It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Will you have to buy a new computer to play Obduction?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 20 ]
No 34%  34%  [ 17 ]
I don't know 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
No but I will have to upgrade my existing computer. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 50
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 2484
Location: Ontario, Canada
I still can't post polls on the other forum. I want to know how many people will need to upgrade their computer to play Obduction. Specs can be found here:
http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=804

For this poll, let's assume Cyan's system requirements are accurate.

_________________
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:34 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 982
My reply, "don't know" was because my laptop SHOULD be OK but while the specs are ok, I only have the minimum RAM, and a figure of less than that as "usable", so until I test it, I won't know whether this will be enough.

_________________
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:11 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:38 pm
Posts: 315
Location: France
I "think" I'll have to buy a new graphic card to reach the minimum requirements, but on Windows 10 64 bit...

Minimum:
OS: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer (64 bit for minimum? Woaw! :shock: )
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space (Woaw!)

Recommended:
OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space

My system:
OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti w/1GB
Storage: Not a problem

... I don't have money to buy a new graphic card... :roll:

Edit "My system":
from: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (I don't know what "w/1GB" is, but if it's the graphic card's ram it's ok.)
To: GeForce GTX 560 Ti w/1GB
Thanks to Tomala.

_________________
Image TheScar.fr (In French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 1 idea).
/?t - "jukebox"


Last edited by TheScar(.fr) on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Anywhere
Acorn1 wrote:
My reply, "don't know" was because my laptop SHOULD be OK but while the specs are ok, I only have the minimum RAM, and a figure of less than that as "usable", so until I test it, I won't know whether this will be enough.


What are the specs on your laptop?


TCB The Scar wrote:
My system:
OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (I don't know what "w/1GB" is, but if it's the graphic card's ram it's ok.)
Storage: Not a problem
... I don't have money to buy a new graphic card... :roll:


w/1GB means with 1 GB of RAM on your card. You MIGHT be able to play it with a 560ti, but you'll have to turn down the graphics. Your RAM and Processor are fine, so you might have to upgrade your GPU. And the good news is with the new graphics cards being rolled out, you could get something older for cheaper. So it wouldn't hurt to look at least. In the meantime you could try running Obduction on that setup at medium to low settings.

_________________
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:06 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:38 pm
Posts: 315
Location: France
Tomala wrote:
TCB The Scar wrote:
My system:
OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (I don't know what "w/1GB" is, but if it's the graphic card's ram it's ok.)
Storage: Not a problem
... I don't have money to buy a new graphic card... :roll:

w/1GB means with 1 GB of RAM on your card. You MIGHT be able to play it with a 560ti, but you'll have to turn down the graphics. Your RAM and Processor are fine, so you might have to upgrade your GPU. And the good news is with the new graphics cards being rolled out, you could get something older for cheaper. So it wouldn't hurt to look at least. In the meantime you could try running Obduction on that setup at medium to low settings.

Thanks for your message, Tomala.
I'll try with my current system, anyway, but I doubt that the result will be nice; realMyst Masterpiece Edition was already making my graphic card working hard...
What will it be with Obduction, at summer !? :?
I'll have to stop smoking to buy a graphic card! (I already eat at minimum, I won't stop eating. ^^)

/crossfingers

_________________
Image TheScar.fr (In French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 1 idea).
/?t - "jukebox"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 982
Thanks for asking, Tomala:

my laptop spec is (if I've listed all the right stuff)

Win 8.1 64 bit OS (resisting Win10 so far)
intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @2.50GHz 2.5GHz
RAM 8.00 (7.83 usable)
nvidia geForce GTX 860M
intel HD graphics 4600

It's pretty new, and was pretty high-spec when I got it. It's the usable RAM being less than 8.00 that concerns me.

_________________
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:09 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Anywhere
Acorn1 wrote:
Thanks for asking, Tomala:

my laptop spec is (if I've listed all the right stuff)

Win 8.1 64 bit OS (resisting Win10 so far)
intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @2.50GHz 2.5GHz
RAM 8.00 (7.83 usable)
nvidia geForce GTX 860M
intel HD graphics 4600

It's pretty new, and was pretty high-spec when I got it. It's the usable RAM being less than 8.00 that concerns me.


