It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old player info!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 am 

Shorah, Explorers!

Some of you may remember me from a few years back on MO:UL, but I'm looking to see where MOUL actually is right now. When I left there was a lot of talk about Open-Sourcing the project, which I gather has been done already, but for someone who hasn't seen a lot of the changes as they happen, are there open-source servers up? Are they based on the main launcher? Where is the best place to start playing Uru Live again?

Thanks for any help and for the read!

~SeaTreader

Post subject: Re: Old player info!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:31 am 

Well, welcome back!!!

I think the biggest problem with comin' back to MOULa, is that right now the "new accounts" process has been disabled. Far as anybody knows, it's going to remained locked until some point after the release of Obduction, when Cyan will have the time to address the problems that led to the lock.

There are other 'shards' that have been created via open source- someone else will have to talk ya thru that, tho cuz I really don't know much about them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:46 pm 

The Open Source project is at http://www.openuru.org/index.php and is the closest "clone" of the MO:UL you remember (now called MOULa -- with the added "again"). I forget how one gains access to it, but their shard is called Minkata and has its own account creation system.

Another shard of interest is called Gehn and it is built off the work of the Guild of Writers. Their platform may vary from the official version (I no nothing of the details and I may be wrong) as well as containing a few extra Ages of fan-made content.
http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtop ... 117&t=5540
Quote:
USE GoW's forum board account --
Your ID & password are your login credentials for the shard.
Use your forum username and password.
Do not use the email tied to your account.

(I'm pasting this info from some old notes I kept, so look for fresher info on their site.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:17 pm 

(Please note what I'm going to say is from an "end-user" perspective, as I perceive things.)

There seem to be 3 major shards in the pipeline:
1. Destiny - Which is as Shard some Age developers use to test out Ages in a "real-time" Moula environment. (Not open for public use, to my knowledge.)
2. Gehn - The GoW maintained "next generation" of cutting-edge Moula tech. Hosts features, developments, and a few Fan Ages. Not a lot new on it lately, mostly because Hoikas and team have been working on a tool to make Age development simpler. Most often visited cause it actually has things to see/do not from the original Moula storyline.
3. Minkata - Another testing shard, but unlike Destiny, is open to public. Not a lot of new content/features atm, mostly used to "push through" fixes, patches, and improvements to Moula. For this reason, kept as close to Moula client as is feasible.

I think I covered everything, and if not, I'm sure someone will be along to chime in their own thoughts and/or corrections on any of this.

(*Nev's note: Not counting TOC, which is its own bahro.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:44 pm 

Nev'yn has detailled 3 out of 4 public Moul-based shards.

For Destiny, you can create an account there, it's open to public but it's a testing shard. To get there, you need an internal client. You have to be a little bit tech-savvy to be able to login there. I created an account there to do some of my "magical" testings. It's not like Minkata Testing Shard though as Nev'yn might have unintentionally let us think in his post. Minkata is the last step before implementing a new feature on MOULa. It's the most MOULa-like shard. The testing occuring there is always pushed to you as a member of the shard. In Destiny, there's no official testing. It's a free for all platform. We can, for example, be 2 users there at a given moment; the first user is testing his/her age, the second is doing "magical" stuff merging 3 ages' prps together in a 4th age. There's no planning. Destiny is like a private shard but public. The "savvy" step to create a private shard is too huge for a lot of people, just like me. So Destiny is a great opportunity.

Destiny shard is maintained by a team called TOC Team. Their main shard though is TOC Moul which is the one Nev'yn forgot in his post. TOC Moul is a great shard if you like exploration. They feature approximately the same improvements as Gehn shard but they are less restrictive than Gehn. Let me explain so you can easily understand... In Gehn, you are limited to the normal behaviours of your avatar so if you cannot reach a certain point or a certain area within an age, well, that's that! In TOC Moul, you have access to a lot of special functions so the exploration field is much wider. They are maintaining an additional age on their shard which offers a real exploration feist!

So to make it short:
4 Moul-based public shards
Minkata Testing Shard - final step before implementing something on MOULa (the most MOULa-like shard)
Gehn Shard - I'll paraphrase Nev'yn here: The GoW maintained "next generation" of cutting-edge Moula tech. Hosts features, developments, and a few Fan Ages.
TOC Moul Shard - A shard for exploration thirsty explorers, you will find all of the cutting-edge of Gehn with some extras
Destiny Shard - A public "private-like" testing shard to do all the nastities you can possibly imagine!