How bad is this on a scale of 1 to 5?
1 - I don't think I can continue 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
2 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
3 - Mixed feelings 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
4 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
5 - It doesn't bother me 56%  56%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:52 am 

Everything has reset... is it worth starting again?

I just discovered that everything has reset, and everything I did is gone forever. Is it worth starting again? I think that losing memories is one of the worst things in the world, if not THE worst thing. Starting again just feels... I'm not sure how to describe it. It just feels awful. I had completed everything and had lots of people in my KI, which was also full of pictures. Now there is nothing. While I love Uru, I don't know if I can continue after losing everything. My laptop's hard drive broke a month or two ago, so I had to get a new hard drive. I don't know if anything on it is recoverable. It seems that almost everything Uru related that I had is gone now. I don't think I need to say any more, even a small section of this post would get the message across.

Am I the only one? Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm known for two things at the moment, my Myst inspired movies and for recording the Mysterium live feed. If you have any questions, or just want a friendly chat, send me an email at [email protected].

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:01 am 

Thanks for the post.

I feel the same way as you do.
I was a little more lucky, because my Ki pictures
are still on my computer.

I, and some of my friends, have very mixed feelings about
this. But, what do you do? Complain? That is useless.
People say it is a new beginning. I feel a little different.

-Nicoleleigh-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
What really has changed? KI numbers?

I made a lot of good friends in Uru, and (almost) all of them have come back. (In fact, some of those old friends who had been away for a long time have returned. I'm not sure that would have happened without the reboot.)

Things were starting to get a bit stale, and we were beginning to take our Cavern for granted. By starting over, we get a reminder of what we really have.

We can make new memories - and we have a good chance at some new content.

One door closes, another door opens. Or as a wise man once said, "Perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 am 

Although I am not happy about it, URU is still a great game and it is not difficult to recover from this. I do not need to resolve the puzzles I have already completed as I already know the solutions. This is not like other mmos where if this happenned you would lose months of leveling up some character, you have lost what it would take only a few hours to reclaim at most.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Lost count of how many vault wipes there were since 2003. Does us all good to get back in the swing :) Maybe it's a clean slate to add new content to?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can understand the feeling, but I have to ask this: what does matter more to you*, a bunch of pixels or the actual people you met online?
And if you valued those pictures so much, have you ever looked for a way to save them in a safer place, knowing well that Uru Live have been cancelled time and time again?
I’m sorry if you feel offended by this, but realize you have your own part of responsability in saving the things you value.

* A generical ‘you’, not the OP in particular.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:40 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Many people here have been through several vault wipes so this is not a new experience for them, but what perhaps makes this one a little harder to bear is that the vault has lasted more than twice as long as it ever has before, so it seems like a bigger loss. But as korovev states, the people that were there before the crash are still there, it's only avatars that have been lost. Although it may not be for everyone, plenty of people have created more then one avatar and building the progress of a new avatar is just the same as recreating your main avvie. Besides, many people are actually finding it fun because it takes you back through parts of the game you may not have thought to revisit for a long time as well as needing to get some teamwork going again for door runs, etc.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 am 

launton wrote:
Maybe it's a clean slate to add new content to?

that's what I was kinda thinking I just figured that the server had accumulated so much unnecessary junk over the years that the best way to set up the server for new content was the vault wipe. although it did (unfortunately) put a rather large dent in the Cavcon meter

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:15 pm 

I didn't know that there were even a thing as vault wipes. I understand if people don't login for a year and get deleted, but I don't totally understand the idea of wiping everything, including people who are active.

I spent a huge amount of time a few months ago to get myself up - and this is my first wipe. When I reinstalled uru last night and went to the explorer selection screen; my mouth dropped open upon finding that my characters were gone even though I had the right login.

Plus I had to hunt around to find out about the wipes. From the point of view of a new player (I'm not new to myst, but I started uru about a year ago) - having your characters deleted after putting in alot of time and not having some kind of sticked post or some way to inform new players of vault wipes - is not conductive to trying to get more people to play and thus donate.

Reading this thread made me feel better that I'm not the only one. But if I didn't find out, then I probably would just walk away and never touch uru again.

As for playing again, I'm mixed. It's easier to start where you left off rather than start all over again. Especially when you have to get the communicator (i forgot the name of it) to be able to message people, and re-discover the teleport sites.

How often are the wipes anyways?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:28 pm 

Well, I'm not expert on vault wipes myself, but...

...This last one was not intentional. It was a breakdown of the computer hardware on which the database/vault needed to run.

One of the vaults wipes in the past was used to move the story along, as far as I know...(which was the Great Scream). The others were merely the creation/restoration of of the cavern during the various versions of Uru. I personally hope we don't have to experience this again for another 4 years or more, if not ever.

As an aside, some good things did likely happen because of it, so much like life, we'll just have to find some positive growth, to take along with the bad experience.

Anys, just my thoughts on the matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 pm 

I did some more research and found this: http://forum.guildofsleepers.org/viewto ... f=15&t=407

Makes sense about wipes being used to advance the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Fireether wrote:
How often are the wipes anyways?
Vault wipes are generally avoided like the proverbial plague, because of just the angst that many players like yourself have experienced over the past few weeks.

Historically, and in "public" terms, a vault wipe has mostly occurred in Uru simply because the game shut down, e.g. after the Ubi sponsored Beta was dropped, after GameTap dropped the previous incarnation of MOUL. The "Great Scream" on D'Mala was slightly different as it was case of transitioning off the old UU platform to the new GameTap MOUL platform - it was still a server shutdown since there was a need to switch over to a new, incompatible code base and database system, but it was able to be explained in storyline terms as one flowed into the other.

For people who've been involved in some of the Closed Beta Tests, then they could have seen a vault wipe every couple of weeks during testing.

To put some numbers on it, the vault had been in existence since January 2010 (just prior to MOULa going public in February 2010), so had been running for about 4 years and 8 months before the crash. Technically you could argue that the last "wipe" was in April 2008 when GameTap MOUL closed down - there just was no vault at all until 2010. Either way, this is undoubtedly the longest that any (official) Uru vault has lasted.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Do I rightly remember vault wipes being rather common during the early Until Uru days? IIRC, back then someone could and would import an avatar from the offline Uru that had some of the Path of the Shell content attached, which would mess up the vault.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:32 pm 

I found the reset to be rather refreshing. It was a challenge to see how much I could do without help. I have found most of my buds, and made new ones. Going to an All Guilds Meeting was the best way to refill my bud list.
I was two weeks getting everything set properly....fireflies, fireworks in my relto, and my beloved tunic. I love this place and it would take more than a vault wipe to get rid of me.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:03 am 

Is this a fresh reset that has happened in the last few days. I am still getting authentication fails when I want to play.