It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Item in GoMe Workflow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:11 am 

Sorry to reach out to the community about this one, but the Messengers have an item sitting in our workflow waiting for approval. The item below was submitted about a week ago, but no contact info was left, and frankly I don't feel I should have to register on a forum to obtain more info.

That being said, the creators of this website seem intent on recreating the old forum where many of our current "restored" guilds originated. I'm unsure if I should publish this on the GoMe website, as many guilds/groups already maintain their own forums and it seems redundant. (And GoMe itself has offered to host space on our website/forums for other groups via our Affiliates tab...Although I think only GoArc utilized this feature for a very short while in the past.)

Anys, more insight/information on this one would be appreciated either as a forum post or PM.

Shorah!!!
-Nev

Submitted by an Explorer on August 29, 2014
The D’ni Guild Hall website was built several years ago, but has been waiting for the right time to begin operations. Its Caretaker believes the time is right.

DniGuildHall.org is a website meant to be built by explorers of the actual D'ni Cavern. The basic structure exists for them, like a building with satellite guild offices or embassies all under one roof, ready for them to paint, furnish and occupy it. Its mission is to enable guilds, groups, and explorers to form a cooperative outreach and provide community perspective and knowledge.

Any guild, group or explorer, old or new, serious or casual, may apply for a subdomain with FTP access to build one or more web pages so long as they represent non-commercial explorers of the D'ni ages and have a benevolent community purpose. It is free. It can serve as an individual’s or group’s only website, or it can be simply a one-page introduction to a guild - who they are, what they offer, and where to find their main website. In addition to these individual pages, the site also needs a good home page to welcome visitors. The site is the community’s to build.

Inquiries are welcome in the Lobby.

More information about this story:
http://forums.dniguildhall.org/viewforum.php?f=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Nev'yn wrote:
I don't feel I should have to register on a forum to obtain more info.
Looks like you won’t have to: Q&A section

Nev'yn wrote:
the old forum where many of our current "restored" guilds originated.
Do you mean the DRC site? If so, then, that’s a good thing. If it’s something else, then please share a link with me for my project on the history of the community. :)

Nev'yn wrote:
many guilds/groups already maintain their own forums and it seems redundant.
If I understand its purpose correctly, then I would disagree. It appears the intention is to bring information about all the guilds and groups into one place – like an expansive directory with a place to discuss. It looks IC – do we currently have an IC forum?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Looks like a pile of nonsense to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:41 pm 

@Tai: Here's the link to the thread regarding the site I was refering to:
viewtopic.php?t=25713

As mentioned there, not much info to be gained, although many chat logs on the formation of various guilds mention discussions that happened there. Can't give you better specifics, if it didn't involve GoMe, I mostly skimmed over stuff. As I recall from my researches, such chatlogs were mainly about GoMe and GoMe, while GoW stuff was sometimes mentioned but seemed to be taking place elsewhere. GoG was not really mentioned much at all (Already in existance?), nor was GoC. I have seen chats about minor guilds too, like GoCat, GoArch, and GoFA, but gain didn't keep records of that research.

@Mods: Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

I find it weird the lengths the owner is going to be anonymous. Caretaker? It makes me wary of the whole thing from the start. Speak up whoever you are!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I apologize in advance that this is not going to be a supportive message.

Back in 2007, there was a site that I believe was similar to what D'ni Guild Hall promises to be. It was called the Assembly of Guilds.

A service like the D'ni Guild Hall describes itself may seem useful at first, especially to small groups that may be limited on resources and skills. It's free. You don't have to set up your own website or know much about administering forums. It provides an easy base of operations and communication. And the Guilds that already have websites can still set up a pointer on the "hub" guild site, so it provides some organizational structure. What's not to like, right?

The problem is, that any group that expects to have any sort of longevity in our community will always want their own site, under their own control. No-one wants to wake up one day and discover that the free site you were using, with no warranty or promise of service, has gone away or has made a decision that you disagree with. And no matter the good intentions of the site host, that is always a possibility. For a site like this to succeed, there has to be a lot of trust that the site won't shut down and leave you without an archive of your history, and that there won't be moderation headaches or disagreements over what content you're allowed to host on the site.

