It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah b'shemtee!

At today's AGM, I made an announcement about the work I've been doing recently on the Guild of Linguists' website, including a brand new forum, an up-to-date dictionary, and new D'ni language lessons. Unfortunately, I was very pressed for time so I could not go into much detail at the meeting, so I'll write a bit more about all that now.

The resident forum has been transformed from cheap web-host drivel into a shiny new phpBB setup (same as this forum, for example). This gives me vastly more control over virtually everything. It's still somewhat under construction, but for the most part everything is in place (and more importantly, everything does work! (hopefully)). There's still going to be a little bit of funkiness with redirects since there are still two domains contributing pages to the site, but that should be over soon. Any links to the old forums should be updated to the new forums ASAP. Most of the threads have been ported over (thankyou DTC for your hard work helping me with that!) and the old forums have also been archived on the Wayback Machine.

There isn't much to say about the dictionary, other than it is now fully up-to-date. Every known and probable D'ni word is listed, with translations where possible. On the page, they're given in D'ni script to eliminate transcription errors, but you can still view an RTS (Revised Transcription Standard, a modified form of OTS to reduce the number of h's and be more internally consistent) transcription by hovering over D'ni text. You can also get NTS by copy-pasting the D'ni.

There are D'ni language lessons and a D'ni reference grammar in the works, and I'm hoping to release them very soon. The aim with them is to provide an up-to-date resource, since no new lessons or grammars have been written for several years (or anything not directly based on the older literature). They'll incorporate the various discoveries made in recent years, and with any luck, make D'ni even more accessible to the general Explorer population.

The other project I mentioned at the AGM was a rebooting of the DLF's Mysterium publication Rekorokh Deseekaytee (the Book of Puzzles). This was a packet of word and logic puzzles, themed around D'ni and the wider Mystverse. However, instead of producing this for Mysterium, I want to make it a weekly or monthly puzzle, akin to what newspapers do. So, there might be a D'ni wordsearch, or a riddle about Narayan. And, were you to sign up on the forums, you would be able to join in designing puzzles. Assuming, of course, there's enough support from you, the Explorers, to warrant putting in this effort.

I'd love to hear back you, your general thoughts and ideas, and also your questions! I couldn't hang around after my AGM presentation to take questions, so now is as good a time as any.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I think this is in the wrong section, Kath. Maybe the part about the puzzles fits Creativity, but the new GoL forum is a service to the community (and an important one, IMO) and should be in the Spoiler-Free section where it will get more attention.

As I said at the AGM, thank you and all the linguists for keeping interest in the D'ni language alive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, fair enough. If a mod wants to move the thread, feel free.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just want to reiterate that you should not make a new account on the http://www.guildoflinguists.webs.com/apps/forums/ forum - this forum will be removed shortly. Instead, go to http://www.guildoflinguists.com/fora/.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Ah, apparently I didn't specify what old members should do to get in. As it stands, there seem to be two options. Number 1, let me know and I'll forward you your login details. Number 2 (I'm not certain this will work) is to reset your password.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Number 2 worked for me ;)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I thought it must have been what you did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Resetting my password worked for me too.