It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:33 pm 

*bump* ... due to a discussion in City just no this Topic came to mind.

Please continue presenting constructive ideas* on how we can help ourselves and Cyan
to keep MOULa Alive & Well!

Last edited by m.a.x.2.0 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
*as not like "you-can't'-do-that-because-Cyan/UBisoft/PrestoStudios/Layers/YourMom-would-not-like-it

Uh, isn't it a good idea to keep things realistic? That means keeping in mind who owns what and how likely it would be to get appropriate permission. Slapping people down for half of what they plan to contribute before they even do so is always a bad idea (you've just lost someone).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:24 pm 

You're right Adam! I should have put that in /irony-tags. Sorry for that! But I should also
have mentioned, I think the cavern has talent good enough to create some original artwork
and not merely use any of Cyan's (or other involved companies) copyrighted material...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay, that makes more sense :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 pm 

If there's a need for Age themed clothing designs, I have these logos lying around depicting the various ages. :)

The Pods
Gardens + Shell Ages
Minkata
and finally
The Journey Ages

I also have a CavCon logo design if anyone wants to use it. :)

Designs like these can be transferred from a flat image to actual clothing such as Hats rather well, I think.

Last edited by Calumon on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:35 pm 

Clearly this is still a relevant thread. MOULa is struggling more now than ever.

So what is our strategy?

Mine, personally, is to work as hard as possible on Sevkor, get that in position as soon as possible.

Somebody asked how large it would be. I had debated expanding it further and further but I figure that given that it is already getting pretty heavy on filesize and polycount, and also given the crisis we're facing right now, I will hold off on expanding it until later. Right now I just want to do some cleaning up and optimization on the areas I already have, and hand it off to Karkadann within the next month.

The current scope of the age, it has a polycount of about 80,000, and approx. 160 spaces for linking books. It's got a massive texture filesize by this point, which is a problem I will still need to solve.

I'm outputting it to Uru:CC for testing right now, to make sure that everything looks good.

If that goes well... I may post a new video of Sevkor within 24 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I saw way back on the first page of this thread that people were mentioning t-shirt designs to sell through Zazzle or District Lines. Both of those are good options, but the shirts tend to be prohibitively expensive with a very low return. (I've used Zazzle and looked into District Lines as an alternative.)

However, I just helped do a campaign through TeeSpring, which is kind of like a Kickstarter t-shirt place. You design the shirt, then set a minimum order and a price. You can get down to a minimum of 10 shirts and the price is usually still under $15 each, compared to Zazzle or District Lines that push $20+ if you want a small profit.

Anyway, I'd love to see some Myst shirt campaigns there, with profits going to benefit MOULa. I'm sure a cool design like one of Calumon's Age logos could sell at least 10 shirts, which at $15 would net $30 for MOULa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or, if you're like me, you have family who prints T-Shirts every day and can get them for about $7 each. But doing it that way represents a potentially hefty initial investment and some risk involved in not recouping losses. The effort in manually shipping items is also not fun to think about :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:02 pm 

I'm trying to get set up to do t-shirts ... I'm just waiting for a reply from Cyan regarding permission.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 pm 

Yeah, it might take a while for them to respond. In my experience, sometimes they take a long time to do so, and sometimes messages fall through the cracks and they don't respond at all.

Sorry I haven't posted a new video of Sevkor, even though it looks fine in Blender things sometimes screw up when shifting into Uru:CC... there are some unanticipated glitches that need to be resolved.

I'm liking the T-shirt idea, it could help. Do we have any other ideas?

3d-printed miniatures? (I've made models with Shapeways before)... mousepads and other printed stuff on a site like CafePress? Handmade items?

Not necessarily good ideas but I'm throwing them out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:40 pm 

matthornb wrote:
Yeah, it might take a while for them to respond. In my experience, sometimes they take a long time to do so, and sometimes messages fall through the cracks and they don't respond at all.

No cracks for it to fall through ... Dogherra and Tor'i know about my request so it's just a case of waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 pm 

Here's an alternative to t-shirts which I have seen used before, just sell some designs for say $5 each or a bundle for $10-15 which people can d/load, print it yourself on transfer paper and iron it on a t-shirt, I've done loads it's easy.

Available designs are only shown in a small size and you only get access to the large quality design via a d/link when you have paid like most digital d/loads, this way you eliminate any t-shirt supply problems or unsold t-shirts :wink:

It would also be a chance for all the artists and designers on the forum to show their work and maybe some designs could be voted on and made available for d/loads for t-shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm 

D'hekimo wrote:
Here's an alternative to t-shirts which I have seen used before, just sell some designs for say $5 each or a bundle for $10-15 which people can d/load, print it yourself on transfer paper and iron it on a t-shirt, I've done loads it's easy.

Available designs are only shown in a small size and you only get access to the large quality design via a d/link when you have paid like most digital d/loads, this way you eliminate any t-shirt supply problems or unsold t-shirts :wink:

It would also be a chance for all the artists and designers on the forum to show their work and maybe some designs could be voted on and made available for d/loads for t-shirts.

I'll keep this answer short ... unless you put a watermark on a picture, anyone can get it and put it on a transfer for free ...
If I do them, they won't be iron-on transfers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 pm 

D'hekimo wrote:

Here's the long answer to Alien's short answer.

As someone who's put their artwork up online- I usually put watermarks on the pictures I do for other people and/or plan on using personally, such as Logos and commissions, and do not on the pieces I consider to be 'honored use,' read: I'd be honored if someone tried to claim it as their own (I'd still ask for it to be removed, however).

But Art gets stolen easily online even with signatures and water marks, and some people are stupid enough to not even try to remove the signatures or watermarks and pass it off as their own. So watermarks are necessary for artists who wish to use a piece of artwork for their own purposes.

As a logo designer who came up with some URU Age design logos for Shirt use, I'd rather not have them put up as a 'downloadable'. If I were putting my designs up for being sold as T-Shirt designs, I would rather have someone I trust (Alien, in this example) actually print the designs onto a Shirt and not have someone use that artwork as an "Iron On" design.

The reason for that is simple: Some foreign companies will see this, pay a *ONE TIME* fee (Or more often times just straight up steal it without even paying for it), and then take that downloadable that you use as an example, and then put it on their own merchandise for their OWN profits.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I've seen people make money off of other people's work claiming it to be their own (Or even worse, claim that they have PERMISSION to use it when they don't!), and more often than not art thieves really don't care about getting the original artist's names out there.

DL;DR: As an Artist, I would rather have my artwork PROFESSIONALLY printed rather than provided as a Cheap Iron On.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2