It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm 

Following the example set by Chunguri . . .

Shorah,

I also appreciate being enabled. Had been lurking for a while reading various threads and then realized I hadn't asked to join the Explorer group. I've been around MYST for a very long time, starting with the original MYST for MS-DOS and Win 3.1 and continuing with the Win95 Riven, and then MYST III, IV and V. Bought Uru ABM when it was first released between III and IV. Was very taken by the free-roaming avatar and the stunning graphics in an immersive 3-D environment. Installed the "To D'ni" download when it came out, and then the Path of the Shell expansion when it was released (which included "To D'ni"). At some point I acquired an original release of realMYST. Been able to get realMYST, Riven, MYST III, IV and V along with Uru POTS up and running "natively" on a Win7 Pro /x64 platform. realMYST and Riven were the problematic ones.

Much to my very pleasant surprise a couple weeks ago, I discovered Uru Live had been resurrected (in 2010 ?) while finally starting to migrate the last PC I have running WinXP /x64 to Win7 /x64. Stumbled into MOULa as I was using Google find out what (if any) issues there are in installing the off-line Uru POTS in 64-bit Win7. Installed MOULa and started it up to finally experience Uru on-line, not having had the opportunity to do so in its first incarnation, and here I am. Because I'd played Uru POTS numerous times, it didn't take long to do the MOULa equivalent. There were a few unexpected twists as the two have some differences (in retrospect they make sense).

MOULa is marvelous compared to the off-line Uru POTS. It's truly alive with other explorers doing things in the common areas and much more content: four additional ages, the museum pods, the Bevin "beetle, pen, book" game, sparklies, more Yeesha Relto pages, and substantially more extensive GZ marker searches. I know the city now much better than I ever had before (a benefit of doing all the GZ marker runs). Wishing I had known Cyan had put it back on line several years ago! Been looking at the several guilds and finding myself increasingly drawn toward the Guild of Sleepers.

Waiting now for the server to come back on line. I can appreciate the technical challenges given the era in which MOUL was first created and what that could require to run it on a server.

John

PS
Suggest an Intro section for new people to introduce themselves (most BBSs have them)

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm 

Hello!

I think an introduction section for the forums is a pretty good idea. I've been around MOULa off and on for the last ten months. With the exception of one bad experience playing Myst on Nintendo DS (the game would freeze in the same spot everytime), MOULa has essentially been my entire Myst experience. I've loved every minute of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:02 am 

Shorah All,

With the MOULa server down it has given me time to join the forums and read about all the good things coming our way. :P
A little about my past. I started playing Myst in 1995 and was hooked, then Riven in 97, Myst III Exile in 01, URU Ages Beyond Myst in 03, URU CC in 04, Myst IV Revelation in 04 and finished with Myst V End of Ages in 05. I never got the opportunity to play URU online and by the time I found out about it it was gone. I didn't want to get involved with Game Tap so my hopes of ever playing Myst again were gone. A few months ago I found an app for my iPad. It was Riven for iPad so I played it. Oh how that got my fires burning again to play, so I started looking online and found URU Live MOULa. It is truly wonderful to be back in the cavern, and now with friends!! I look forward to meeting you all!

John S Florida USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah and welcome to the community, Johnny. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 pm 

Shorah - welcome to the Cavern both of you - jalind and JohnnyS. With the current brouhaha underway - I think the renegade Bahro may have something to do with it - it will be fun getting back in the Cavern for all of us. New avatars and new everything. Don't forget to /wavehello once we are back in. So many new faces..... :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]