It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:09 am 

Who is a person managing the site of Guild of Sleepers recently?
http://www.guildofsleepers.org/index.html

Guides in the contents of this site are made very well. :D
Though it is so splendid, it is a shame that it is completed only halfway.

A guide indicating the locations of CGZM is 14 in total, but there is it only to 10 here. :?
I earnestly hope that this is completed. :)

Thanks,
Peke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:07 am 

I believe the Guild of Sleepers has disbanded after some members decided to leave Moula and the website is what remains of it after the forums were taken down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:48 am 
Obduction Backer

So much for a ‘Guild’...

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:28 am 

korovev wrote:
So much for a ‘Guild’...

...and comments like that make all the efforts worthwhile...

As a former Member in the Guild I think that is unfair, as I sense a negativity in that!
But if you strictly speaking define a "Guild" as ONLY the one described in MYST Canon...
then perhaps you're right. It should be not used that Label. Guild...

Like the DOZENS of other "Guilds" should not used that label, that were been created,
for the benefit and fun for us all in MOULa! That were up and running a few months and
then never to be seen again... But I can see no harm in it, if people had fun with it.

Collecting Info and Maintaining a Site that was a great source for Info for some 4 years
takes some effort. There were a very few who were active. It's an ungrateful task and
no "Thank You's" can be expected for it. But negativity you always get without asking!
And I will never, ever understand the reasons for that! Why it's so very easy to bash
on something meant to be beneficial for all...

Maybe that's the reason for many to give up their efforts, the negativity! I think every
effort trying to keep the most possible Info about MOULa On-Line should be applauded...
Many sites are gone now for good, or stopped being updated. For different reasons!
MYSTlore was one of the best ones...

But that's just me thinking aloud here... what do I know!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

A Guild is made of people, if you’re running a site all by yourself, by definition it’s not a Guild.

Creating a ‘community’ site implies the trust that you’re not gonna take it down for petty reasons. If it gains some attention, you pick at least one more admin, or take responsability for maintaining the site even if you grow tired of the community, or at least arrange for transferring that site on a different host. You step down gracefully. Is asking for a contingency plan too much negativity?

I don’t care why it was taken down, the disrespect was in deleting a forum with all the contributions it contained – especially those made by others – with no regards to those who found it useful. Did ‘the Admin’ even care to tell the forum users?

Was there really nobody willing to host MYSTlore on a different server?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 pm 

I think the site was Totally Redone more than a year ago. The Forum might
been taken down then. Reasons for it I don't know. They can be several...

So... why this reaction now? As it should have been more valid a year ago?
Oh... Maybe you people haven't noticed that all before now...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:46 pm 

korovev wrote:
A Guild is made of people, if you’re running a site all by yourself, by definition it’s not a Guild.

Creating a ‘community’ site implies the trust that you’re not gonna take it down for petty reasons. If it gains some attention, you pick at least one more admin, or take responsability for maintaining the site even if you grow tired of the community, or at least arrange for transferring that site on a different host. You step down gracefully. Is asking for a contingency plan too much negativity?

I don’t care why it was taken down, the disrespect was in deleting a forum with all the contributions it contained – especially those made by others – with no regards to those who found it useful. Did ‘the Admin’ even care to tell the forum users?

Was there really nobody willing to host MYSTlore on a different server?

I'm not sure if the reasons for taking down the site were 'petty', it was probably done for personal and financial reasons, who probably felt their time with Moula had come to an end and could no longer give the site the attention it deserves.

Yes, it could have been given to someone else who may have continued hosting it, but it may have been closed down in short notice and there may have not been time to offer it to someone else. There may have been deeper reasons which closed the forums, I can only speculate.

However, it was their forum and content to do with as they wished and it's up to them what they do with it, regardless how anyone feels about it. It is not the first Moul forum to close and it will not be the last and I assume there will be other forums and Guilds start up, some of which will either endure or close in the fullness of time. Some will be for the serious player, some will be for fun. Perhaps when fan content features in Moula, more forums and Guilds will suddenly appear. I'm sure some people will say there are sufficient number of Guilds and forums already without Sleepers and much of the Sleeper content is in some form already posted on some other forum.

