It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 pm 

So about a week ago, I installed MOUL on my new computer and came back to the cavern for the first time in, I think, a few years now. I was a little surprised to find people still around, even late at night. I was also a little surprised that no one seemed to be doing anything. I've been back a few times since then, and it seems that the primary way of spending time now is standing around chatting. I started thinking about all the things we used to do between episodes of the ongoing story, and I am curious to know if people are still doing any of these things--and if so, can I join in? Here's a brief list of some of the things I remember:

1. Custom Marker Missions. Once you're calibrated, you can put Markers anywhere you can get to, and then share the missions. You can even give each Marker a custom name which shows up when collected. Sometimes Marker missions have themes, sometimes they are all in one Age, and sometimes there are dozens to find all spread out over the wide world of Uru. Do people still do this?

2. Jalak Games. The primary purpose of Jalak is for explorers to invent multiplayer games to play against each other involving logic or athletics or both. I remember we used to come up with TONS of new ideas for games to play on Jalak. There was even a website for uploading rule sets along with maps for game layouts, etc. I'd post a link here but I just checked and the site is "down for maintenace"--I think it's actually defunct. Is anybody still doing stuff like this? Or, if not...does anyone want to?

3. Player-made Stories. Back when Cyan was still dishing out monthly (okay, ALMOST-monthly) story, Uru was really more about role-playing than anything else. True, the role you played was supposed to be yourself, but the point was that you were participating in a realtime dramatic story that felt real. In between episodes, players would often invent their own interactive stories for others to participate in. These stories were told through chat and through interaction with the game world. Sometimes they could even include Marker Missions, Jalak games, or other ways to interact. Some of them were terrible, but some were a lot of fun. Nowadays it seems like no one even bothers to pretend the game is real, much less come up with new stories. Am I wrong? Are people still actively doing this? If so, who are they?

4. Ahyoheek. Okay, it's not great as a long-term game, but as a time-filling minigame, a few rounds of 'Heek with other players can be kind of fun. I haven't seen a table in use since the "Good Old Days". Have I just been missing it?

5. Shared Exploratrion. We used to get bored after a while, just chatting in a hood or in the cavern. So we'd make use of the Age-sharing functionality of the game to all go play around on Ahnonay, or have a Marker-Mission-based race on Teledahn, or do our best to map out portions of Minkata. Sometimes we'd go animal watching in the pods, or just go to an Age we'd all been to plenty of times before and look for things we hadn't noticed. I have absolutely no idea if anyone is still doing this, because private Ages are only available to other players on invitation. I know I haven't seen anyone inviting anyone else, though.

Just wondering if these are things are still done, and I just don't happen to see it. Or is the newest crowd of explorers just uninterested in anything beyond chat once they've solved all the puzzles?

P.S. For anyone who knew me before, you might have noticed I know have a middle initial on these forums, and have only 1 post. That's because I've lost my old passwords--to both my old account AND the email account it was linked to. That's how long it's been. So I started a new account, but I promise, it's me. Verify it with me in-game if you want. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome back :D

All of your remembrances continue just a little less frequently than before. We have fewer new players but at least once a week I help a newcomer with an Age often with a large group of helpers.
Player created games are regularly shared and quite a few are now stored on the Bots so you don't even need to know the creator to receive their game.
Ahyoheek tournaments are rare but every few months I get ask to join into a game.
A Jalak invitation is also a once every month or three event.
There are a few hardy souls trying to keep alive Player Made Stories. We still do get regular Heritage Nights and musical "concerts".
It really depends on when you log on as too what activities are occurring. Check the Events section of this forum for exact timings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:31 pm 

What you said is very true Carl.
I miss the good old days.
I very seldom see people do marker games anymore.
I was always amazed to see Annabelle and others up in the air.
I have learned a lot by doing the marker games, and I still play them.
It just isn't like it used to be. :cry:

But, time is passing and it is to be expected.

-Nicoleleigh-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 am 

Was good to meet you . I like to do marker missions, but I am not good at ones that involve too much jumping..old knees..lol.
I have several adventures that I have transcribed and are here under Creativity. I am in the midst of transcribing my latest adventure, Into The Deep, but am finding some difficulty with it...explanations will be in the transcripts.
I like playing sardines in the city..reverse hide and seek...but few like to do that it seems.
I love playing mystery guest....we
I love Cleft races...fresh avi....ready set go////race ya sometime!!lol
...see you around.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 am 

I'm sure HenryMikel knows a lot more than I on what's going in the Cavern, I won't contradict him.

I'm sure, like he said, that there are a lot of Marker Games still being made or played. From what I recall from Carl in the past, he wouldn't be the guy to enjoy my games but I can tell you there are many genres of marker games to appeal every tastes. :).

