It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm 

Mister Magic wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you can interest your friends in starting on some alternative shard in the meanwhile, so they can at least make their first steps there and have their first impressions of the Uru worlds. The Open Cave is, unfortunately, down these days as well, but the Gehn Shard and the Deep Island are working fine.
Advise a novice to attend a shard does not seem like a good solution. Why?

The shards alter the original game and allow travel other than Moula.
When the player will return to Moula it will, in my opinion, baffled and will not locate himself.
This is like a novice who would start the game with the Magic Worlds of Magicbot. It would disturb him a lot.

OK, I agree with MM, a Shard is not a good place for beginners. It is best if they wait until MOULA comes back up. It really won't take that long in the greater scheme of things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I think it would be okay for newcomers to use the Minkata shard (other than a few extra clothing items which were being tested, it's just like MOULa). There's information on how to get set up in the Minkata Shard Testers Guide (in laymen's terms) thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Keep in mind though that to get a shard working you need to have a workable download of the game files from MOULa first. I think you can still manage to get that even though the MOULa database is down, since the client does all the download and patching before trying to log in.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm 

Oh the tangled web!!lol

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:19 pm 

Chogon says soon.... *smile* <---big, big smile, folks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 pm 

VBCoder wrote:
OK, I agree with MM, a Shard is not a good place for beginners. It is best if they wait until MOULA comes back up. It really won't take that long in the greater scheme of things.

It is nice to be pedagogic. But most people are not idiots (or at least I like to believe so). They will find their way around, don't worry.

If I put myself in a place of a keen gamer who just discovered there is a huge and very interesting Myst-related multi-player online game, and the main server is going through some maintenance, yet there are other versions available, and someone tells me I shouldn't go there because I am a mere "beginner" but should wait instead (for an indefinite time) - would I wait?
Certainly not! :) I'd plunge right in, sorry. ;)

And I am sure lots of gamers would do the same.

Mac_Fife wrote:
Keep in mind though that to get a shard working you need to have a workable download of the game files from MOULa first. I think you can still manage to get that even though the MOULa database is down, since the client does all the download and patching before trying to log in.

Now that is a bit more convincing :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
RockArdemar wrote:
It is nice to be pedagogic. But most people are not idiots (or at least I like to believe so).
I'm not an idiot (or at least I like to believe so), but I had to look up "pedagogic" so your pedagogic skills were lacking here. Ironic, isn't it? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
I had to look up "pedagogic" so your pedagogic skills were lacking here.

I never said I was pedagogic ;) -so no skills were pretended.

Anyway, the point was elsewhere, not in the pedagogical skills; what I meant is : you can tell someone not to do something (e.g. play here or there) and some will obey and others will not.

Last edited by RockArdemar on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:57 pm 

Well, as a new player who hasn't had the chance to play MOULa yet, I can definitely see people's point either way. I'd say it comes down to personal preference. Some player like myself would rather wait for a 'vanilla' MOULa experience, and maybe dabble in other shards and such later, whilst others may find they can't wait any longer and want to get on asap.

Given that I've recently got Uru:Cc working now (thanks to the friendly cyan support staff) I'll be keeping myself occupied with that until MOULa is available :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:49 am 
Obduction Backer

In responce to Chogan's message, It's good to know what is going on at least. I was getting a little worried wondering what was happening since I wasn't able to get into MOUL after sept 16th.

I hope it shall be back up this week because I'm starting to miss those other worlds and seeing my firend =D

"beauty behond treasures, is light before your eyes"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:07 am 

And according to Chogon in his message here we ALL get to start all over again - from scratch. Silver lining - at least we will have a game to go back to. 8)

See you all in the Cavern soon. :mrgreen:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 am 

Mister Magic wrote:
I take the opportunity to inform all players of FMT that they should not be afraid of losing data on their progress because it has nothing to do with servers Cyan. All data are stored on my own computer, and also with the backup.

Mr.Magic, does this latest piece of news afect our FMT quests and how?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:36 am 

RockArdemar wrote:
Mister Magic wrote:
I take the opportunity to inform all players of FMT that they should not be afraid of losing data on their progress because it has nothing to do with servers Cyan. All data are stored on my own computer, and also with the backup.

Mr.Magic, does this latest piece of news afect our FMT quests and how?

What I can say is that it is not a problem for me to recreate new robots. I already did that. In addition, it will not be too complicated to transfer backups players FMT to their new avatars, but this may take time.

From what I've read, it is necessary that each player tries to recreate their avatar with the old name. But anyway, the #KI will not be the same.

All backups are made with FMT NAME players and not with their #KI. So, I repeat, it is necessary that each player tries to recreate their avatar with the same name. But if that is not possible then I will transfer the backup files manually.

But there are more serious.
Not only avatars may be lost but the hoods and other ages that are related, images and markers games.

Each object has a GUID in Moula.
If the GUID is corrupted then all that is related to magical ages will be lost, such as SDL of these ages.
That would mean I'd have to redo all the magical ages and those of FMT.
It would take me a huge time to do that.
So if that happens, I'd have to close my magic ages and unfortunately the FMT .

But remain optimistic and expect to reopen the cave.
I will do my best to make bots and magical ages are available again as quickly as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:42 pm 

VBCoder wrote:

Well, I'm not trying to teach anyone anything here. If I was, I would have listed all of the reasons. I was just stating my opinion. Sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way. I still stand on my opinion.

So, OK, here is my teaching moment:

I am not the most experienced here, but I have used a few of the shards. none of them are using all the same code that MOULa is. Some use the CD as a starting point, The game is different there, it was designed for single users, so many of the puzzles are different. The others use a current install (an older version) of MOULa . This is closer to MOULa but is not going to be the latest version. So they are all using different Physics and lack the latest bug fixes and upgrades (bottom line, a different experience).

Note:
Thanks to korovev, Though the game itself is older versions, the client can be more current (and also different with more commands).

Installation is difficult for all of the shards except Gehn. The Gehn shard is the only one that has a single install program. The others require many steps to get it running.

The shards, for the most part, expand on the original experience and are best suited for those that want to go beyond MOULa.

For those that are more knowledgeable than I am, please correct any assumption I have made here.

Shards I have visited:
Minkata, Gehn, The Open Cave (TOC), UAM and MOULa of course

I have not visited Deep Island as it requires the Complete Chronicles CD and though I have more than one of them, I don't know where they are right now as I just moved to Florida and they are in one of over 100 boxes (30 + years of hoarding).

Bottom Line, the decision is yours to make.

Last edited by VBCoder on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Both Gehn and TOC have automated installers that can download the required datafiles, though I don’t know if they can do that right now.

Also, both have a more bug-fixed client then MOULa.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next