It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:52 am 
Obduction Backer

hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone ! :)
i have a strange problem with one of my avatars. it started approx. one month ago, i didn't report it because i hoped it will get fixed by itself somehow but it didn't :( note: it is not a new avatar and the problem i have with her occurred recently.
so the problem i have with that avatar (Magic ZESTY) is that whenever i log in with her she appears without legs (trousers) :? and that only if she wore jeans previously (jeans being the only trousers i actually like to dress my avatars in). she has upper body and shoes but no legs. i have to go to the wardrobe and dress her every time i log in and then it's ok until i crash or log in the next time. sometimes i really don't have much time for playing and going to the wardrobe to dress the avatar is time consuming and annoying . Magic ZESTY is one of my main avatars and I am often playing with her. the other 3 female avatars that I have are fine, never had any similar problems with them.
please advise and help if you can. thank you.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Zesty!

Though you didn't say, I assume you are running Uru on Windows, correct? If so, then I wonder if you are experiencing a Windows bug related to the November version rollout/rollback. Mac Cider users have been experiencing game crashes related to the incomplete rollback to version 918.

Try this and see if it helps:

• Navigate to your Uru installation directory (in Windows it will in be some flavor of Program Files and then in Uru Live)
  • Look inside the dat subdirectory
  • Find and delete these two files: GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp, GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp
  • Restart MOULa and check your avatar appearance

If this works, then you will have to repeat the above steps each time you want to start MOULa with this avatar (the two borked files are re-downloaded each time MOULa updates itself *after you login with your password*). We expect this bug to be fixed whenever the next update is rolled out (no estimated date for that yet, though).

Post your results here so we know if this fixes it (and so others can benefit from your experience). I sure do hope this helps!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
If this works, then you will have to repeat the above steps each time you want to start MOULa with this avatar (the two borked files are re-downloaded each time MOULa updates itself *after you login with your password*). We expect this bug to be fixed whenever the next update is rolled out (no estimated date for that yet, though).

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Ainia. So, it is a known bug isn't it ? Well that is a kind of relief because then there is a chance to see it fixed soon :)

Now, if I have to do what you suggested each time I start MOULA then it is easier and less time consuming and I would say less dangerous (I might accidentally delete something else and then what ?) to just go to the wardrobe each time and put jeans on my avatar. Also, you mentioned that you expect this bug to be fixed so I will wait for that.

I still don't understand though why this bug affects only one of my avatars ? They are all in the same account and share the same dat file. :? :?:

P.S. Yes, I am running URU on Windows 7.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:32 pm 

It's easer to run a .BAT file(script) to delete the correct file and then launch the game. This can be done without risk, as you can past the name of the file into the script avoiding any human error.

Here is what the code looks like:
Code:
DEL dat\GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp
DEL dat\GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp
UruLauncher.exe

Put this into a text file with a .bat extension and put it in the same folder as UruLauncher.exe. Don't worry about messing up your URU folder since you can get everything back buy deleting TOS.txt and running UruLauncher.exe. You can also backup your 'dat' folder. After you made this launch, the bat file instead of URU.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Zesty,

My best guess about why only one avvie is having this problem, is that you probably created her recently, after the rollout/rollback and that her clothing settings have somehow become "tangled" with those two dat files. However, this is only a guess (and a fairly wild one too).

Neither of those two files are supposed to be present in MOULa version 918 (they are an addition of new clothing items, intended for the update they'd wanted to make back in November). They are erroneously being reuploaded when MOULa goes through a second automatic update process after you log in. I am guessing that as these clothing items are actually present (because the two rogue dat files are loaded) but not visible, their presence creates some conflicting clothing settings for this avvie.

Bottom line is that it's quite safe to delete these two dat files as they aren't supposed to be available or used in 918. Jamie's solution should work nicely and can be created and saved using your favorite text editor (Notepad is included in all versions of Windows and can be found via your Start menu under the Accessories folder, I believe).

For added convenience, you can create a shortcut to your bat file and put it on your desktop. Double-clicking the shortcut should run the bat file, which will first delete the two dat files and than launch MOULa.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

hello and firstly no, it is not a new avatar. it is an old avatar. there is an avatar that i created after november 2013 though but that avatar looks perfectly fine. :shock: no bugs on her.

secondly, as far as i understand, regardless of what i do bat or dat the same issue remains. i will have to do it EACH and EVERY time i start MOULA and it is more time consuming than just going to the wardrobe with the avatar and put pants on her. time is something that i don't have so i will choose the option that is less time consuming :)

since there is no a permanent solution i will wait for the permanent fix of the problem whenever it comes in the future. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not at all convinced that this has anything to do with those two files or the rollback - Zesty said in the OP that it is an older avatar, not a recently created one and this is the only report (that I'm aware of) for this particular problem, so I'm more inclined to suspect a problem with the avatar's vault. However, I'd be interested to learn whether or not touching those files does cure the problem.