For me to believe a site like this has a chance at succeeding, I would need certainty that the operator would not give up at it without warning, and would make a good faith effort to run the site in a neutral and respectful manner for all parties who participate. Having the site hosted by an anonymous Caretaker offers no such assurances.

There were a number of small groups that used space on the Assembly of Guilds website. All that history, all of their forum discussions, have been lost to my knowledge. All that exists on archive.org is a single page that says the site is unavailable. This community has been burned before; those of us who remember, are wary.

It seems like every now and then, someone pops up who believes they're the first person to think of building a site like this, and it's so clear that they haven't looked to see who might've tried the idea before, and it sure seems like they're doomed to make the same mistakes. Can you believe we had this same discussion within a few months of AoG closing?.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

If anything, the fact that sites fail is all the more reason to embrace new ones so that we're not putting all of our eggs in one basket. Hopefully, we've learned by now to post important information in more than one place and utilize the Wayback Machine to ensure it's everlasting. I just stumbled across a chatlog from the Wheely & Rose event on the Uru RealLife Community forum that I can't find posted on this forum. I believe it was posted to the Uru Obsession forum with just a link to it from here. And, now UO is gone. But, the chatlog survives because it was in more than one place.

Marten wrote:
It seems like every now and then, someone pops up who believes they're the first person to think of building a site like this
Like Nek'rahm's idea to start One Uru Forum, but was talked out of doing in a GoWriters thread. That was in March 2008 and it appears that the UAoG failed in late 2007 or early 2008. Imagine if the One Uru Forum site had been made available while the information was still accessible on the UAoG site - maybe some of the information could have been salvaged.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm 

While I'm all for promoting new sites, the unusual thing with this one was that it was ONLY posted to our site. I have not been able to find any mention of this on any other Myst/URU related site that I'm aware of, nor do I know who exactly runs this particular site (as pointed out by OHB earlier).

When we approve news posts, we usually do a bit of digging to make sure things are legit, which usually involves checking the more official forums such as this one. Other than the the anonymous post to our workflow and the rather empty forum it linked to, there was no other information on this.

We shall see if the person or persons in question will break their silence, come forward, and introduce themselves. Then we can talk about properly promoting their site, regardless of its purpose (as long as it's not malicious, of course).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
I find it weird the lengths the owner is going to be anonymous. Caretaker? It makes me wary of the whole thing from the start. Speak up whoever you are!

Yes it is very strange. Something similar happened in 2011 when several prominent community members tried to expand the ranks of a project they had going on at the time. They did so anonymously with about the same reaction "Um...who are you and why should we listen to you?" because they tried to do so anonymously.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

considering the... controversial nature of the project in question - those people felt it was warranted =P

This isn't particularly controversial.. so why is the person hiding?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Probably because it's IC and if we knew who was behind it, it might color our impression of the character.

I know I was disappointed when Blade and Eleri came out as being J.D. Barnes and Echo MacKenzie. Even though I had suspected it was them, it was still an immersive experience because they never broke character or even hinted that they were behind them. I can still say that I thought they both did a great job with the characters and I enjoyed interacting with them at the time, but finding out definitively removed some of the magic.

Between Ghaelen, Ruby, Ktahdn and others in their circle, there are so many characters that I can't keep track of who's playing who and I'm fine with that because I don't want my impression of the character to be colored by what I know of the person behind it. I like those people and encourage their creativity, but leave the curtain in place for me, please.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 am 
Obduction Backer

a forum hosting site is not IC - that's absurd. and if it is - it /shouldn't/ be. Making your running of that an IC thing is a sure way to fail. As you can see - no one particularly trusts this individual - and trust is how projects like that succeed - and if we don't know who the bloody fiery abyss you /are/ - why should you be trusted to continue to host said forums and not just vanish?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]