It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Windows 10?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 am 
Obduction Backer

I think I'll stick with Win 7 and Linux since I've never really been one to upgrade the second a new OS comes out. Besides, I don't really have any software that would benefit from the upgrade, and I've always been one to let other people work out the kinks.

If you do the bleeding edge you're bound to get cut.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 am 

Artic_Wagon wrote:
cpt-jericho: Are you implying that everything that people produce with Microfoft applications do belong to Microsoft ? Is Windows 10 a freebe or are we able to buy a copy ?

Who actually got a 100% free Win10? Those who yell "free new Windows" forget about the fact that they pay for it with their Win7/8 license. Anyway, that wasn't what I tried to imply. You pay for it with your data, too (yes, I know, you can opt-out most things. But I dare say that 90% of the end-users either won't bother changing the settings or just don't know about it). As far as I can see Win10 is spy-ware in OS guise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

So is this The Return of the Sith or The Empire Strikes Back?

Unnlimmmited Powwwer!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:11 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Twitch wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Nonsense. The first thing Windows 10 asked me after it installed was IF it could send these things to Microsoft. This sounds like a load of FUD designed to scare people.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/444 ... botnet.jpg
This looks pretty real to me.

AdamJohnso wrote:
You want to turn off the build in antivirus? Oookay. :roll: In my experience it's pretty good and only fires on real problems.

It's not a question of it firing on real problems. Two issues:
1)It sends files back to Microsoft for analysis. Any file it wants to, without your permission.
2)Having two antiviruses on one computer never works well, which means everyone with win10 is going to be forced to exclusively use Defender... which means that virus makers now only need to bypass one single virus scanner instead of dozens of different ones.

When has it EVER been a good idea to TAKE AWAY options from the end user?
When have you ever LIKED options being taken away from you?

There are several things I'm not too sure about with Win 10, so I'll be waiting to see what develops, but there a few things that need to be corrected here: The composite screenshot is from a Preview version, maybe 4 or 5 months old (as were most of the links you posted previously) and many things have been changed in response to user feedback prior to the final release - in fact immediately prior to release, Windows 10 Home users got the option to defer non-security related updates, just like the Pro version - that's just an example, but the point is you need to be commenting on what was actually released to consumers not what was in a pre-release version. As for Defender, if you install a third party AV solution Defender gets turned off until you uninstall that third party software; The auto re-enabling is only if Defender is your only AV solution.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:32 am 

There are 2 main things keeping me from moving to Windows 10 on my main computer (with Windows 7) :

1st) The loss of Windows Live Movie Maker;
2nd) The new Edge Internet Browser which is too new to have a working version of AdBlock Plus.

One of my main activity is to do video editing ( I know there are other programs out there but none as easy to use as WLMM is) & I'm so use to browse without any ads that I can't stand 1 minute of browsing on systems (family/friend) not equiped with an ad blocker.

On my secondary PCs with Windows 8.1 installed on them, it will be a GREAT pleasure to move on on Windows 10, I'm telling you.

Last edited by Annabelle on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 am 
Obduction Backer

MystOnline URU works fine for me under Windows 10, full screen and Windows.
The GOW GEHN shard 1.21 version also worked OK Full screen. But now I got now a problem with the new 1.22 version.
---
Edit 3-8 : A new Update this morning made Gehn Uru also working again in Full Screen under Windows 10 X64. However what I miss is an option to play in a Windowed session.
The Windows 10 AMD video driver obviously has sometime problems in synchronizing with the game in Full screen Mode
----
I also have the local version running and the (GOW) Deep Isle Shard version running again. They require both now a windows setting to run in accordance with the new AMD videodrives I had to install. Otherwise both apps were not capable to go full screen.
I suppose its an AMD Catalyst screen driver issue

The Upgrade caused me a lot of extra reinstallation work, as my installed Apps were not taken over during the process , due to a language difference. I had a Windows 8.1 Pro English version installed with additional Dutch language settings and now got a Dutch Windows 10 X64 version. So just be warned.
I'm quite sure that I selected the English Migration x64 tool Microsoft provides , but the issue might be caused by another x32 Windows 8,1 Dutch version I also use on a small Transformer Tablet / LTP with the same Microsoft Account.

Regrettable is the loss of my Windows Media Center which allowed me to use an Anysee USB TV device with smartcard which made it possible to watch many DTV cable stations.

Last edited by JanB on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:55 pm 

Twitch wrote:
> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

> https://archive.is/3yo92

Is this by chance what is described as "diagnostic and usage data" in this FAQ?

Simply put, the three levels are as follows:
  1. System specs, "basic error reporting", and data on "what is installed" on your computer. The last point is kind of worrisome, though it isn't clear what exactly it means. It might just be the list of apps you got from the Windows Store, which Microsoft most likely has already anyway.
  2. Memory dumps at crash time, "how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often" and measurements of "reliability of devices, the operating system, and apps". They also say that with this option enabled, they can "provide you with an enhanced and personalized Windows experience", which probably means "targeted ads" and such.
  3. "System files or memory snapshots". Though they say that "if an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Twitch wrote:
Reposting this from another forum. Everyone should avoid W10 like the plague.

