It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:18 am 

This is an idea I had a long time ago that I recently decided to go ahead and implement. If people like it and want more, I may add to it in the future. The idea was to reward Uru exploration via custom marker missions with little unlockable prizes, like you see in many other computer games.

So, to that end, I've created KIQuest! Here's how it works:

-In MOUL, the player searches for markers in a specific custom marker mission. Each marker gives the player a password.
-In KIQuest, a standalone program run in a separate window, the player enters the passwords in the appropriate places and earns points, which can be used to buy prizes like images, documents, and extra goodies. Think of KIQuest as being a separate KI, on your other hand, not visible in the main program. The program does not interact with Uru in any way.

You need both the in-game marker mission and the standalone program to play KIQuest.

KIQuest can be downloaded at http://www.florestica.com/hpotd/kiquest/ or at http://www.allthingsuru.com/AllThingsUru/goodies/KIQuest%20v1.zip. The download size is only about 22 Mb.

As of right now, KIQuest works with 1 custom marker mission containing over 60 markers, hidden all over D'ni and the Ages. If you want to play, post your KI# below and I will send you the mission. Alternatively, you can also get the marker mission from Magic Bot--PM "sendme 3557071" to the bot.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Screenshots!

Let me know what you think of the game and if you want more added!

Once again, the program can be found here: http://www.florestica.com/hpotd/kiquest/, or at http://www.allthingsuru.com/AllThingsUru/goodies/KIQuest%20v1.zip. Post your KI# in this thread and I will send you the marker mission that goes with it.

Last edited by Carl U Palmner on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:44 am 

It might be a good way for me to go back on MOUL.

Can I have a copy of the quest please?

My KI # is in my signature.

Thanks!

And great initiative BTW :D

----

EDIT: Say? You are a funny guy, aren't you? I really enjoyed your FAQ, especially the very last question. I'm sure it is one question often asked! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:20 am 

Anna--Marker mission sent. Enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

There's a correction needed for the KIQuest Manual. You don't have to run every Great Zero mission before you can play custom marker games. All that's needed are the first two missions, the ones that have green and red markers. Those two unlock the doors to the Calibration Chamber. When those doors are unlocked, you have the ability to play custom missions.

You can't create custom marker games until you finish all the Great Zero calibration missions with yellow markers, but if you just want to play custom marker games, it's not necessary.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

sounds similar to my Hood Quest series when I get a chance I will play it, here a link viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27883 the idea is you need to complete the marker mission in game before reading then read the story on the forums and it will give you a clue to your next destination in game, so sort back in forth to make the forums and game more interactive. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Alert for Mac folks: :!: :idea:

I have created and uploaded a Wineskin dmg file containing the KI Quest, so all you need to do is download and install per usual. The dmg is about 195MB and the installed app is about 402MB. :shock:

I have only tested it to ensure the menus work; I haven't yet tried to do any of the marker quests, so please let me know if you have any problems using the app.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:47 am 

So far so good!

I've already unlocked everything EXCEPT the "?" black box.

I miss 3 markers. The '1', the '5', & the '47'.

I have 18 points & miss 5 more (3 markers above). Those 23 additional points are not needed though. The only goodie left is the "?" black box which is not earned with points.

The 2 other markers I'm missing are most likely in areas not visited yet. I know "theoretically" where they are located.

I would recommend it to any explorer. It's easy to understand, the program made by Carl U Palmner works smoothly. You can run it while being in MOULa. You enter the answer in the box and hit enter.

Example: 2 - XYZ <-- in-game

In KIQuest, you click on '2' with a lock, you enter "XYZ" & hit Enter key or click on the check mark, you earn 1 point. You repeat.

The answer for 2 is NOT XYZ :wink:

The game is enjoyable, the goodies are nice, you have stories, images, new skins for the program, & new buddies (although the last one is odd... it doesn't seem to be working or I'm missing something somewhere...). Great work Carl!!! :mrgreen:

EDIT:
The marker in
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jalak
is very easy. I was only using the wrong PC. It took 1 try on my old PC to get it.

Last edited by Annabelle on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 am 

Thanks Annabelle!

In the future, could players please not post marker locations or at the least, post them in spoiler tags?

BTW: It might be more fun to play KIQuest with other explorers, working as team, splitting up to cover more ground or sticking together for more observation power.

In my opinion, the toughest marker to find is 47. I may end up having to leave a hint or two about its location here. I may have hidden that one a bit too well...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:31 pm 

Great so far, one minor suggestion for the program.

It would be nice if the "collections" view would indicate which markers you've found and which ones you have remaining. I keep needing to switch back and forth between Collections and Markers to see how many I have left before unlocking a collection.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:43 pm 

Please send me a copy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 pm 

Deck 15 -- will do.

Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to...

...find the elusive #47?
...unlock the Mystery Picture in the gallery?
...be recognized as a "KIQuest Champion"?

My guess is that no one has found #47 yet, or at least, that this marker is giving several people no end of grief. So I'll post a hint in spoiler tags in this post. All the hint will tell you is what Age or region to look in--nothing more. Even this much info should narrow the search down quite a bit, though.

The 47th marker is hidden somewhere in...
[Reveal] Spoiler: this place!
Space Ahnonay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I try to run the program with a batch file, I get:

Code:
>start "" "C:\Uru\KIQuest\KIQuest.exe"

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 21
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 1577

Error: Error running function 'game_start':
Error: Null pointer referenced

Is there a parameter I should pass?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 pm 

I guess it doesn't work with batch files. /shrug

Should work just fine if you just run it normally, though--i.e. double-click "KIQuest.exe"

Unless you are running Ainia's Mac version, in which case, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, I was trying a different approach, as Wineskin can run batch files. Oh well :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm 

Deck 15--I'm having trouble adding you to my buddy list. The KI keeps telling me "PLayer added", but there's no one new on the list and no one on my list has your KI#. I dunno why it won't let me add you. However, you can get the marker mission from Magic Bot--instructions on how to do this are in the manual, as well as on the florestica download site.