It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:13 am 

(FYI - Although the forum says so, this thread was not started by me. The original author's posts were removed from the thread for reasons that don't need to be explained in public.)

There isn't much that can be said about this until Windows 10 is out - although there are public testing versions of Windows 10 available, they are technically very different from what will be the release version of Windows 10. Even if MOULa runs on the current Windows 10 testing builds, it might not on the release version, or vice versa.

What I can suggest though is to remove the "Get Windows 10" thing, it's basically adware that Microsoft installs for you using Windows Update. It isn't known what exactly the program does (except for displaying annoying messages), but it certainly doesn't serve any use unless you really like to see Windows 10 ads. See this and this Infoworld article for more information.

Last edited by dgelessus on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:46 am 
Obduction Backer

timw9000 wrote:
Just giving a heads up about what Get Windows 10 checker reported.. And being that MOUL depends on an old outdated piece of software that MS says won't be supported anymore, I thought some people might be interested.

I'm disinclined to believe PhysX won't work. I especially don't trust any advice any upgrade tool gives me (but I don't trust OS upgrades either, I always blast everything away and start over from scratch).

Aside from that, you would be amazed how much effort Microsoft puts into making sure legacy software works. (There are entire subsystems in the OS dedicated to supporting old software.) PhysX has been used enough that it wouldn't make sense for them to break it or let it break without a very good reason.

timw9000 wrote:
it will DL in the background

If you only have 1.5mbps down and have to share that with the rest of the house, this is a very bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 am 
Creative Kingdoms

What Adam and dgelessus have said. dgelessus, I think Nev'yn meant the Microsoft icon - not you. ;)

Folks, I've been doing software development and computer and network support services generally for <mumble> decades now. My advice for all of you is to let Microsoft screw up the computers of all the early adopters first. Sit back and watch the drama unfold, then when everything is fixed, maybe, maybe think about upgrading to Windows 10, but only if you have a specific need for the upgrade. And by that I mean, if your computer controls your pacemaker or something mission-critical like that (but I would caution anyone who puts their life in the hands of the Windows OS). Windows 7 is a great OS otherwise. Get rid of the nag icon. Be happy. You won't need to do anything right away. Wait it out. You have a whole year from July 29. And even then, is your time worth the hassle? If you stick with Windows 7 for another five years, you're not spending the money anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:43 am 
Creative Kingdoms

By the way, removal of the Windows 10 icon from the systray goes from simple to modestly difficult. I'll just describe simple, but reference the others for those who know how already and don't need instructions:

Easy: Click the arrow next to your system tray and click Customize. From there, change GWX’s dropdown to “Only show notifications” or "Hide icon and notifications" to have it disappear altogether.

Moderate: The executable “GWX.exe” autostarts through the Task Scheduler. Remove it.

Moderate: Uninstall KB3035583.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 am 
Obduction Backer

What a helpful thread - thank you, everyone! Annoying icon duly hidden. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Acorn1 wrote:
What a helpful thread - thank you, everyone! Annoying icon duly hidden. :D

Yes, indeed ... everything, KB and tray icon (also from the notification area), properly removed ... Great, everyone, and I love my Win7 ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:24 am 

I am currently running the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview on a couple of PC's and I have no problems with MOUL and can enter the cavern and move around with no problems.

Rather than using a specific version of the old Ageia PhysX software, I have installed the NVidia PhysX (Legacy) package that was released in November 2012 and states it will work with older games released around 2007 and includes all old PhysX versions up to 2.7.0 and 2.7.2. I have been using it on all my PC's with Windows 7/8/8.1 and have never had any issues with MOUL. The Windows 10 installer has never flagged the NVidia Legacy package as not being compatible before I upgraded so there should not be any issues.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12 ... river.html

Also, as Windows 10 is only around 2 months away from being released (July 29), there will be additional major changes made before release and they will mainly be tweaking stability and performance in the upcoming Windows Insider builds so it is expected than anything currently working should continue to work properly up to and after the RTM build has been released.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 am 

Nev'yn wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
What Adam and dgelessus have said. dgelessus, I think Nev'yn meant the Microsoft icon - not you. ;)

Folks, I've been doing software development and computer and network support services generally for <mumble> decades now. My advice for all of you is to let Microsoft screw up the computers of all the early adopters first....Windows 7 is a great OS otherwise.

This.

The timing of those posts must have been unfortunate - Nev'yn's post was five minutes after mine, so I assumed it referred to my previous post. In that case please ignore what I said and excuse my unfriendly tone. :)

timw9000 wrote:
Geez , I don't consider get Windows 10 adware.... If you agree to reserve FREE Win 10 now, it will DL in the background and be ready to install with your permission on July 29, less than 2 months away.

You must have a Mac or Windows 7..

Both of the above - I'm using a Mac with a bootcamped Windows 7 installed as well. This actually made me somewhat worried about GWX.exe, the last thing I want is some program automatically installing an *operating system* in the background and possibly making the OSX half of my computer unbootable. It's unlikely that it would automatically do the installation and mess up the partitioning in the process, but it's still not a risk I'm willing to take.

And don't get me wrong, I am actually looking forward to Windows 10. I was never planning to upgrade right away though (otherwise I would have installed the test build), partly because it's new software that *will* have problems, and because I'm on a Mac and would prefer that my drivers remain compatible. In any case I don't like it at all when Microsoft pushes out an "important" update with a very vague description that does nothing but tell me how great Windows 10 is.

Also what AdamJohnso said regarding bandwith issues. Even if you have a little more than 1.5 mbit/s it is certainly annoying to have a multiple gigabytes large download without knowing about it. It would also be quite inconvenient if the download started e. g. while using your phone as a hotspot, unless you have some kind of unlimited LTE flatrate the Windows 10 download will both slow down your cellular data connection and use up your entire data volume.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

A bit OT, as it’s not related to PhysX in particular, but there seems to be other considerations to make in deciding whether to update or not:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... high-cost/

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]