Quote:
I was always amazed to see Annabelle and others up in the air.
I have learned a lot by doing the marker games, and I still play them.
It just isn't like it used to be. :cry:

So sorry Nicole... I made a lot of quests, I was there on an almost daily basis, there were several skydivers online each and everyday but (as you said)... the time passed on. We would nourish each other with our discoveries and pursue collective goals. The main obstacle is the game itself, it is finite (30 or so ages). Apart some ages, I covered everything humanly possible in the skydiving branch with my numerous quests. I cannot re-invent the wheel. (I hope that's understandable in english)

I still have ideas, i still have projects, but something is broken... I wasn't loggin there just to do markers, I was loggin in MOULa for the people as well. After few nights loggin in and being all alone, completely alone, I decided to move on. I still have awesome projects to share with this community, I'm not moving away though, just transforming myself like a butterfly :wink:

----

But let's keep thinking positively instead. Carl is back from the graves like many in the past few weeks/months. That's nice! Welcome back!

There's a wave coming... new or renewed fan ages. It's something that I call progress. It might not be MOULa-related but definitely URU-related. Maybe Cyan will one day open up the vans to let some fan ages make their way to this shard, everyone hopes that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 am 

Welcome back Carl!

I feel like there are still plenty of people around who are interested in these activities. Problem is, everyone links into the City, sees a few players standing by the map, chatting and not doing anything else so they leave again. I do it.

I love a good marker game or a good game of sardines, but we are so spread out now it's hard to get a group big enough to do these activities.

Not sure what the solution is. What if we had a set day/time each week for sharing new marker games or for other fun? Saturdays work well for AGM. What if we used the same time on the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of each month?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps the main issue is that ‘old-timers’ use Ae’gura as a meter of the community’s population and activities, while most people likely hang around Magic Ages.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm 

Carl U Palmner wrote:
/... / Just wondering if these are things are still done, and I just don't happen
to see it. Or is the newest crowd of explorers just uninterested in anything beyond
chat once they've solved all the puzzles? /... /

Nice to have met you last night, Carl. And if you are a part or an increasing trend, that of
some former explorers returning to the cavern again, then it's most welcome!

But if we strictly look at the numbers, we have some 3000 unique users logging into MOULa every
month. That of course fluctuates a bit, but in general it's there abouts... But it's very difficult to
know their whereabouts, what they do or when and where...

We have several weekly events held in the Hoods and other places. And there are a few ambitious
souls that stage Public Events every now and then... And we've had even people from Cyan visiting
us at such occasions!

But yes, to get something going "on-the-spot" is a lot harder these days, like a Door Run or just
a game of any sorts, in the City or elsewhere. Maybe we've got less playful lately... or just hang
around waiting for something to happen... Btw. you are aware of the Bots?

But there can be spontaneous things just happening, like a few nights ago the Movie Title Battle.
And we've had "lyrics reciting" on the Map. And sometimes we had Door Run Races...

But it always is down to who's around and who's willing to "play". It changes very much during times
of the day or what day of week it is. And who ever is trying to "get people going" has sometimes
to try very hard...

But anybody willing to make an effort and "breath some new life" into the cavern are most welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome back, Carl! I myself have recently returned =P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm 

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
But there can be spontaneous things just happening, like a few nights ago the Movie Title Battle.
And we've had "lyrics reciting" on the Map. And sometimes we had Door Run Races...

I wouldn't have described it as a battle, just something that happened because three or four people with a sense of humour were feeling chatty.

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
But it always is down to who's around and who's willing to "play". It changes very much during times
of the day or what day of week it is. And who ever is trying to "get people going" has sometimes
to try very hard...

But anybody willing to make an effort and "breath some new life" into the cavern are most welcome!

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 pm 

Regarding the idea of a new wave of old-timers coming back--sounds good to me! I'd love to see some of my old friends again. I never see anyone I was friends with back in the Gametap days.

Regarding the Magic Ages: Ummm...what are those?

Regarding the Bots: I know a little about them, and I got the KI#'s for two of them last night. I already had Magicbot's. I can't really remember what all they do, though.

Regarding lack of activities: I actually had a lot of fun the other night. It started out as an AeGura chat but I ended up going to Er'Canna with some folks and learning how to get across the chasm, and playing some of a custom Marker game involving riddles.

BTW: Are the Grey Hats still around? I think that's the name they used. They were essentially benevolent hackers who could make crazy things happen in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm 

What is a Bot? I thought it was something you didn't want belonging or joining the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bots are robots that have the chracteristics of an avatar (KI number, appear on screen as a humanoid figure) but are in fact scripted to be able to interpret suitably formatted commands to allow you to perform unusual manipulations of the game environment.

Magic Ages are ages that are made available by linking to MagicBot or MimiBot, and usually have two or more ages mixed together in a creative and interesting way, offering their own set of challenges, special commands and interesting sights. There is often at least one marker game or challenge associated with each age.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm 

What AlanD said...

These Bots functions and compatibility has been thoroughly tested in cooperation with Cyan!
And Cyan have approved to let them be in the game with some restrictions. That they never
make any changes to any of the Public Areas. It's a mutual agreement! And that has so far
never been withdrawn or questioned by Cyan or most of us explorers.

"Magic Ages" are the Ages Cyan has allowed the programmers (of the Bots) to make changes to.
There are no Links in Nexus to them! You can only get to those by a PM to the Bot, who'll Link
you there by a command! Thus these areas are regarded as Non Public Areas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
KayM wrote:
What is a Bot? I thought it was something you didn't want belonging or joining the game.
The bots we don't want are the ones that try to join the forums for the sole purpose of posting spam.
The bots in game are operated by fans, strictly for fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next