> Microsoft owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster.

Source (that it is a malware) ?

Twitch wrote:
> Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster.

> Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth serving updates to other computers.

> This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.

Yes, Windows 10 use P2P to download updates, why should it be a bad thing ? It allows to download updates faster.
And you can disable it if you don't want. :)

Twitch wrote:
> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

Yes Microsoft wants to know if Windows is working or not and why, again, is it a bad thing ?
Maybe it collects more data than this but maybe not, why beeing so suspicious ?
I can understand but actually almost every OS (even Linux and previous windows) does it, why trusting some and not the others ?

Twitch wrote:
> You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.

> This means you cannot prevent your PC from sending random files and information to Microsoft for "analysis".

That's the norrmal behavior of a firewall, you can always intall an other one if you don't like it.

Twitch wrote:
>"Device encryption helps protect the data stored on your device by encrypting it using BitLocker Drive Encryption technology. When device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for your device is automatically backed up online in your Microsoft OneDrive account. "

Microsoft takes your encryption key and stores it "for your own good", meaning that all the NSA needs to do is ask them kindly for it, they don't even need to bypass the encryption.

>"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to"

They can download every single file off your computer and charge you with copyright violation. Enjoy going to court and producing reciepts or chatlogs that justify every video, song, and picture on your hard drive.

That's quite a legal requirement for any big IT company. And Microsoft had proven to do it only if obliged by the law : https://www.brennancenter.org/legal-wor ... icus-brief

Lots of things can be criticized with windows 10 but not thoose things in my opinion ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Amen, WeldFord ... Just sayin' ... and let's not forget the fun ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:51 am 

WeldFord wrote:
Source (that it is a malware) ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/ ... _software/
When Microsoft dropped support for it, they never disabled updates for it, so hackers were able to push their own updates in their place.

WeldFord wrote:
Yes, Windows 10 use P2P to download updates, why should it be a bad thing ? It allows to download updates faster.

That also means that you're using your own bandwidth to host files on Microsoft's behalf. I'm not willing to host files for free just so a 60 billion dollar company can save a few bucks.

WeldFord wrote:
Yes Microsoft wants to know if Windows is working or not and why, again, is it a bad thing ?
Maybe it collects more data than this but maybe not, why beeing so suspicious ?
I can understand but actually almost every OS (even Linux and previous windows) does it, why trusting some and not the others ?

Three reasons why it's okay that Linux does it:
You can disable it in Linux
Everyone knows exactly what information Linux sends
Linux isn't doing it for profit

If you installed a random program off the internet that sent mystery data to a mystery server whenever it wanted, you'd call that a virus. Why is it any different when Microsoft forces one down your throat?

WeldFord wrote:
That's the norrmal behavior of a firewall, you can always intall an other one if you don't like it.

If it does in fact turn off when you install your own AV, then yes, it's fine. But if not, then it's a mandatory program that sends files of it's choosing to Microsoft. Way too much power in their hands.

WeldFord wrote:
That's quite a legal requirement for any big IT company. And Microsoft had proven to do it only if obliged by the law : https://www.brennancenter.org/legal-wor ... icus-brief

It's not a legal requirement for them to have your key. Most security companies make a point of NOT having your key so it CAN'T be subpoenad. With that in mind, the ONLY reason why Microsoft would even WANT your key is if they were PLANNING to give it/sell it to someone. Besides that, it just adds more risk for identity theft; what's the point of encrypting your drive if you can just call Microsoft and get the key from them?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I can understand your points, but I don't think it should be avoided "like the plague".

What Windows 10 does is not different from what other tech companies do nor previous Window's versions.
And I think they made a good job of telling exactly what they collect, why and giving the options to disable it, and this transparence turned against them.

Obviously it only works if you trust them, but unfounded suppositions never elevates the debate.

Yes they can sell it and maybe make a little profit but Microsoft main revenue is not here. Maybe they are surprisingly using it to enhance the Windows experience, avoid complaints from customers and prove that the Cloud and Big Data can be useful. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:23 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Here's an article that is a start on helping to control the privacy and P2P update issues on Windows 10:

"Windows 10 Privacy Problems: Here's How Bad They Are And How To Plug Them"

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _them.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:36 pm 

Mouse and Keyboard arent working in game. I can get to relto and control my avie with the mouse but cant click on anything or type, bummed! :(

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

@Race: Are you saying you've got this problem after taking the Windows 10 update?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:40 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
@Race: Are you saying you've got this problem after taking the Windows 10 update?

Yes, funny thing is this game worked fine on windows 10 preview and worked fine on win 8.1 I have set it for compatability but that doesnt seem to do anything. A friend recommended maybe redownloading MOUL.

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294