It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hi all

First I would like to thank whoever accepted me, to be able to join the Explorers :3. Thank you. I am fairly new here (I just started lol). I have played the game some and got my Ki. But now it is very lonely, and I do no know what to do. I think the game is beautiful and I look forward to being able to meet many of you :). I tried to log in not too long ago....and it seems it is not working. Too bad it's down right now. I read on another area of the forum that some other people were having trouble connecting as well.

Anywho here's to learning more!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome Chunguri :) Yes, the servers are down, hopefully not for too long. How far have you got in the game? Have you played Uru before, as a standalone game, or is it all new?

We are generally wary of giving out spoilers, but if you want some help then there are usually folks on the city plaza. Make sure you go to the city through your nexus... if you use the book on your shelf you will go to a private instance and there will be nobody else there...

There are usually some Greeters floating about somewhere: you could try the Guild of Greeters neighbourhood. I don't think it is always manned these days though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah Chunguri and welcome to the community! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 pm 

=D TY

AlanD wrote:
Welcome Chunguri :) How far have you got in the game? Have you played Uru before, as a standalone game, or is it all new?

I have gotten as far as to explore some of the worlds in the books from the area that has the classroom in it. I believe it's Bevin. I haven't collected any items though . Only the Ki that they instruct you how to get. But, no, I have never played any of the games...I've heard of the franchise though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Unfortunately, it may be awhile before you are able to resume your explorations.
Chogon wrote:
MOULa might be out until next week. Sorry.
viewtopic.php?p=410987#p410987

In the meantime, if you're interested in reading up on the history of the cavern, I would recommend the following:

vidkid's RECAP: The Restoration So Far... (1987 to May 2007)

The Heritage Documents, Volume 1: Memoirs by Carl Palmner, DimensionTravelerCalum, Malphok (documents the cavern from Prologue to Exodus)

There's lots more, but those will keep you busy for a little while. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 am 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
Welcome Chunguri :) Yes, the servers are down, hopefully not for too long. How far have you got in the game? Have you played Uru before, as a standalone game, or is it all new?

We are generally wary of giving out spoilers, but if you want some help then there are usually folks on the city plaza. Make sure you go to the city through your nexus... if you use the book on your shelf you will go to a private instance and there will be nobody else there...

There are usually some Greeters floating about somewhere: you could try the Guild of Greeters neighbourhood. I don't think it is always manned these days though.

Shorah and welcome Chungiri :)

When AlanD mentioned using the book on your Relto bookshelf, he was referring to the brown one, which has a linking page to Ae'gura (the city). This page is added to your brown book after you visit your neighborhood (the place with the classroom) and use the linking *stone* in the book room there.

There is also a yellow book on your Relto bookshelf which links you directly to the Nexus. All the City/Ae'gura links in the Nexus will take you to a public instance, where you can meet new friends. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Apologies, Chunguri, I should have explained that more clearly. There are several places you can find guides to MOUL play, but the Guild of Greeters site is probably a good place to start.

They have a FAQ section http://www.guildofgreeters.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=38

and the Guide to Linking Books in that section does give a good grounding in what each book does and how to use it.

On your bookshelf, the first book on the top shelf is your Neighbourhood book, which you used to get your KI. Your neighbourhood has about 20 members to begin with, assigned as they join the game, so your initial neighbours are random. You can join another Neighbourhood, invite others to join your neighbourhood or make a new neighbourhood entirely and invite people to join it - but that's for later :) Neighbourhoods are often called Bevins, so much so that it is an interchangable name (although it isn't entirely correct to call them Bevins, but almost everyone does...)

The next one along is your Nexus book and takes you to your own Nexus, from where you can get to many other places, both public (where you will find other people) and private.

The third one along, fat, with a brown spine that has a spiral hand sign on it, is the Ae'gura book, which links to various locations in the city. The first location is the tunnel under the big stalagmite (which some people call the tree) on the plaza. But the city that you get to via this book is a private instance, you will never find anyone else there. This can be very confusing to start with. You can get a copy of this book by touching the Bahro stone on the pedastel that overlooks the watercourse in your Neighbourhood's book room.

If you don't want to use the Guild of Greeters site (and there are inevitably a few spoilers there if you are not careful) here is a picture of a full MOULa bookcase :)

Last edited by AlanD on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Ae’gura from the Book in Relto is a Hood instance, not a private one. It can’t be shared with non-members.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

Welcome to the Cavern. I will watch for you and will be happy to assist you however needed.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:06 am 

korovev wrote:
The Ae’gura from the Book in Relto is a Hood instance, not a private one. It can’t be shared with non-members.

It cannot be shared at all in fact :wink:

There are 3 non-shareable books in your bookshelf: the Nexus, the Brown Hood Book, & the Cleft Book.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:09 am 

Thanks for the info Tai'lahr.

That kinda sux to know - but I'm glad I know!

Plus I got this lil thing to read now! I will go for it!

I had to look up "shorah" cause so many people were saying it to me. But, SHORAH! Now I know :).

I got a lot to take in. But I will take iit~ slow. Thank you for the info everybody! It's nice of you :3.

My name in the game is Shayde.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:16 am 

Shorah, Chunguri.

I wanted to say hello, and welcome. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 pm 

Welcome to Uru Chunguri! The resources that have been suggested in this thread are excellent places to learn more about the game. Might I also recommend this YouTube video, as the original intro cinematic to the game has been removed for technical reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1vD8JhJxM

Hope you enjoy your time in Uru (you know, once the servers come back up and all :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm 

Hi Anora! Thank you for the welcome!

Ah, yes I've seen that cinematic opening. So vague, eh? Interesting tho!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:54 pm 

I wish Cyan would restore that intro in some new video format other than Bink - something that can be used in an 'open-source' game. This baffling screen where there used to be a video is pretty much the first thing new players see in Uru and that is kind of discouraging.

Heek, they could even, if they were determined to, do what I did to implement 'video' in Unity Indie, namely convert the video clip into a string of small compressed texture images swapped out with code at 30 fps, with audio started at the same time as the image sequence.

This would allow Cyan to include a bit of video using just the filetypes they are already using anyway.

But restoring the intro is only one of a thousand things that need improvement in Uru, and without funding it looks like things will continue to stagnate, or deteriorate.

Uru is stuck in a vicious circle of sorts - but I'm hoping we can change that fairly soon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next