uses. The streets could accommodate both processionals and crowds of foot traffic. The pictographic signs indicate that large numbers of the visitors would be unfamiliar with the district and may possibly have had trouble reading signs written in D’ni. The existence of overlooks indicates not only that there was something particular to be seen from those vantage points, but that more than a few people might be expected be looking the view at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Now, pending the influx of information on our district of Ae'gura here are some issues that I think merit attention and perhaps their own threads if enough information or speculation is forthcoming.

Chief of course is "Which are the religious buildings?" The DRC for whatever reason did not identify them but perhaps gave us some hints that can be uncovered. I think we have some evidence as to the identity of the Great Temple of Yahvo but that surely needs it's own thread.

What's with the palace? The structure so labeled certainly has little in common with the grandiose homes of the kings described in the notebooks.

Can we see evidence of building with extrusion methods, perhaps even identify any possible nara?

Can we find evidence of different stages of the building of the district?

Can we at all convincingly, or just for discussion's sake, unconvincingly, link any of the unlabeled buildings or monuments with those mentioned in the notebooks?

Can we do the same with anything in the novels? In this I imagine we could include K'veer.

If we were going at this really intently, as I'm sure those before us have done, we ought to have examinations of different decorative motifs, materials, and methods.This could help identify buildings. Perhaps someone knows where previous explorers left us this sort of thing. We could include D'ni structures in other ages and again K'veer as it's rich in decoration, such as the picture of Ri'neref, from which we might gain insight .

This may be unanswerable unless someone has information from RAWA but why "The City Proper" ?
Usually one finds the oldest part of a city referred to as "The City" not the later additions. In Greece it is "Acropolis" or High City* because that part was on a defensible hilltop but to have the newer part of a city referred to as the "proper" city seems strange. Has anyone seen it written in D'ni and could it be an error in translation?

*In case anyone doesn't already know, the Agora in ancient Athens was the marketplace where some of the temples and monuments and most of the municipal buildings were located. It is at the foot of the Acropolis and is where much of the governance took place after they got rid of their royalty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

When Ae'gura is discussed reference is often made to artists visions of the various buildings and areas. Care must be taken when using them for reference as often these do not match what we see on Ae'gura but they can help in trying to identify buildings and features.

Many of these can be found at the COLAB architecture site.
http://colabarchitecture.com/colabproje ... nment.html

A version of the Guild Hall is depicted in a poster seen and photographed at Cyan headquarters by various explorers (in this case Dimension Traveler Calum's father).

http://picasaweb.google.com/117044856157140598755/Mysterium09?gsessionid=xKt1rZesz63gevJYTpBpwg#5368069284638671298

Also a at Cyan was a clay model of the island, which again does not quite match what we see before us in a number of ways.
http://www.mtn-man.org/images/cyan/DSCN7408.jpg