It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey folks,

As much as I LOVE Uru, I've traveled its paths upteen times and have been feeling for a long while that I'd like to visit newer shores. I've not played any MMOs apart from a bit of WoW (didn't really care for it) so I'm not sure what's out there, but I'm wondering if there is anything in existence that might fill the exploration desire as well as Uru does?

Basically, I'd like something that isn't combat focused, that I can just wander around and explore, as one can do in Uru. That is actually my favorite aspect of Uru, the exploration.

I've done a bit of research and it seems Second Life is probably the best bet, but honestly I'm somewhat hesitant about that one.

So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:30 pm 

Oof. Exploration MMOs are hard to find as far as I know. A few of them feature exploration as optional goals (thinking Guild Wars 2 or FF14), but in those you can't escape the annoying combat system.
Second Life seems like the closest thing to Uru (a few Uru fans mention it from time to time), so it sounds like a good choice. But keep in mind there is a very good reason some areas in SL are "adults-only", and it's not because the people who go there want conversations with mature people, if you see what I mean...

Aside from that ? Hmmm, VR chat might be worth a shot. Although maybe that's not such a good idea either since it's a memeland... I never tried it :shrug:

A safe bet is Minecraft, which is a very good alternative if that's your thing. Lots of exploration, lots of mods, combat exist but is really not mandatory and there are a lot of "alternative" styles of gameplay. And people go completely crazy building awesome environments you can visit. It's not exactly a MMO, but there are plenty of open servers AFAIK.
Oh, and it even has a Myst mod. Some people on Reddit start their own Myst-themed Minecraft servers every once in a while. That's a good way to take a break from Uru with other Myst fans. Might be worth asking on Reddit if there is a server available you can join (they might also be able to recommend other Uru-like MMOs).

Best of luck and I hope you have fun :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I joined Second Life in 2008 when MOUL closed and I wanted to stay with the community, but wasn't interested in combat games. The first words I typed in local chat were "I hate this place." But I'm still there and love being able to create there. It's a steep learning curve just to get your avatar, learn to walk, talk, manage your inventory, teleport, etc. But, it's worth the investment in time and patience, IMO. There are some amazingly beautiful places to explore and interesting events to attend.

Once you've chosen your avatar (which you can change at any time later) and log in, you'll be in a safe place where you go through the steps to learn the basics to get around. Take your time here. Once you're comfortable, then you'll want to find friendly people to help you out and answer your questions.

There are hundreds of Uru community members there and multiple Myst/Uru groups, the most active one is probably D'ni Refugees. There are also many communities and groups with similar like-minded people (friendly, PG). I belong to one called Mieville which is steampunk based, but accepting of everyone. You can find either of these groups through the in-world Search and join them. Open up the chat and ask for help.

Extra tip: consider downloading the Firestorm Viewer. Not only is it better than the Linden default, but because so many people use it, it will be easier for them to assist you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm 

Shorah!

There are many Myst style worlds that have been developed by fans of Myst. They are found in a "shard" presented by the Guild of Writers https://forum.guildofwriters.org/ Look for "Deep Island" and the instructions for gameplay. When you have an avatar and your KI, check out the myriad of possibilities in the Nexus!
These are games that range from simple to complex, large and small. I have spent many hours exploring these games and am constantly amazed at the talent of our fellow explorers. One of my favorite developers is Dulcamara, beautifully developed worlds with great puzzles.
Please do not give up on Myst and have fun enjoying these possibilities.

kehnehn gor kogloeht, (it is time we began)
gitsah d'mahlah,
Goren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 pm 

Second Life (SL) is as complicated and varied as Real Life. All the cautions your mom gave you about life are applicable to SL.

The D'ni Refugees is an SL in-world group. Through them, you can keep in touch with some of the older and current Uru fans. Plus they have built some of the popular places from Uru in SL.

For places to explore in SL, there is no end. I suspect no one has seen all of SL. You can check their Destination Guide for interesting places and to get an idea of what is there.

Also, Flickr has a huge SL community posting pictures from within SL. It is best to have a Flickr account, it's free. Fae Forrest these images give an idea. Plus see SL Beautiful Things.

Like real-life SL has a dark side and its red-light districts. You can stay out of those just as you do in real-life. When you download the program (viewer) it has settings for PG, Medium, and Adult. HOWEVER, it is not a place in which you can turn kids loose unsupervised. There are people that are in SL with their kids.

Here I found a bandit dog swiping hot dogs.

While Uru has been static SL has been advancing. People make and program what we call animesh' now. These are things like the dog. He walks around jumps and grabs the hotdog and eats it. This is a recent thing. We are getting more and more of these things. Plus we have pets that follow us around. And we have SHOES like you wouldn't believe.

You can contact Tai'lahr, me, or the D'ni Refugees for help. When you enter SL there is a training island you first rez on. They teach you the basics.

And... you can fly. :)

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image