It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:58 pm 

I am not sure why we are not seeing discussion on this happening here... Am I missing something? :?

Both Facebookand Google+ have discussion on going.

The actual kickstarter project is here: Cyan Worlds - Obduction.

It has taken over the Cyan.com home page. It has its own web site: ObductionGame.com.

Spread the word. :!:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

On the main Cyan forums: http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28&start=540

(I suppose there'll be an Obduction subforum there eventually.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great idea, Nalates, it is good to spread the word as wide as possible and post the great news everywhere ... :P

I suppose most are so excited and as belford said, are posting and following the posts on the Cyan forums and spreading the word on other forums and websites and Reddit, Fb and Twitter etc. etc. that we all forgot our old MOUL forums for now lol ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

When do we get vid running around in cavern, shouting "obduction!" And pointing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 pm 

Did my part. Gave them $45. If I could afford any more I'd have done it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
When do we get vid running around in cavern, shouting "obduction!" And pointing?

OHBduction meme in 3, 2...

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Donation in!

If you donate $25 you are in effect buying the game on digital download :D

Amazing news.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:04 pm 

I'm sorry. this will not be a popular opinion, and you are free to disagree with it, it is just an opinion.

I cannot back Obduction.

The game is about being abducted (Rand's own words in the video) so why not not call it Aduction? I am not even sure Obduction is even a real word.

Then ... how much support is this game going to get once Cyan have made all the money they are going to make from it? They don't want to support MOULa. Cosmic Osmo shut down. Once Cyan aren't making money from it, they abandon it.

And actually, if Cyan can make a brand new game, why not make new content for MOULa? Why not help the "thriving, dedicated community" they mentioned in the Kickstarter (while conveniently ignoring MOULa)? Don't give me "they can't afford it" Rubbish. They can afford to develop a game that is not making a single dollar yet.

Why are Cyan determined to distance themselves from MOULa? Why two forums? Why isn't MOULa on the newer forum? (I actually don't like the new forum, it looks horrible and I refuse to look at it). Why isn't MOULa mentioned in the Kickstarter? "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (Myst Online). It spawned a thriving, dedicated community and is still available to explore for free." is NOT mentioning MOULa.

If Cyan have no faith or interest in MOULa ... then I have no faith or interest in Cyan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Alien, I presume you're concerned that donations once destined for MOULa might go to the Kickstarter campaign instead. That may be true in some cases, but the campaign only lasts one month. I'm sure MOULa will survive. Remember, Uru is the game that will not die.

Cyan is a business and they've got to do what's best to keep it alive. And, yet, they've still done so much just to keep the fans happy even when it wasn't profitable - like bringing Uru back for free. It just doesn't make good financial sense to create new content for a game that's free.

Now, if, or I should say "when" rather - when Obduction becomes a successful and profitable game, that will be good for Cyan's financial health, keeping their doors open longer, which in turn will keep the cavern open longer.

This will be good for all of us, I promise. :)

And, yes, obduction is a real word.

For this game, it's a play on words. From the Obduction Kickstarter page:
Quote:
Ob`duc´tion, n.1. The act of drawing or laying over, as a covering.

Obduction is an all-new, real-time, first-person adventure that harkens back to the spirit of Cyan’s earlier games Myst and Riven. Obduction resurrects that incredible feeling of suddenly finding yourself in the middle of a new world to explore, discover, solve, and become part of.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 pm 

I really want to believe it. I want to land in an unknown world, as I did years ago in "Myst," and go walkabout to find out why I'm there. I'd like to be in the book, not just reading it.

Having seen the promise of Uru go bust several times, and having put my shoulder to the wheel in my small-scale attempts to keep it out of the ditch, only to see nothing more from Cyan than a limping server, I'm just not sure if this dream is really going to happen.

I want to play "Riven" again for the first time. Is "Obduction" that game?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Marten wrote:

OHBduction meme in 3, 2...

http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?p=1148#p1148

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
If Cyan have no faith or interest in MOULa

Then Moula would have shut down by now. But it hasn't.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

What this project has over Uru is that it just needs to get finished. It doesn't need a continual influx of content and money after the ship date.

Now, Kickstarter projects can run late and over budget. (Ask me about mine!) But that's the risk of any game development project, no matter how it's funded.

Anyhow, this isn't a complicated question. Donate for the game, or games, that you want to play. It's your decision. Don't get all exercised about what other people may or may not be doing. They're making their own decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lord Chaos wrote:
I really want to believe it. I want to land in an unknown world, as I did years ago in "Myst," and go walkabout to find out why I'm there. I'd like to be in the book, not just reading it.

Having seen the promise of Uru go bust several times, and having put my shoulder to the wheel in my small-scale attempts to keep it out of the ditch, only to see nothing more from Cyan than a limping server, I'm just not sure if this dream is really going to happen.

I want to play "Riven" again for the first time. Is "Obduction" that game?

LC, I'd say, the energy backing might be even more important and effective as the money backing, though money is very important in our world still of course lol ... What I'd like to express here is that without the determination, the belief and trust in that dream and of course the openness to perceive and receive in excitement it might be quite difficult or even almost impossible for a dream to become fulfilled ... :P

As to your question if 'Obduction' could be that one game, I'd answer a clear 'Yes' ... as far as I at least feel about this game and how it is all coming about, presented and received etc., it all looks, sounds and esp. feels that it has absolutely the potential to be resp. to become that game your and maybe many more hearts are longing for ... :)

I mean, this is a very ambitious project, with the intention and prospect of having again very awesome talented people working on it who are very passionate about it and as Rand says, they want to create something phenomenal, and I believe they can do it, they can do it again, they have what it takes and in a whole new and extraordinary way and of course with even more refined and convenient tools to accomplish their visions and ideas ... :D

As to the doubts in regards to MOULa, I believe that Cyan wouldn't abandon it, in the contrary, I believe, as Tai'lahr expressed it already so nicely 'they've still done so much just to keep the fans happy even when it wasn't profitable - like bringing Uru back for free' etc. and if Cyan will be successful that will benefit MOULa too and keep the cavern open even longer which would otherwise not necessarily be so maybe ... :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Alien, at first I just thought you were going to sardonically complain about the title, which one could possibly construe as prejudiced against Aliens because there are so many Alien abductions going on all the time - usually in the woods or around hidden ponds where no one else is around to witness. And go figure why no one has ever come back with an artifact, but I digress. So don't be afraid, just because you are Alien doesn't mean we think you will abduct us! Some of my best friends are probably Aliens. ;)

For the rest, I think Cyan and the fans have learned the historical lesson that after two failed commercial attempts with Myst Online that nearly closed Cyan forever, it's not smart business. So it's now up to the fans to continue the legacy with MOULa. Cyan has graciously allowed us to do that. Cyan is extremely smart to keep the Obduction KickStarter focus where it belongs - on the new game - and not distract, confuse, or cause questions from potential contributors with other things that really don't have anything to do with the new game other than Cyan's history of proving the kind of gameplay framework found in Myst. It's just smart business and smart marketing. There's nothing to take personally for those who also happen to like and enjoy MOULa by promoting Obduction. A parent might understand this as cheering and supporting each of their children as individuals without comparing them against each other. Obduction's success can only help us and it is likely to renew interest of Cyan's older games - such as MOULa - among new fans when they go looking for more Cyan content.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next