In the years going back to Gametap days, I have seem many Guilds/Groups/Forums/Podcasts come and go and I wish some of them were still around today. But I sometimes think gaining and losing groups and Guilds is just part of life in the Cavern and something you just have to accept as people come into the Cavern and leave sometime later, possibly when they feel there is nothing much left to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

m.a.x.2.0 wrote:
So... why this reaction now? As it should have been more valid a year ago?
Oh... Maybe you people haven't noticed that all before now...?

Of course I didn’t notice, I don’t need tutorials anymore, and anyway I have a local copy of the GoG ones, but the few I’ve seen were quite well done. And in fact, it’s not just about the GoSleepers. EDIT: Come to think of it, I had the GoSleepers forum in my feedreader: as far as I can tell the last post is dated April 1st, this year.

B'ni Rabbit. wrote:
I'm not sure if the reasons for taking down the site were 'petty', it was probably done for personal and financial reasons, who probably felt their time with Moula had come to an end and could no longer give the site the attention it deserves.

Then it could have been announced. Does anybody remember a similar announcement for the Sleepers forum? Besides, the static pages are still there, so I doubt it’s an issue of hosting.

The last news regarding MYSTlore I know about are “the admin team is aware of the problem”. In 2013. If since then they decided it was over, couldn’t they have left a notice, at least for a while, or a message to be posted here?

Sites and communities come and go, sure, it happens (one of the lasts is Myst Revival, whose forum disappeared too – anyone else noticed that?), but isn’t common courtesy to tell a community you created, especially when it’s a relatively sizable one, why you’re closing a site?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It may be outside of the admin's control to do anything much - there appears to be an issue with the ownership of the guildofsleepers.org domain name. When I check the ICANN records it tells me that it is registered to an individual in Lancashire, UK (I'm not giving details here, because that would be against forum policies) until May next year, however a search on whois.net tells me that it's registered to a domain marketing firm, DomCollect International GmbH, in Germany. :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

the forum was hosted on a personal server so, if the owner decided to stop...

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 am 

Oh, my. It's down since April this year and people now start to notice. :lol:

But to answer the OP: Alien would be the person to contact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:20 am 

ZZZzzzzzzz...

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
cpt-jericho wrote:
Oh, my. It's down since April this year and people now start to notice. :lol:

But to answer the OP: Alien would be the person to contact.

I've seen Cpt. Jericho occasionally, but I haven't seen Alien in a long time.

As a Sleeper myself, I think those of us in this Guild must share some of the blame. We haven't kept the Guild active, and have moved on. (I notice that I seem to be the only one who bothers to visit the Sleepers' Hood and/or post pellet points. I should probably ask Alien for permission to make the Hood public.) Remember, the whole point of the Sleepers' Guild was to provide an alternative to the Guild of Greeters, but in all honesty, there isn't much we can do that the GoG hasn't already done.

We need some Guild activities, but I have no idea what kind.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 am 

TOOO wrote:
[...] I should probably ask Alien for permission to make the Hood public.)

Why ask her? You're free to bump it up the Nexus whenever you want to. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:08 pm 

Chiro wrote:
Who is a person managing the site of Guild of Sleepers recently?
http://www.guildofsleepers.org/index.html

Guides in the contents of this site are made very well. :D
Though it is so splendid, it is a shame that it is completed only halfway.

A guide indicating the locations of CGZM is 14 in total, but there is it only to 10 here. :?
I earnestly hope that this is completed. :)

Thanks,
Peke

Alien owns & maintains the Guild of Sleepers website, she's on the forum so you can pm if you've a mind to, or I can pass on a message. Screenshots for all 14 missions have been taken (by me, glad to hear you appreciate my contribution to the site!) Alien was planning to touch them up and post them on the website but never got around to it.