It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The DRC Site
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I have been working on a little Uru history project and every day that I work on it, I come across at least a dozen links to the DRC forums. Right now, those are all dead links. It's not only frustrating, but sad and heartbreaking to think we may have lost a good chunk of our community's history.

On Jul 09, 2014, Hannah posted in the Announcements section: DRC Site Down
Hannah wrote:
As some of you are aware, the DRC site is currently offline. Once we resolve some issues related to the recent web outages mentioned here, we hope to put it back up within the next 48 hours.
That was more than two months ago. I'm tempted to steal a page from vid's book and begin posting every day, "Are the DRC forums back, yet?" ;) Instead, I'll try to ask nicely:

Cyan, I know you've been super busy developing a new game (which looks awesome, btw), but you recently indicated that there might soon be new content by community members added to MOULa. When that happens, I would like to see those content creators be able to post about their contributions in an IC manner. Now, I know I could read their blogs, but it would be nice if they had a central place to post (even it if was just a link back to their blog post) and we could discuss the new content, ICly.

Yes, I know the DRC forums were changed to read only, but in Chogon's announcement about the DRC Site forum change back in July 2012, he indicated that maybe an Explorers group could be added to allow us to post again.
Chogon wrote:
If regular members want to use the DRC Site forum for discussions or there is any DRC activity then we can add something like the Explorers usergroup on the DRC site.
Many people posted to that thread that they would like to have that option.

If, however, you determine that this is just not feasible, then my alternate request is that you just bring them back even if they're read-only so that we can at least have them for reference. And, if maintaining them online has just become too much trouble, then at least host them long enough for us to get all the pages archived in the Wayback Machine. Please. We've already lost too much of our community's history and I just can't bear the thought of losing the DRC forums, too.

If anyone else feels the same way, please add your voice here.

Post subject: Re: The DRC Site
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:26 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Hear, hear!

I'm wondering if Cate Alexander is still playing her dirty tricks. Send a Bahro after her! Or maybe vice versa.

vid had to wait only four hundred and eighty-eight days... We must be at least seven hundred and thirty since July 2012. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

In case you are interested, I have the old (and soon to do the same with the newer) DRC site archived here: http://dniexplorer.com/archive/sites/drc-old/

Some of the urls and pages are broken at the moment as I've not had time to correct their paths (hooray for RL). But for the most part it is there. I shall be adding the past DRC updates to that front page some point soon too.

I also have an archive of the DRC section of the DRC forum which will eventually turn up on Beneath. It'll be static HTML format though.

The DRC site (and Cho) is MarkD's area and he is rather busy dealing with other stuff at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
If, however, you determine that this is just not feasible, then my alternate request is that you just bring them back even if they're read-only so that we can at least have them for reference. And, if maintaining them online has just become too much trouble, then at least host them long enough for us to get all the pages archived in the Wayback Machine. Please. We've already lost too much of our community's history and I just can't bear the thought of losing the DRC forums, too.

Agreed with above.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
In case you are interested, I have the old (and soon to do the same with the newer) DRC site archived here: http://dniexplorer.com/archive/sites/drc-old/

Some of the urls and pages are broken at the moment as I've not had time to correct their paths (hooray for RL). But for the most part it is there. I shall be adding the past DRC updates to that front page some point soon too.

I also have an archive of the DRC section of the DRC forum which will eventually turn up on Beneath. It'll be static HTML format though.

The DRC site (and Cho) is MarkD's area and he is rather busy dealing with other stuff at the moment.

That's great! Thanks for archiving it. I've used the Wayback Machine, but I have never seen the 2006 era site before now. BTW, do you know what "Open+" means on the Ages page?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:55 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

As I understand it, there's something kinda funky going on with the DNS in relation to the DRC Site, which is why it hasn't reappeared yet. Every time Smapty turns the DRC site back on, the rest of the Cyan sites start suffering those "502 - Bad gateway" errors, so it'll probably stay offline until the reason for that gets figured out. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some way related to putting the main sites behind the CloudFlare proxies to improve service and availability on those.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

We have one of the most intelligent communities on the internet; maybe someone will be able to help Cyan fix this issue. *fingers crossed*

Tweek wrote:
I also have an archive of the DRC section of the DRC forum which will eventually turn up on Beneath.
Tweek, I'm very aware of your treasure trove; Beneath is on my short list of the best sources for historical Uru information. And, I greatly appreciate its existence and the amount of work you've put into the collection. But, my project is about more than just the DRC; the focus is on the community and its impact on Uru. I need the posts made by explorers. For example, when I read Carl Palmer's story about a conversation with Gondar in which they realize that Gondar's theory is right, I want to track down IC posts by Gondar to back up the story.

But, again, thank you for the comprehensive amount of information you have collected. It's an invaluable resource and I expect to use the site frequently in my research.

Tweek wrote:
And, I'm guessing part of the "other stuff" is one of the reasons I'm anxious to have an IC forum. Ironic, huh? ;)

It was a laugh and cry moment when I read the last question & answer of the FAQ for The Third Path:
Quote:
Can we have forums?
    No we can’t Steve, stop asking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

It would be a shame if we had to organize a sit-in to get the forums back.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Yanno, Marten, that sounds... awfully familiar >.> Didn't we have to do that once before? =P

Once more with Feeling?

Also... Before I forget.

Are there DRC Forums Yet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
We have one of the most intelligent communities on the internet;
That counts me out then. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
If/when the old DRC site comes back, will there be a long (as in 5 years) overdue update?

Let's see, the last I heard, Dr. Watson is currently residing in Hawaii, Victor Laxman (wherever he may be) is keeping an eye on things by remote control, but I'm not sure about the rest. Oh, and Phil Henderson is still missing.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I've posted an announcement about the DRC site here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for the update, Hannah.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gotta keep dropping those pellets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:48 pm 

And thank you especially for keeping the site, rather than letting it go. We've lost a lot of history in old sites that went away without an opportunity to archive. Memory being what it is... I miss the old forums, and appreciate the time you're taking to fix the DRC site.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next