It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

WHEN MOUL is working, it works flawlessly on my Intel/"Hackintosh" running Yosemite. But logging on is problematic. Very frequently starting up the log-in process hangs at "Checking for patcher update." And sometimes after getting through that quickly it hangs on "Connecting to Server." Yet at other times the entire loading process goes very quickly, and I am at the avatar selection window lickety-split. I am now assuming there is no problem on this end, instead the network connection between my computer and the MOUL server is "iffy." I have no such problem with browsing the Internet, using e-mail, etc.

Wife's Windows computers seem not to have this problem. She is on the same network as my Mac.

(My network connection is via Ethernet through a Netgear N600 dual-band cable modem/router, hardline connection, although the modem is also a wireless type. ISP is Time-Warner/RoadRunner.)

Is this a fairly common problem with MOUL?

Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, today when trying to log in, I am getting an immediate stack dump after the TOS and patcher update. I have no idea what changed since my last visit, but for now, I'm stuck outside the cavern. :evil: Are any other Mac Cider users seeing this?

Don't know when I'll have time and inclination to troubleshoot this. Any thoughts about what might be at the bottom of this would be appreciated...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nope, working fine for me when I attended the cavern tour today. Had you solved the problem when you arrived or were you not on Cider then?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, the problem remains unsolved, I was using a Wineskin wrapper instead. However, that one tends to be more glitchy in general than the Cider so I'm still hoping to find a Cider solution.

Glad to know it's not a universal problem then... but I'd still like to know if anything has changed recently. It will help to narrow things down. Tor'i hinted that Chogon was doing more than maintenance earlier this week, so I'm wondering if that might have some bearing on this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Me, too @Ainia. I was just in, and sad to hear you are having problems, as you solved the big Mac log-in problem for me before. But I'm still using Mountain Lion, and I think you've updated to Yosemite?

The only Mac-related problem I have now is in two places, anywhere near the light garden, when it becomes extremely hard for me to move my avatar, and in the Great Zero antechamber, when I have to approach the KI machine backwards! For some reason those places are incredibly glitchy for me.

Member of MystiTech Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Update: As happened once before, the better part of a year ago, it seems that after a sufficient number of reboots, my Cider wrapper has settled down again. Which means I was able to attend today's cavern tour using Cider. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm 

lteyn63 wrote:
Me, too @Ainia. I was just in, and sad to hear you are having problems, as you solved the big Mac log-in problem for me before. But I'm still using Mountain Lion, and I think you've updated to Yosemite?

The only Mac-related problem I have now is in two places, anywhere near the light garden, when it becomes extremely hard for me to move my avatar, and in the Great Zero antechamber, when I have to approach the KI machine backwards! For some reason those places are incredibly glitchy for me.

About the slow and hard to move area. This is an unexpected graphics problem. I suffer the same on one machine. In the light garden, in a Bevin or Kirel, it is the many light sources that reflect in the water that causes the graphics processor to work extra. You can turn off the lights in the garden and notice the difference.
In rezeero it is also a light effects intensive area.

on a minimum spec'd PC it is normal to have lag in these areas and you must compensate by minimizing resolution, turning shadows off etc.

I have a mid 11 imac using mavericks that behaves in this way. There is nothing in the hardware spec that justifies the problem. I run URU on an old 2006 hp laptop, an older c2d imac and a macbook pro with lower spec than the problem machine. All macs use cider and only the fastest mac with the best gpu suffers. I will start trouble shooting to see if there is any third party software running in the background that is the culprit. Or if the machine is a bad egg (road apple :) ) or something else.

MR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oooops!

Just happened again... identical to Ainia's problem; stack error ("Breakpoint") just after clicking "Accept" on the Terms of Service Agreement. Tried twice, same result. (10:05 am PST Jan 05) Presently locked out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rudolfson wrote:
lteyn63 wrote:

About the slow and hard to move area. This is an unexpected graphics problem. I suffer the same on one machine. In the light garden, in a Bevin or Kirel, it is the many light sources that reflect in the water that causes the graphics processor to work extra. You can turn off the lights in the garden and notice the difference.
In rezeero it is also a light effects intensive area...

Strangely, on the same iMac when I was running MOULa with Leopard/Snow Leopard it was Eder Kemo that was impossible for me. I regularly froze or crashed out of the game. I was expecting the same problem when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, but no problems at all in Kemo. And I even managed to get the hut decoration Relto page, which I had never managed to get before.

But now it's the light garden.

I will try turning the lights off and see if that makes a difference...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm going to state right up front that I'm pretty clueless in a Windows environment. I'm hoping you can bear with me and help me out.

I ran MOULa for years using VMWare's Fusion without any trouble. I recently upgraded to Fusion 7 so I can use Fusion while running Yosemite for another Windows based program I need. I knew there was an inadvertent data wipe for MOULa and hadn't the time to check into recreating my avatar until now. I'm running Windows 7 inside Fusion 7.

I was able to create my avatar. (And it's still there once the bomb has happened and subsequent restart.) But when I enter the world (mind you this is essentially for the first time since my character was wiped), I hear the warp sound, the flickering walls graphic loads... and that's it. I lose my mouse altogether and there's no sound. No combination of keystrokes brings back my mouse save the one to knock me out of Fusion altogether. The walls slide by for a little while... no sound, no animation... (honestly I can't remember what's supposed to happen at the beginning because it's been so many years but I know it's not this) and then I get the following error in a popup:

Quote:
UNTRANSLATED: Network error 6, Disconnected From Server.
protocol: Game Server

Does anyone know what I need to do?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm 

Adar wrote:
I hear the warp sound, the flickering walls graphic loads... and that's it. I lose my mouse altogether and there's no sound. No combination of keystrokes brings back my mouse save the one to knock me out of Fusion altogether. The walls slide by for a little while... no sound, no animation... (honestly I can't remember what's supposed to happen at the beginning because it's been so many years but I know it's not this)

The animated film that used to appear at this point, has been removed, i think for copyright reasons over the software. Far as I know, the 'flickering wall' still comes up, and at that point... on a windows pc, I think you'd hit the 'escape' key??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:28 pm 

I recently installed MOULa in a Winebottler instance on my Mac, after I had a few issues trying to make things happen with Wineskin (mostly 'Checking for patcher update' issues, even though it had already correctly gotten the correct Cavcon data). Never had the whole launcher stack dump, just sit there waiting for a connection.

I didn't fiddle with any of the Winebottler presets, and I believe I created the package, manually copied in the game data files from my Windows sans root dir executables and dlls (i.e., the non-data files) into the package, and then installed the patcher in Winebottler to that directory. I had none of the issues I had had with Wineskin (which I never really troubleshooted fully, so you may not replicate that problem).

I don't know. There are so many variables between Mac environments, and then potential Wine wrappers and engines, it's not necessarily easy to nail down what causes these issues.

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Adar wrote:
... the flickering walls graphic loads... and that's it. I lose my mouse altogether and there's no sound. ...
Does anyone know what I need to do?

This might be a quite simple fix, which has to do with the fact that they had to remove the intro video. Basically you only get the flickering walls graphic when you first start the game with a new avatar. The only way out (I believe) is to hit the 'esc' key. That should then load the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you both for answering - yes, it was the escape key. I guess I tried everything except that. It is comforting to know that all is working as usual in the universe including my faulty memory for details...