It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Recently about a week ago on Tuesday, I tried to run URU and for the first time in ages, since the previous day when the upgrade was added, URU laods twice with the cirle spinning around the linking book and then ends with a stack error. It does this on all our mac computers over here. I've been using the old gametap verion of URU wrapped in wine.
With the downloaded gametap version, I originally had to replace that file in the data folder with the new copy that I downloaded from the URU site. II can't remember on the spot what the exe file is called but I remember that it took a long time before we could even get that way to work on both My Mom's imac and my Imac. My Mom actually had to do another step where she threw some files in the trash from the game data folder and then restarted the computer so that URU would recreate those files. Then it opened and worked perfectly.

Now with this new upgrade she tried re-installing URU but stil gets the same new stack error problem and we both think that the wine wrapper has become outdated. So we're trying out bootcamp instead but I have a couple questions

With bootcamp instead of the wine wrapper, how do you even go by replacing the wine wrapper in the data files? If you don't have to , do you just run bootcamp and just turn on URU?

Any help is appreaciated.

-Estari

"beauty behond treasures, is light before your eyes"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Estari,

Sadly, it sounds like you are encountering the Mac bug that seems to have crept in with the last update/rollback. Pretty much all of us Mac folk seem to be getting hit by this. You can read more about it starting here (though it looks like you have cross-posted this to a number of other threads discussing similar problems).

At this point, there probably isn't much you can do to fix this. I am guessing we will have to wait for the OpenUru folks to develop and roll out a fix.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it's worth repeating that only those who are using the Cider wrapper are having problems. The Wineskin one really is worth the trouble. You can probably just transplant the Uru Live folder from one wrapper to the other, to avoid reinstalling everything.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:18 am 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
I think it's worth repeating that only those who are using the Cider wrapper are having problems. The Wineskin one really is worth the trouble. You can probably just transplant the Uru Live folder from one wrapper to the other, to avoid reinstalling everything.

I would like to know How to replace the wineskin in the data files of the game. I thought it was wine wrapper I was using but if so I would love to use wineskin instead of bootcamp on my imac. I find it makes URU way more easier and conviniant to use when you don't have to restart the computer and run bootcamp before using URU.

I'm not good at this tech stuff so any help is appreaciated. =D Since the update right before the Christmas month pretty much began, I can no longer run URU on any of our Mac computers. I was using the wine wrapper for all of them and it's always worked fine until now. It's very bizzar. URU runs fine on my PC laptop but on Mac I get a Stack Error after the loader book on the black screen which now loads twice instead of once like it used too. I'm clueless. Any suggestions.

-Estari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am 
Obduction Backer

The symptom you are describing suggests you’re using Cider, not Wine. While I can’t help you with the migration to Wineskin as I’m not using it myself, note that a workaround for the issue with Cider has been discovered in the meantime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’ll try to explain, but I’m afraid I’ll make it sound more complicate than it really is ;)

So, first you need the Wineskin wrapper itself. If you rather not build one youself, there are a few ready-made ones from PaulTheTall, The Porting Team (or my own archive).

If you’re using the Cider wrapper, ctrl-click (or right-click) on it and select Show Package Content, then navigate to (you’ll need to right-click again on the second Myst Online app inside it): Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/ and copy the Uru Live folder somewhere, like the Desktop. You can remove the transgaming folder inside the copy, as it is only needed by Cider. (Could it be this that makes it more vulnerable?)

Alternatively, if you’re using Bootcamp, you can copy the Uru Live folder from the Windows partition and use it as it is.
Perhaps you have some files in the Windows Documents\Uru Live folder, like logs or avatar pictures; you can copy those in the equivalent Mac Documents/Uru Live folder.

Now open the Wineskin wrapper package like before and launch the Wineskin application, then click Install Software > Move a Folder Inside and select the Uru Live folder. If it asks for it, choose UruLauncher.exe as the executable; otherwise click Advanced > Browse, then select UruLauncher.exe (it’s in Program Files/Uru Live).
In my wrapper, under the Options tab, I have Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for windows... selected and Force use of system installed XQuartz... unselected. Now you can close the window and launch the wrapper normally.

When you quit the game you’ll still get an error message, but that at least can be safely ignored :roll:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for the info, I shall experament and see what I can do.

I just found out on one of my Macs that it uses Cider for URU as one of you suggested. My Mom's copy however, she says runs on wine. So I shall experament with both ideas I have been given for different macs over here and see what happens.

Hopefully, my Mom and I shall be back in URU very soon. :D

Thanks you so much for all the help it is very much appreaciated :D

-Estari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:28 am 
Obduction Backer

I have descovered that My Mom's computer also has the Cider wrap version of URU
so I have tried out Ainia's suggestion and I am in URU playing right now for the first time on a mac in a whole month!

Thank you so much!
I am so excited that I can take screenshots again and see URU on a nice big screen with better coloring then my little PC laptop. =D

I know now that my Macbook pro also has Cider because I copied this version from my Mom's computer to it when I set it up. So I think mine was all Cider and what a simple solution. Only remove two files and it works! Thank you! :D

My Mom will be so excited when she finds out :D

-Estari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:09 pm 

Have been using the method of removing files before launch these months but now get a new error. The game launches. I can go to relto. Even some ages like Kadish. But going to Bevin or the city will land me with the spinning symbol sometimes, and sometimes the spinning stops, black screen with symbol frozen and ambient sounds coming but no image.
:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:13 pm 

Don't know what the problem was. :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 am 

Gannet7 is a mac wizzard on ubi forums for all Myst games. Maybe you might PM him over there :!:
Here is one of his post about a Myst 4 installer app. on a mac...
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/45 ... -Installer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Recently both on my wife's Windows computer AND on my Intel "Hackintosh" we have observed a problem in the 4th Age of Ahnonnay. After the chair ride finishes and when the chair begins to rise upward toward Kadish's "office" area, the avatar's head is seen from above to rise, but then only the head appears, and then he/she "falls" and is sent back to Relto.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

[Edit: Jumping/running multiple times while the chair is rising "freed" the avatar from the bug.]

Last edited by wstrohm on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

If it is the same as the other falling out of the Ahnonay chair problems there are whole threads about it. Kadish cursed that chair.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:33 am 
Obduction Backer

ventris,

Thanks... sort of a newbie here. But see my edit above.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Welcome wstrohm! No problem. I was going to include links to the other threads but kids interrupted before I could look them up and I wanted to at least point you in the right direction.