It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last edited by Tweek on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Thank you soooo much everybody who was involved in writing this up.

In think this is really really important for everybody to understand so that all players can act respectfully towards each other and each one of us can understand where another may be coming from.

For a more in depth explanation of the In Cavern approach, check out on the DRC Forum, OOC section.

Last edited by ireenquench on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

For the benefit of the 3,500+ members here, who are you to be giving us “Uru Live IC/OOC Standards”?

Also, who is “we” in this post?

I have a major problem with the last sentence under RP. “They can disapprove of people acting OOC when they are role-playing, because they feel it destroys the immersion of actually being there.”

OOC should be able to disapprove of people RP’ing. Tis only fair. Are we all not equal here.

Is this an Official Cyan statement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:10 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Last edited by Tweek on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Its cool lego, semp (who was the one who suggested this idea) was just point out some things that we neglected that really should be on there. I have spoken to Rawa about this to see if we can get some sort of offical endorsement, guess we will have to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:16 am 

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:32 am 

The challenge is going to be (and seems to be in every game) all of us are going to be paying to be in the Cavern. To use a real world analogy, there are places in the game (the City mostly) that are shared by everyone, the public square or playground full of kids. Some kids are playing a ball game, some kids are playing 'cops and robbers' or 'cowboys and Indians.' And other kids are doing things I can't even explain. But it is all happening in the same place at the same time.

A lot of other games have much stronger frames of reference (fantasy or tech or future settings very unlike reality) than Uru does (U-R-U, today, just 3 miles under the NM desert). This is one place where the U-R-U concept can actually work against the community—when the IC/RP & OOC groups find themselves in the same area competing for the same resources—chat, locations, kickables, switches, ligh. What happens when an IC/RP team running a story/recording/whatever only to have OOC people show up and start making changes that the first team didn't account for after the action has started. What happens when two mutually exclusive player IC/RP events happen at the same time, in the same place? (This last one might actually be worse.)

Does the standard provide a guideline for those of us who are already here? I would say yes. We transitioned from the shards to D'mala without too much mess. We've help two elections for what nominally speaking are IC roles (players working with a fictional entity) but have since mixed IC and OOC conversations into the whole. We can come to agreements and honor them. I don't see anyone running recall polls. But I don't think any of us want someone running around the city saying “Quiet on the set. Your dark lord and master is about to do his RP. May the Maker have mercy on any who get in your dark lord's way.”

Does the standard provide a guideline for those who have not yet even heard of us, but will be joining us here someday? The uber-power-gamer coming in from GT who finds us here, but doesn't get our desire to do IC, RP, or OOC play in this setting that's as old as DIRT?

At some point, we are all going to be paying customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek is working with a small group of people to define the different ways that people will play Uru Live, based on how people played the previous online version of Uru. I think that, for the purposes of emphasis, they put playing styles in very distinct categories. Yes, this is a volunteer effort. In my opinion, they have done an excellent "first step" in defining different playing styles.

In reality, I think that the playing styles are a lot more fluid. "OOC" is one example. In my experience, most OOC players do not treat the virtual environment as if it is "not real". They have a fluid adaptable style of play. People talk about "what did you see" and "is that gate open", but they also talk about their real life, about game issues, all that. If other online games are any indication, most players will not be roleplaying - they will be (sort of ) "out of character". I realize that Uru Live is different from other MMO games, but virtual worlds and online games have been around for awhile. I'm assuming that some aspects of playing styles will be the same as other online games.

From what we know now, Cyan will not be having separate servers (shards) for strict roleplayers. For most (though I'm sure not all) other MMO games there are roleplaying servers. As far as I know, Cyan does not want to have separate roleplaying shards, so in the common areas, we'll be together.

The challenge is to figure out how to play together so we all have a great experience, while keep it relatively uncomplicated, friendly and fun. One of the first things that Tweek and his group are attempting to do is to define different playing styles.

This is a good time for all of us to be thinking about how we want to do it - how can we come up with guidelines for play that aren't too complicated, and can help us get to a fun and friendly playing experience for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's a question of interpretation, isn't it, semp? "Can" wasn't intended as "are allowed to" but "may / might". Perhaps "could" would be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last edited by mszv on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer