It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm 

Hi everyone!

I've been a Myst fan since 2007, and have played all the games (haven't completed Myst IV, Uru, or Myst V. I plan on correcting that this summer, though). I missed the Uru Live boat before so I'm so glad to find out that it's now available for free! Only thing is, I had some questions about it and hoped you guys could give me some advice!

Firstly, I've played a lot of Uru: Complete Chronicles, and will be completing that game soon. Does the Cyan version of Myst Online offer a lot of new experiences to the single player Uru? I understand there are a couple of new ages in MOULa, but I'm confused at what else (if anything) is different. I assume it's worth it to play Uru and MOUL both, right?

Where in the "Myst Timeline" does MOUL go? I know a lot of it is the same as Uru (which takes place before Myst V) but I know there were some references to Myst V in it as well, so I'm a little confused about that.

Lastly, I know there are other shards for the game (Cyan has even linked to a couple of them). But I've been to the websites for those shards and the topics aren't very total beginner-friendly. My main questions regarding other shards are "What is the "best one"? Which one has the most new content? And is it worth playing on another shard, or should I just play on Cyan's shard?

I'm sure these questions have been answered many times before, but I've tried to do a bit of research and haven't found any "easy"/worded-for-a-beginner answers, so I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks for reading this! I'm excited to finally explore the cavern with others!

D.A. McCoy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:39 pm 

Welcome D.A. McCoy.

----
Does the Cyan version of Myst Online offer a lot of new experiences to the single player Uru?
----
There are several new ages to explorer. But the big diffrence is you are not limmited to explorer alone. Also the age Ahnona(or however it's 'really' spelt) was desinged to need a 'buddy' to completly solve it. It was modified for 'Path Of The Shell' and changed back to it's original design in MOUL.

------
Where in the "Myst Timeline" does MOUL go?
------
Well, keep in mind that Myst 1 - 4 take place in the (late?) 1800s, 'URU Ages Beyound Myst' took place in 2003. MOUL took place in 2007 and then everyone left the cavern because they where affaird a group of 'rogue' Barho(intellgent linking cretures) where going to attack. The returned in 2010(MOULa) since they discoved that the group of 'rogue' Bahro are being kept at bay.

-----
Which shard is the best?
-----
I don't think any shard is 'the best' since they all have advantages and disanatages, I would stick with MOULa(the main shard) for now, since they are the most people here. Then when your confitabel with how things work try anouther shard(i.e Gehn).

Want to know what's been happening in MOULa, check it out here: http://heritagenight.wordpress.com/archive/.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm 

Each version has its own advantages and disadvantages, I believe they are both worth exploring.
Patches where made by the fans to add additions to Uru CC, which is a good place to start if you want some inspiration and wanna try your hand age creating you own ages with Max or Blender, and presently fans are working on adding some of those ages to MOULa.

Originally I believe Myst V was built to be additions to Uru Live which may explain the confusing references. I think Uru Live and the additional Myst V ages was like the last chapter of the Myst Saga.

There are Two types of Shard that I know of, the old game engine and the new Open Source game engine, the older one has been out far longer then Open Source and has most of the bugs worked out of it, plus the addition of over 100 downloadable fan made ages and a few extra Relto ranging from the very elaborate to the very simple. the new Open source shards is still a work in progress but definitely worth checking out, so the best one to visit in this case is opinion. some like to chat and hang out with friend new and old, and they usually like the one with the highest population, others are interested the actual game engine and working on the Bleeding edge of technology, explorers may want a shard with the most additional content. I geuss it depends on what you are looking for

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah, D.A. McCoy and welcome to the Uru community.

I believe the events of Myst V took place sometime during MOUL of 2007-08. As Karkadann noted, the content was intended for Uru so there is some crossover in the storylines.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Don't Read This Until You've Completed Myst V
Returning the tablet to the Bahro released them and gave them free will which started the Bahro war between the good and the bad.

We didn't leave the cavern because of the Bahro War, but it was the catalyst for Dr. Watson to encourage explorers to begin writing new ages in hopes of finding an answer to ending the war. We left the cavern because the financial backer, Cate Alexander left us without funding.

Others can speak to the quantity and/or quality of new content on the various shards, but I would recommend the Gehn shard just for its ease of access. Gehn Shard Information

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
We didn't leave the cavern because of the Bahro War, but it was the catalyst for Dr. Watson to encourage explorers to begin writing new ages in hopes of finding an answer to ending the war. We left the cavern because the financial backer, Cate Alexander left us without funding.

Thank you for correcting me on that :). I got that mixed up for seome reason.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Well, you might be partly right; it could be an indirect cause if it was the reason that she left us. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm 

Thanks for the responses everyone! You've cleared up a lot of my questions!

Regarding the different shards:
Based on my playing style and the fact that I'll be completing Uru: Complete Chronicles soon, I'm placing "New Ages, including fan made ones" at the top of my "want" list. I've heard of a bunch of shards at this point (Minkata Shard, Gehn Shard, Deep Island Shard, etc.) but most of the shards' websites are forums on the guild of writers site that are hard to understand for beginners. Is there a list of the number of ages for each shard, so that I can compare and find the one that's right for me?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 pm 

Hi!

You can visit these links for the shards:

Deep Island (125 to 130 fan ages**): http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=4611
Gehn (3 fan ages): http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=5540

For these 2 shards above, you absolutely need to create a GoW's forum board account. Your ID & password are your login credentials for both shards.

TOC MOUL (4 fan ages): http://the-open-cave.net/index.php/en/how-to-play

Minkata Testing Shard: http://foundry.openuru.org/forms/
I wouldn't recommend this shard for your need since it's solely for testing new features that will migrate to MOULa eventually. Since there's nothing in the pipeline these days, it's not worth for now.

------------
**: The count can only be approximative because some ages are hidden inside others so you cannot really know unless you survey them all and also some might see Elodea as being 1 age where others will see 4 ages for example...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Shorah, D.A. McCoy and welcome to the Uru community.

I believe the events of Myst V took place sometime during MOUL of 2007-08. As Karkadann noted, the content was intended for Uru so there is some crossover in the storylines.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Don't Read This Until You've Completed Myst V
Returning the tablet to the Bahro released them and gave them free will which started the Bahro war between the good and the bad.

Others can speak to the quantity and/or quality of new content on the various shards, but I would recommend the Gehn shard just for its ease of access. Gehn Shard Information

Two things

1. The events of Myst V take place in 2005, the year the game was released.
2. During the downtime between the two restorations, the cavern wasn't empty of explorers. While the DRC and Cate may have pulled out, many explorers stayed behind learning how to write ages, as well as picking up the reigns so to speak as far as restoring D'ni ages and areas. This was made clear when the cavern was repopened in 2010. While the DRC may not have been around, some explorers were still down there learning the art and more about D'ni etc.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Welcome D.A. McCoy.

----
Does the Cyan version of Myst Online offer a lot of new experiences to the single player Uru?
----
There are several new ages to explorer. But the big diffrence is you are not limmited to explorer alone. Also the age Ahnona(or however it's 'really' spelt) was desinged to need a 'buddy' to completly solve it. It was modified for 'Path Of The Shell' and changed back to it's original design in MOUL.
<snip>

Actually, Ahnonay is not in its original form in MO:UL - we don't know what the original /is/ but RAWA said years ago that neither the Path of The Shell version, nor the MO:UL version were the original plan for Ahnonay. There was apparently a bit more you had to do to get to the end, if I remember RAWA's post correctly - but they decided not to do that, "because [we'd] seen the payoff already". =)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 pm 

Also, the whole bit with who was behind Ahnonay was going to be different.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]