It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

FCAL's are required regardless of version you are working for be it MOULa, the other online version, or Uru CC/ABM. I have a FCAL for working with the Intangibles project, I also applied for one about 5 years ago when I started building for Uru CC.

Anyway, we should probably keep this on topic. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
I think the "other kind" that korovev is talking about is not the Gehn kind, but the "That Place" kind. The former is fine license-wise because it is based on standard MOULa and the additions are purely fan-made, but the latter uses... something else, which is technically not legal. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the "other" kind is legal, then why are we not allowed to discuss it here?)

I'd say, there's no need to bite our tongues, dgelessus and all lol ... :P

All above mentioned shards are completely based on MOULa, be it as a MOSS or a Dirtsand server and the CWE client for us, if I understand that correctly ... What is not welcomed or even not allowed to be discussed here are just the so called hacks of the offline versions of Uru and resp. tools, like D...... and the O......KI etc., which are used to test the fan ages, which is not yet possible on MOULa based servers ...

Why it is not welcomed here to talk shard based stuff is obvious, this would just produce too much clutter and confusion for the mods and esp. new explorers on the MOULa shard ... Those shards have their own forums for all those wanting to have more information on the installation of them or how to even write ages etc. ... Adam of the GoW e.g., who owns and provides the server for the Gehn shard, would not be very happy if we'd go and talk MOULa stuff on the GoW forums ... everyone gets the point here lol ... but we can mention the shards and provide links for further information if it'd serve in any way like in this case or in case of special events or so ... :)

Ok, I hope and believe that clears that a bit and makes life maybe more easy here (and keeps our tongues healthy for a good laugh and all the cookies and stuff lol) ... :D

Besides: I almost forgot the one all this information is provided for ... Urobulus, how was your first day and adventure (again) in the cavern? Did you even find time to go and explore? ... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:40 pm 

Location: Montreal, Canada, Land of the Lumberjacks and Maple Syrup rivers.
I jumped in real quick this morning (and the other day I think?) but didn't go further than the Neighborhood and obtaining my KI... Didn't see anyone in the hood but saw recent visitors on the imager.

I will put more time into it soon; wife and I are still putting more time together on Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:45 am 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
I think the "other kind" that korovev is talking about

Yes, this is what I was referring to.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:51 am 

ventris wrote:
Make sure you come to the public Ae'gura through the Nexus and not your private instance that you reach through the book in your relto.

WAIT, WHAT?

You mean, the fact that I have never seen another player in the game is that I have been visiting a private instance of the central area without even realizing it?

Alright, what is the proper way to reach the shared public space?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
You need to find a Nexus book. There's one in your Hood, in the book room. The book in the center of the room will take you to the Nexus. (I'm assuming you have your KI.)

When you return to your Relto (after having visited the Nexus), you'll find a new book on the shelf: a yellow book with a green star on it. That's your Nexus book.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:56 am 

Subject: Game and community still alive?

keybounce wrote:
ventris wrote:
Make sure you come to the public Ae'gura through the Nexus and not your private instance that you reach through the book in your relto.

WAIT, WHAT?

You mean, the fact that I have never seen another player in the game is that I have been visiting a private instance of the central area without even realizing it?

Alright, what is the proper way to reach the shared public space?

Yeah, this actually happened to me....

On my third or fourth day visiting the cavern I encountered someone named The Stargazer in a Hood classroom who took me to Eder Delin, and then her Kemo. Honestly, I was surprised to meet another explorer in the game. I assumed Uru was more like Myst and Riven with just solo play.

Not understanding instancing, I spent the next few months just exploring on my own. My computer then died early in the summer, and I didn't get around to redownloading the game until late august or early september. Wasn't really involved in the community much during this point, although I was mainly surveying the city working on a project for the GoC on a welcome map/brochure. This was how I met Prof. Almaron becoming part of DMoA, and eventually the GoMe team after attending the Cavcon party by joining the Cavern Criers.

Anys, long story short...These things happen, sadly.

Welcome to the community, keybounce! I hope you meet some great people here. Oh, and to the Stargazer...I don't know if you recall meeting me back then...but, wherever you may be, I wish you well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:35 pm 

Alright:
1. How does instancing work (I attempted to read the detailed explanation post, and did not understand it),
2. How does accessing the public / shared areas work (probably more important), and
3. How do I go to the shared public space from my starting private relto?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

In reply to question 3, get the manual (links in this post: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22388) and read page 15 - That explains getting the KI, finding the Nexus and getting to the public City.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 am 

keybounce wrote:
Alright:
1. How does instancing work (I attempted to read the detailed explanation post, and did not understand it),
2. How does accessing the public / shared areas work (probably more important), and
3. How do I go to the shared public space from my starting private relto?

OOOkkay.. here we go.

In that shack in your Relto, is a bookshelf, with several books... some of the books are already on the shelf, some of them only appeared after you found a book somewhere and used it once...

