It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm currently reading through the amazing Dragon Age: World of Thedas book. For those who may not know, the book is kind of like an encyclopaedia to the world of Dragon Age, giving thorough information about the world's peoples, history, lands, factions, religions and so it. It is utterly fascinating to see how much world building has gone into that game series.

It got me thinking about how cool a similar book for Myst would be. The Myst series has a TONE or lore and it would be wonderful to see it all collected in one place. Also, it could give Cyan the change to clean up the continuity confusion introduced by Uru.

So what do you think? Would such a book be something you're interested in and do you think it'd ever happen?

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd support it! Then I can finally stop answering questions that I've already answered a thousand times.

Plus, having a comprehensive reference of everything would be really useful. Including all the stuff that we've learned over the years from RAWA, Rand, and other sources.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Yes! That would be awesome. But, if it's ever going to happen, I think the community will have to do it and they can. First, gather all the information that's already out there. Then, gather the community historians to organize it. Then, raise funds to pay RAWA to edit it and to fund publishing it. I'd support that.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 pm 

The MYST Lore wiki used to be an excellent source like this. Unfortunately, it shut down years ago and is most likely never coming back.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd support this, and contribute if I could, especially towards a history of community work on the D'ni language.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

This sounds like a cool idea, I hop to see one someday.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Excellent idea, the thought of a big beautiful book filled with lore, sketches, artwork, lessons on D'ni linguistics and iconography, history, stories, and even some new information is irresistible. Especially if the book is designed and produced by the community, the dedicated caretakers of the Myst flame. I'd support however possible, even if it just means following the project and investing in a copy. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Kohdi wrote:
following the project and investing in a copy. :D

Sounds like another Kickstarter project to me

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:56 pm 

Almost every idea is a great ideas as long as you don't have to make it happen and
become true all by yourself. Sorry to say this, but from the experiences made within
the community... You might be on your own here. But I've also been proven wrong
from time to time. Yeah, sure! I'd like to see a "Encyclopedia Myst'ica" some day!
Ken Telinome wrote:
The MYST Lore wiki used to be an excellent source like this. Unfortunately, it shut
down years ago and is most likely never coming back.

Yup. One huge loss right there! And nobody seems to know who was behind the site.
At least I've not managed to figure it out. Anybody know who has the "keys"to their
digital archives? No point in inventing the wheel again, if that's already done...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
And nobody seems to know who was behind the site.

To my knowledge MYSTlore was run by chucker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:10 am 
Obduction Backer

There's been some discussion around the house about starting to rebuild MystLore, probably as a more inclusive CyanLore type thing. It just needs to wait until other projects are done :)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
This is a project I could definitely get behind. As I've said many times before, the information is scattered all over the Web, and really needs to be collected in one place. (Preferably the DRC site, but its return is anyone's guess.)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Speaking of MystLore, wouldn’t it be possible to salvage as many articles as possible with the Wayback Machine and recreate them or integrate the existing ones in the other Wiki?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
korovev wrote:
Speaking of MystLore, wouldn’t it be possible to salvage as many articles as possible with the Wayback Machine and recreate them or integrate the existing ones in the other Wiki?
Please define what you mean by "articles" - is that any news article on Myst games, Cyan, etc. or do you mean chatlogs and other information posted about the story?

While working on Mac_Fife's D'ni Sphider project, I ended up with quite a collection of links to news articles and fan sites. I decided they needed to be saved and organized (and the endangered sites archived to the Wayback Machine), so I started looking for a place to do that. But when I looked at current sites like the Myst Wiki and the Guild of Archivists, their focus is on the IC story and I didn't think they'd want me cluttering up their sites with all my OOC links. So, I just found a place "off the beaten path" to organize my project.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Presumably Korovev meant "wiki articles from mystlore itself". They can certainly be snarfed from archive.org. On the other hand if you just want to read them as-was, archive.org is the best place to do that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next