Jamie's proposal doesn't really add any extra time, because you'd run the .BAT file instead of launching Uru - the .BAT file launches Uru for you at the end.

As an FYI, the two .PRP files mentioned here are simply copies of a pre-existing clothing PRP file so would be unlikely to suddenly cause problems now. The reason we have these "dummy" files at all is because of a limitation in the patcher - it can't delete files, only add new ones or change existing files. By the time the problem with the fan clothing files was discovered, some people had already downloaded the update, so the only way to remove the copyright infringing material was to force the patcher to replace the files with something else, and the nature of the temporary workround means that those files get re-patched every time you start up MOULa.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Jamie's proposal doesn't really add any extra time, because you'd run the .BAT file instead of launching Uru - the .BAT file launches Uru for you at the end.

but i will have to do the process each time i start URU right ? the process with the bat file ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:03 pm 

You only have to make the bat file once and can run it as many times as you want. Though as Mac says this MAY NOT solve your problem. Actually if anyone wants a copy of the bat file, PM me with your email address and I'll email you one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

hm you are confusing me now. what i want is a permanent fix of the problem. i do not want to run it many times. why would i want that ? but i understood i will have to in order to have the problem fixed. i understood i will have to do it each time i want to start MOULA. probably i don't understand something here or maybe we don't understand each other... :? what i want is to click on MOULA shortcut on my desktop and enter the game that works. if something needs to be fixed that's ok, i can do it once but to do it each and every time i want to play the game well, that's too much for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 pm 

My script is a possible permanent fix to the problem. However it MAY stop working once Cyan comes up with the real fix.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Zesty,

The proposed solution we are discussing is making the assumption that these steps actually correct the symptoms you are experiencing. Thus far, it's not clear to me if you have tested this and what the results of such a test have yielded. Of course, if these steps do nothing about your symptoms, then the rest of the discussion is moot. ;)

All of this is a temporary workaround to the situation we are in from Cyan's November MOULa update that they had to roll back to the "old" 918 version. The expectation is that whenever the next MOULa update is ready to be deployed, it will include a "fix" for this. Based on Mac_Fife's description above, my best guess is that some new MOULa files were added in that update but since they contained copyrighted material and couldn't be deleted (because of a limitation on how the updates work), they had to be replaced by "dummy" files instead. The permanent fix will happen when Cyan can roll out "real" files to replace the "dummy" ones.

At least with the Mac bug symptoms, the trouble is connected with the post-login updating/adding of these two files and the *next* time the explorer logs in to MOULa. Which means that the two files are present during the current MOULa session but don't cause problems until the next time MOULa is run. This part of the Mac symptoms sounded very similar to what you described in your OP, that the problem only happens the *next* time you run MOULa, which is why I suggested you try the Mac workaround.

Thus far, the only reliable workaround for the Mac Cider symptoms are to delete these two files before starting MOULa.

Jamie's script suggestion is simply a fast way to perform these steps each time you start MOULa. Once the next MOULa update is rolled out, Jamie's script should be unneeded and you can run MOULa by double-clicking UruExplorer.exe as usual.

[[Mac_Fife, thanks for the details about the presence of these two files, it helps to make sense out of the MOULa update behavior. However, I'm pretty sure these two files are *not* present in the original 918 version; at least that's what it looked like back in November when I was testing the Mac Cider stack dump symptoms.]]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jamie Marchant wrote:
It's easer to run a .BAT file(script) to delete the correct file and then launch the game. This can be done without risk, as you can past the name of the file into the script avoiding any human error.

You could do something similar on a Mac, by making a shell script. In a text file type (I assume the Cider wrapper is in the Applications folder):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/dat/;
rm GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp;
open /Applications/Myst Online.app;
exit
and save it as, say, urulive.sh.
Now you need to make it executable. To do this, launch the Terminal (it’s in the Utilities folder inside Applications), type “chmod 755 ” (with a trailing space) and drag urulive.sh on the Terminal window; it should now display something like “chmod 755 /path/to/urulive.sh”. Now hit Return.
When you double-click urulive.sh, it will delete the two files and launch the game.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 am 
Obduction Backer

I run URU on Windows 7.

Anyway I forgot to mention possibly important detail. It is ONLY ME that sees my avatar without legs. Other players see it complete and they even sent me KI pictures that confirms this.
So not really sure what to make of it all ... :?

Finally, no I didn't dare to try any of the fixes suggested yet because it seems nobody knows for sure what is the cause of the problem and I don't want to make it bigger and more serious than it is already. Let's hope the new update will fix it. Besides, I am in the middle of a big game with that avatar and wouldn't like to mess it up.

You now about the bug now and all the details that I provided and probably that would help you fix the problem. There is a possibility that other players have it too but just simply didn't bother to report it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Possibly nor related, but missing limbs (or worse :D ) seems to happen now and then even on shards; apparently it’s a local problem, as not everybody get it at the same time or with the save avatar.

Coming soon: The Legend of Sleepy Uru

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next