MOST of those books link to your 'private instances', versions of the Ages that are for your personal use as a player, and they keep YOUR progress only. A few of them are "neighborhood instances" or "hood instances" --- versions that can only be accessed from your hood. I don't think any of the books on the shelf lead to PUBLIC instances.

The first book on the shelf has a blue cover with a gold design. This book is your 'neighborhood' book; there may be only one page, or several pages that take you places in your hood.

Second book on your shelf will be the 'Nexus' book-- yellow cover, with a green steampunky 'gear' logo on it. This takes you to your personal Nexus.. everybody has their own nexus--- this is known as a 'personal' instance.

Far as I know, the only way to get to the public city, is from your nexus...

When you go to your nexus, there's a place to put your hand/ki in, and a screen pops up with 4 choices on the left: City Locations/ Private Links/ Public Links/ Personal Links.

*The "city locations" are the PUBLIC city. Here's where the gang is!!!!
*The private links? Presently I have NO private links in my nexus; I think these are links to other explorers' Ages--- places where you can go, because an explorer sent you an invite via Ki mail, to let you in.
*The Public links are all OTHER neighborhoods; yours is there somewhere, unless its private.
*The Personal links are the Ages you have been trying to solve. These are your "personal instances".

Anybody can go in the public instances.. they are public, and found on everybody's nexus.
Anybody can go in the hoods that are on the public links, too--- if they are on the list they've been made public.
Only YOU can go into your Relto--- unless you invite someone personally, by actually standing next to them and sharing your book with them.
Only you can go in your personal ages (personal instance), unless you invite someone else on a person-to-person basis. i.e. send them an 'invite' or share your Relto book.

Here's where it gets confusing.. IF you want to help someone with their personal Age, you have to START from their Relto and use the books on their shelf. But, once you are helping someone-- long as you keep linking from one personal age to another personal age, you will still be in that other player's personal instance.

THIRD book on your shelf is a bit confusing, too... It's a brown cover, you can see a 'fence' style shape that appears in the city, there's a circle with a stylized handprint on a glowy purple circle.. this is the City book. Lots of pages that link to spots in the City---- BUT, it doesn't take you to the PUBLIC city.. the locations in this book are all 'hood' instances of the city.... a version of the city that is only accessible from your neighborhood or your Relto. I have almost NEVER seen any of my neighbors online, in 3 years of playing this game, so it's likely your hood instance of the city will be empty.

But... if you use books in the HOOD-- those usually take you to a hood instance. Like the garden Age-- each hood has a garden, and anyone in that hood using that same book, will go to that same garden. and be there together.

As I said.. far as I know, the Nexus is the only way into the public instance of the city.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
keybounce: Do you have your KI?

If not, there's a video link in my signature which will probably be of more use to you. Yes, it's a bit dated (circa 2006), but everything - except the GameTap reference - is still relevant.

Good luck!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

janaba1 wrote:
Why it is not welcomed here to talk shard based stuff is obvious

Sorry to get back off topic, but I’ve just remembered an official page that makes all this ‘secrecy’ a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Haha, that is really funny, korovev, and it confirms even more my above more practical reasoning (to keep exchanging information about them on their forums for obvious reasons, but of course acknowledging them here and exchanging links and upcoming events etc.) and my suggestion to just stay cool and enjoy lol ... :P

I don't feel this to be off-topic btw, korovev, as it is very important for the aliveness and functioning of the community (which is part of this topic) to have this cleared, and to be open to all versions/shards of Uru/Moul when even Cyan opened the way already ... So, yeah, great find lol ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

The city instancing is one of the things that needs to be changed with new Uru content such as DIRT and Intangibles. This is a niche game where the community needs to be as close as possible. Also, even despite this, I loathe instancing in MMOs. ESO did this and it was one of the main reasons it failed. You couldn't quest with people because the megaserver kept instancing players.

Give me a big open world sandbox as a living breathing world where people can hang out, interact and do stuff and you'll have a successful mmo.

If you want examples of what the game should be like (as Cyan initially intended and hopefully will be in a few months) then check out Chloe Rhodes DIRT blog here

Read about the instancing. She just completed merging every city area into the public city. This means when you go to Tokotah Rooftop or Sharper's Office you'll see other players in chat who are down below (you might even see them from afar). Also the game beginning has been fixed by having a public Cleft. No more Relto confusion or single player Cleft like in Prologue. From there there will be two options, going down the tunnels to the city or going to Relto. The tunnels will also be public I think.

Uru had a lot of issues when it came to gameplay balancing. Hopefully we can fix these with new updates since the game is open source.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:55 pm 

I was wondering the same thing as the original poster, but since I'm only beginning, and have no idea what I'm doing, I'm not worried about the place being a 'ghost town' - I'd be more worried if the whole thing would be taken offline before i'm able to finish parts of it, or before even beginning to understand what I am doing at all
:)