Oh yeah, you'll be fine with the 860m. :) Play around with it first and if you notice any memory issues see if you can add more memory to your laptop. UE4 is intense when it comes to memory. My desktop runs 12GB, and with two UE4 games that I already own it can use between 6 to 8 depending on how high the settings are. Just to be on the safe side though you might want to run GPU-Z and post what it tells you, just to play it safe. There are two versions of the 860m and depending on what one you have it could predict your performance.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

TCB The Scar wrote:
I'll try with my current system, anyway, but I doubt that the result will be nice; realMyst Masterpiece Edition was already making my graphic card working hard...


I think it did on most systems. That version of Myst ran on Unity, and it was extremely unoptimized. It even made my laptop and desktop (both an R9 290 and an NVidia GTX 560m at the time which are 3GB and 4 GB cards) stutter with constant frame drops. Unity is demanding, but not in the same way Unreal is demanding. Which is why you should try running Obduction with lower settings first.

_________________
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:38 pm
Posts: 315
Location: France
Tomala wrote:
TCB The Scar wrote:
I'll try with my current system, anyway, but I doubt that the result will be nice; realMyst Masterpiece Edition was already making my graphic card working hard...

I think it did on most systems. That version of Myst ran on Unity, and it was extremely unoptimized. It even made my laptop and desktop (both an R9 290 and an NVidia GTX 560m at the time which are 3GB and 4 GB cards) stutter with constant frame drops. Unity is demanding, but not in the same way Unreal is demanding. Which is why you should try running Obduction with lower settings first.

Thanks. :)
/me crosses his fingers until he had tried Obduction, because he don't want to stop smoking... For now. lol
(On top of that, he should move very soon; this isn't the right time to spend money in "hobbies". :P )

_________________
Image TheScar.fr (In French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 1 idea).
/?t - "jukebox"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 3:19 am
Posts: 288
Location: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
While it looks like it would run on my relatively new laptop, which was configured specifically to run CAD and other high-end graphics programs, my desktop machine was originally built to run XP something like eleven years ago, and needs a major update.

I'd already started researching a new system a couple weeks ago when I had a power supply failure, so this just adds data for the rest of my system requirements and a timetable for completion.

Perhaps a little surprising is that my wife fully supports my building a new high-end system for myself. (She has her own systems.) My computers have always been built to avoid becoming obsolete in only a few years, so I don't have to be constantly spending money upgrading. :wink:

_________________
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg


Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:11 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Anywhere
New post over at the Obduction forum:

http://obduction.com/468-2/

_________________
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 1814
Location: California
HEY!
These specs look like they are written to support Oculus Rift. Like many games it will likely run on lesser machines.

In the Second Life (SL) crowd a lot of attention is being paid to Oculus Rift and VR. The point of curiosity is how well SL will run on Oculus. The creators of SL are build Project Sansar because they can't get the level of performance they want for Oculus from the SL system. So, while they list Oculus 'places' in SL in their Destinations Guide, they don't make a big thing of SL being Oculus ready.

The problem isn't that SL can't be viewed with Oculus, the problem is simulator sickness. The lag between head motion and visual response is a cause of simulator (motion) sickness for VR headset users.

It is very likely Cyan is being way conservative in setting their system requirements to avoid liability for any simulator sickness.

We aren't going to know until we can try the software. Some people can stand more lag in the visual response than others. So, some will be able to use lesser hardware than others.

Did Cyan make the specs so Google Cardboard users could view Obduction in VR? We don't know.

_________________
Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:23 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Posts: 1890
The blog post Tomala just linked to is about general performance, not VR-headset performance. It's pretty clear and detailed.

(I need a new computer. My previous theory, that I need a new Mac laptop, is looking weak.)

_________________
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:52 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Posts: 1765
What is this post doing here on the MOUL(a) forum?
Shouldn't this be on the Cyan forum?

_________________
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

_____________________________
How Many Times Does A Myst Player Play Myst Before A Myst Player Decides To Play Myst Again


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:28 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Anywhere
Charura wrote:
What is this post doing here on the MOUL(a) forum?
Shouldn't this be on the Cyan forum?


Your answer is in the start of the thread... Read it.

_________________
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:53 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:44 am
Posts: 166
Location: Wisconsin
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150
Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid
State Drive (SSD)

ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB
3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR RMx RM850X 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
Full Modular Nvidia Sli ready and crossfire support Power Supply

HyperX Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case

_________________
img src="http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q598/rocketdog100/rocketdogTS3.jpg" alt"image"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: